Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins before surgery

I would like to start taking Vitamins now as I heard it will help recover quicker and I have extremely thin hair so anything to help in that dept is a bonus. Would like a list to hit up GNC. Any suggestions on what I should start on?

Honestly? Get tested first. Then find out what to take. I took Iron before and was told get off it. Each doc is different.

Main things you want to look at? Vits B1, B12, D, Calcium, Iron (get the full panel so it can be interpreted), zinc, folate.

You'll be paying enough after surgery, no sense in hitting your wallet for things you may not need until after.

I second the above poster but I wouldn't shop for bariatric Vitamins at GNC. You need to get chewable vitamins specifically for bariatric patients and if you are going to purchase ahead of time you should start getting used to them. They will be harder to tolerate after surgery. I get all of mine from www.celebratevitamins.com and they are the best tasting of what I have tried, they have many options for each essential Vitamin. I'd suggest:

Multivitamins in grape and orange 2x a day

chewable Iron grape 30mg

Chewable Calcet Creamy Bites 2x a day (my favorite is lemon)

sublingual D3 orange

I prefer Nasobal for B12 but you have to get a script for it..it's a nasal spray you take once a week. The sublingual B12 on Celebrate is pretty good too though if you can't get a script yet.

Good luck..also I don't work for or get anything out of suggesting Celebrate, it's just my preference as far as taste goes which is super important post-op.

Really? No GNC? The woman working there the other day was full of information and said she has a lot of bariatric shoppers. They had chewables in everything. Hmmmm...

I just wanted to make sure what she suggested was close to what everyone here was taking. She even gave me samples of Biotin chewables and they tasted pretty good!

Thanks for the responses!!

Really? No GNC? The woman working there the other day was full of information and said she has a lot of bariatric shoppers. They had chewables in everything. Hmmmm...

I just wanted to make sure what she suggested was close to what everyone here was taking. She even gave me samples of Biotin chewables and they tasted pretty good!

Thanks for the responses!!

Hm, you'd have to compare labels. My surgeon recommends that I only purchase Vitamins (especially multivitamins) from companies who specialize in bariatrics because the levels would be different. I take two bariatric chewables a day versus the 4 chewables not meant for us super Vitamin deficient folks. I'd just find exact specs from either Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage, print them and take them to GNC to compare. If they are the same then awesome, if not you have to decide what will work for you and most likely just take them more often.

I agree with the poster that said to get a blood panel first. my doctor ordered a panel that took 15 tubes of blood. and I found out I was a bit high on Iron so didn't need to supplement on it. vit. B12 instead of everyday I only need to take it every other day due to my level. I know gastric bypass supplements are important more so for you than someone like me that is banded but it would be good to have a level done now so future levels can be compared to. I love adult gummies. costco has a nice one and with a good price tag. they also have a chewable Calcium and chewable vit. b12. and vit b50. I also get my Biotin from them. if you are worried about your hair this is one vit. I would start. it did help me. wish I had taken prior to surgery. good luck on your surgery and wishing you a quick recovery and a uneventful one.