Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling to Thailand for 3weeks, will be 2 months postop

Need advice from people who have traveled to foreign countries soon after surgery. I Will be almost 2 months postop by then (i leave the end of this month). I'm worried about getting my Protein in, thinking about bringing a ton of Protein Bars? Thought about bringing a tub of Unjury to mix with bottled Water, just worried about being on the go constantly and not being able to get my nutrients in. Plus im a vegetarian so that limits me more in terms of eating out locally. While in Thailand I will be in Bangkok, then flying to Chiang Mai in the north, flying to a southern province then I will fly back to Bangkok.

Talk to your nutritionist on how to plan for this trip. They will be most helpful in figuring out what you should bring with you and what you can eat of local foods.

There are different types of vegetarians and you don't specify what type you are because that could make a difference of what you can eat.

Nuts have Protein and easy to carry but you have to ask your nutritionist if you'll able to eat them.

Now I'm not a vegetarian but I do buy Kay's Natural protein Snacks and cereals. They have 12g of protein in them and some in individual packages. Ask again if your nutritionist says it's okay to use.

Quest Protein Bars are great and they are made with Stevia. They have 20 or 21 grams of protein in them. These are okay with my nutritionist but again check with yours.

These are just a few ideas but I suggest you find out what the foods are there and go from there to help you plan out a strategy.

Have enjoyable trip.

Edited by Chelly

agree! get your nutritionist involved. I have almonds and pistachios with me at all time. I don't use Protein Powder on my program, I suspect that's going to be a huge part of your travel plan because it's consistent.

I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

I'm having a hard enough time right now, as i'm currently on my first business trip since my surgery. Even though it is only domestic travel (California), it has been quite rough so far.

It'll be another 3-4 months before my next international trip, but I have a feeling I'll be packing a suitcase full of Protein bars and living on 2-3 per day on that trip.

I'm traveling to Belize 8 weeks after surgery. I asked my doctor before surgery (because the trip had already been planned) and he was fine with it.

I talked over the plan with my NUT and I'm planning to take Protein bars, almonds and some of the single packets to make Protein Drinks (like the Syntrax Nectar ones that mix well with water). I'm hoping there will be grilled fish available everywhere since we're staying in a resort on the beach. But several of the tours we have planned include a "sack lunch" and having no idea what that might have in it, I'll need to have my own food options available.

Try to enjoy the local food when it fits into your plan and have backup food for when it doesn't. Most of all, enjoy your trip!

Two months post-op might be too soon for Protein bars and nuts, but every clinic has a different plan, so as others have said, it would be best to talk with your team. I think the protein powders to mix with Water might be your best bet.