Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery on 07/14 - new to forum

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum. I had By Pass surgery on Monday (July 14th,2014). I actually converted to the By Pass after I had my Lap Band Removed (that was placed in 2005) and the surgeon said he saw my problem when he removed the band and the tubing was broken in two. I am in my Clear liquid stage about to move to full liquids in the next day or two.

My weight on starting was 316 but I kept some off after the 10% weight loss go round and weighed in at 298 for my Pre-op appointment.

I am doing well(I think). I am still taking the Lortab Elixer about 2-3 times a day - is that where others were at this stage or should I be backing off the narcotics already?

I am excited to change to full liquids just because I am really tired of Jello and broth.

Any suggestions for 'Smooth' greek yogurts - My doctor says I can have the kind with fruit as long as it is sugar free and smooth. I have no clue which ones that would include.

Any advice or hints at this stage are more than welcome :)

Welcome! I had bypass June 7. I didn't take any pain meds after the night of surgery but everyone is different. If you feel like you've been on them too long you might want to talk to your doctor.

My NUT recommended buying the fat free Greek yogurt and mixing in sugar free Jello. That gives you the fruit flavor without adding sugar. I still do it sometimes because it's really good.

Best wishes!

Welcome to the world of bypass! I hope you continue to heal quickly. Don't try to wean yourself off pain meds too quickly. Talk to your doc if you aren't sure. This board has so many wonderful and helpful stories. Spend some time browsing the post-op boards and you will find more answers than you even realized you had questions about!! It is a very supportive group, and we welcome you! :)

Thank you Ginger Snaps and Tgarden. I am doing much better today. Off the pain meds mostly...I am taking a dose at night as I seem to be pretty sore by end of day and feel this will help me sleep. I may not need tonight but will judge by how I feel.

My older daughter went to the store for me and got the Kroger Carb control yogurt as it has the lowest sugar but it only has 9 grms of Protein...I either need to add the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury no flavor Protein to this or choose a different yogurt. Like your idea Ginger Snap of adding the Jello powder to the plain yogurt- this way I get the protein I want.

Thanks!

Hi! I had a RNY on 7/15 (with a hysterectomy). I'm home and on liquids. I see so many more options than I was given!! I don't have yogurt in my list. I'll have to call my NUT tomorrow and see what she says. Anyway, we ended up renting a wheelchair because I have five kids (three bio two foster) and couldn't be stuck at home anymore. We went to a local fair and I walked some and ride some and it was lovely to get out!

Anyone restricted on cold items? I'm told no ice in drinks. Is it truly because it will cause pain?

Brannstuff, I was a ice fiend before RNY . I had RNY July 8th. I can't drink ice cold anymore only room temp. Don't know why but it hurts. In Chinese medicine we should never drink cold to achieve physical balance. So I guess I'll just go with room temp.

Edited by mamie60

My doctor explained it to me as akin to "brain freeze" as in the capillaries in your stomach might constrict when too cold? I'm not sure, but I AM sure that I miss ice!!! I saw someone had thin ice cream shakes on their liquid diet, but that seems like it would hurt. I'll get used to it, but it's crazy!

I had my surgery on 7/15. I really have not had any pain, just a little soreness. I have not taken any pain meds since I came home on the 16th. I am getting in 60g of Protein Shake a day and plenty of Water and crystal light. I am so ready for some scrambled eggs or some mashed potatoes. I can handle cold ice water also. I am craving salt so much since I don't like Soups, all the stuff I have been able to have are sweet.

My digestive system has been kind of fussy with what I give it. Does anybody have a really good way to prepare a scrambled egg so that it's tasty enough and not too dry? I thought I might try one today.

My digestive system has been kind of fussy with what I give it. Does anybody have a really good way to prepare a scrambled egg so that it's tasty enough and not too dry? I thought I might try one today.

Try scrambling with some heavy cream if you are looking for scrambled. I am allergic, so no eggs for me. Also, having surgery on the 15th, my Dr said nothing like eggs until after my next appt (on the 31st). I'm on "thin enough to pass through a regular straw". The thickest I've tried is yogurt thinned with soy milk, which went down well.