Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

26 hours out and things no one told me

Had my surgery yesterday around two and here are some things I discovered that I hadn't heard on this forum yet:

1. They pump you so full of fluids constantly that even if you don't feel like waking you are up to pee every hour so you might as well.

2. Peeing takes forever. With all the anesthesia and pain meds it's like trickle, trickle, trickle.

3. Hiccups are the worse form of pain. Waking keeps the gas at bay, but hiccups come before the belching and it will cause you to miss a step to say the least.

Hope this helps any unsleeved lurking around here like I was for months trying to figure this process out!

Hello,

I had my gallbladder out and had most of the same issues. Plus I couldn't even pee and had to have a catheder. It hurt to laugh and hiccup, it is probably similar with many laprascopic procedures. Does anyone know where spell check is located?

I didn't experience any of those things. My recovery was practically painless. Good luck!!

I'm sorry you had those problems.

I was thankful that I did not have that dreaded catheter. It causes me pain during and even after it is removed. So by not having one, that was one less discomfort.

I didn't mind getting up to urinate. It didn't take very long and I didn't have to go very often. Plus the bed was right beside the bathroom door instead of across the room as in previous hospitalizations. So when I would go to the restroom I also took a walk. First walk I went so far ( high as a kite) that I got lost. Ha! Hiccoughs were not painful for me just annoying; and so was trying to eat. Noise, gurgle gurgle...

I did not have a bed of roses like some do. I had a fever, bad bad headache and ended up being in the hospital an extra day. I had hietal hernia surgery during my procedure as well but did not have the chest pain, discomfort, and burning that some people experience when they have the hernia surgery with their sleeve .

I did have some pain as I expected but not too horrible because the nurses were very attentive to my needs and brought my meds right away: so I soon forgot about it and went to sleep. I did not have a pain pump.

Can't believe it. It was so surreal. Had no anxieties before surgery, but rather; perfect peace. I knew this surgery was for me.

Everyone is so different that we all have different experiences. I am amazed at those who breeze through with little or no pain Meds post op. I was reaching for my Meds up to two wks later. LOL But seriously, pain control aids healing. So if you have pain, please address it, so that the recovery is smoother. No badges are given for suffering, so do yourself a favor: if you hurt, please do take your Meds. Hope this helps pre Sleevers and newbys.

I had gas pain but I used gas x strips and walked. Everyone has a different experience. I didn't have any hiccups or belching. I was ok to pee, no issues there.

I took my pain meds after I was discharged only because they told me to but I didn't feel like I needed them. When I stopped taking them I was perfectly fine.

The worst for me was not sleeping and fatigue. I think the anaesthetic created insomnia. But I seem to be back on track just 17 days out I'm just starting full fluids and getting Protein in and I feel so much better!

Edited by DarbiMolly

I had gas pain but I used gas x strips and walked. Everyone has a different experience. I didn't have any hiccups or belching. I was ok to pee, no issues there.

I took my pain meds after I was discharged only because they told me to but I didn't feel like I needed them. When I stopped taking them I was perfectly fine.

The worst for me was not sleeping and fatigue. I think the anaesthetic created insomnia. But I seem to be back on track just 17 days out I'm just starting full fluids and getting Protein in and I feel so much better!

I used the gas x strips to I took my own..took them when I needed them..they did help me..:)

I had to pee so bad when I woke up and had to use a bed pan in recovery. I wanted to die.

I had to push to pee cause the anesthesia really did a number on me and they were ready to cath me after I sat on that pan for 10 minutes with no result. Ugh. I went !

Peed the entire bed at some point and then 30 minutes later had to go again.

But yes peeing was trickle trickle trickle. Took forever

Had my surgery yesterday around two and here are some things I discovered that I hadn't heard on this forum yet:

1. They pump you so full of fluids constantly that even if you don't feel like waking you are up to pee every hour so you might as well.

2. Peeing takes forever. With all the anesthesia and pain meds it's like trickle, trickle, trickle.

3. Hiccups are the worse form of pain. Waking keeps the gas at bay, but hiccups come before the belching and it will cause you to miss a step to say the least.

Hope this helps any unsleeved lurking around here like I was for months trying to figure this process out!

i didnt have any of these issues, so remember everyone is different!

The hiccups were crazy, mine hurt. My surgery was on 7/14. I also had to have a catheter hooked up because I was filling up faster than it was coming out. Im home now and my main goal is just getting the liquids down.

i didnt have any of these issues, so remember everyone is different!

Yes, everyone is different. And thanks to this forum I was prepared for so many experiences except the ones I described. Just trying to contribute my experiences as well

I didn't have any gas pain issues. I had a catheter the first night, so no peeing. Didn't have any issues once it was taken out either. I had no hiccups either. But I would have said something if I had those issues, swearsies!

I'm now a little over 72 hours post op and I'm home. 2 day hospital stay.... Right after surgery was brutal. I had a hiatal hernia repaired so all my pain was right under my diaphragm. Once I was taken to my room I had to pee. They helped me up and so the dry heaves started. The nurses were very quick to give me anti nausea meds and more pain meds(dilaudid) I fell asleep for 3-4 hours and when I woke it felt line I had been asleep for 8 and I felt so much better. I put on my pjs and robe and took a walk around the hospital floor. I did have spasms but for the most part I was not uncomfortable. I'm home now and I haven't had to take Any of the pain or nausea meds. I will say when they removed the drain before I was discharged that hurt.

I ONLY. Had your #1 issue!!

I went to pee every 1-2 hours from all the fluids!! Gained 11 pounds in a 24 hr hospital stay from all the fluids

No other issues and no pain except gas for abt 20 min