Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first bariatric Dr.s appointment is tomarrow and I am kinda nervious about bringing up the subject of colon polyps with the Dr.

I had a colonoscopy 4 months ago becuase I thought I had a bleeding ulcer. When it was over the nurse exclaimed "thats the most I have ever seen." OK thats not what I wanted to hear. I had 39 polyps and I am only 37 years old. Genetic testing come back negative. My next colonoscopy is in August.

My question is- Is polyps a contraindication for Bariatric surgery? I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Ask your surgeon. Did they remove the polyps during the colonoscopy? If not, ask that doctor why they did not, as colon polyps can be a precursor to colon cancer. I would be more concerned about that than bariatric surgery at this point.

Yes all the polyps were removed tagged and sent to path. None were cancerous. I'm on the 6 month colonoscopy schedule. But should this interfere with bariatric surgery?

I had 4 removed and am on a 3 year colonoscopy schedule. My bariatric surgeon told me I remain high risk for colon cancer due to obesity history. Losing weight is the best thing you can do for your long range health and history of polyps was not an issue for me. Of course discuss with the surgeon and perhaps even your primary care doc since you have a a more intense situation.

@@micmt There have been many advances in bariatric surgery and some surgeons will even work in tandem with gastroenterologist. Speak to your doctor and see if that is the case. As @@CowgirlJane said losing weight is one of the best things you can do for your body. If you have been having digestive issues, having WLS could actually be helpful in clearing some of that up for you, since your diet will change exponentially and you will be living a new life style in accordance with the surgery and rules that follow.

Before my surgery, I had 5 polyps removed and I was diagnosed with early stages of Crohns.The flair ups I would have prior to surgery were debilitating. Since WLS I have (knocking on wood) not had any digestive flair ups and I have been feeling great.

Don't be afraid to talk to your doctors, especially if they can help by bringing in another doctor to work toward your ultimate goal.

Best of luck to you!

I had a colonoscopy in 2008 where multiple pre-cancerous polyps were found and removed. I was put on Caltrate 600+D twice a day with a follow up in three years. When I did the follow up I had no polyps at all. My surgeons office knows all this and and is still moving me towards RNY. Good Luck and try not to worry.

I had colonoscopies done a couple times and each time they found polyps which they removed and tested. None were cancerous. I had an RNY about 14 months ago. There was no problem.

Talked to the dr today and he did not seem particularly concerned about them. Said basically that he is dealing with the upper section and the polyps are in the lower section. Of course to stay on top if it all and make sure that the gi doc does the normal screenings.

Thanks for posting this and everyone else's input. I've had cancer in the past and my Dad has had colon cancer twice now, it's recommended that I have my first colonoscopy by 40, I'm almost 35. I'm thinking of having one done by 38. I'm not afraid of what they could find, I'm afraid of not doing it soon enough I guess.

Btw, congrats on the clean bill of health :-)

Thank you. I'm excited about getting this journey started. Finally have the support of my wife. I was going to try to start in January or February but I was not feeling too well in my abdomin and now I know why.

If you have a family history then defiantly get looked at. My family is almost gone so I have no history to go by. But I'm thinking my dad might have had some stomach issues. If you are genetically predisposed they say by 40 you could have cancer. I was about 2 years away with one polyp. The real test is in a month to see if it has come back. If so then bariatric surgery will probably be off the table for me. So much to worry and stress about. The problem is just not knowing.

There really is not much on the web about polyps before bariatric surgery. Just a tiny bit about bariatric surgery could increase the risk. But since colonoscopy is usually not required before hand the data is flawed. That's why I posted the question on here.

My father had colon cancer so that made it so that I have a strong family history. I was having severe Iron anemic deficiency and no one could tell where the blood loss was coming from, so when I was 38 I had an upper endoscopy and colonscopy.

They did find 2 pre cancerous polyps and removed them.

My dr told me I needed to come back in 2 years for a repeat study. I had that a few months ago and this time I had four precancerous polyps.

None of my drs ever said that the wls would be a bad decision due to the polyps, and they all know about them and have reviewed the pictures and reports.

The colon is in a much different area that where the wls is performed so I don't see where the problem would be, although I am not a dr.

I do think the your diet would change and you would probably be able to do more exercise once having the surgery and that could only help!

I'm hoping getting the weight off will allow me to become more active. I have been fairly healthy (non-weight) wise up to about 6 months ago. Then I started falling apart with colon polyps, high blood pressure last three times I had it checked, knee pain, major neck pain and I'm sure I'm headed to being diabetic and slipped discs in lower back. I need this weight off. It won't be easy I know. But with two young boys I need to get more active.