Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had mentioned that I am almost 2 years out at a stall and someone post to look at the veterans post at the 5:2 diet. I tried to follow along but could someone pls explain in "dummy" terms what it is and how to go about it...from what I was reading it was working for those who tried it and I would like to give it a shot once I get it.

From Wikipedia:

5:2 diet

The 5:2 diet, or fast diet, is a diet which involves calorie restriction for two non-consecutive days a week and unconstrained eating the other five days. The diet originated and became popular in the UK, and spread in Europe and to the USA.[1] It is a form of intermittent fasting.[2]

The diet is claimed to promote weight loss and to have several beneficial effects on health; however, there is little evidence about its safety and effectiveness.[3]

Description

The diet specifies a low calorie consumption (sometimes described as "fasting") for two days a week, which should not be consecutive, but allows unmoderated[4][5] eating for the other five days.[6] Men may eat 600 calories on fasting days, and women 500.[7] A typical fasting day may include a Breakfast of 300 calories, such as two scrambled eggs with ham, Water, green tea, or black coffee, and a lunch or dinner of grilled fish or meat with vegetables, amounting to 300 calories.[6]

Proponents say that fasting for only two days a week may be easier for dieters to comply with than daily calorie restriction.[6]

Evidence

See also: Fasting § Health effects

There is limited evidence of the diet's safety and effectiveness.[3]

According to NHS Choices, people considering the diet should first consult a physician, as fasting can sometimes be unsafe.[3]

Reception

The diet became popular in the UK after[1] the BBC2 television Horizon documentary Eat, Fast and Live Longer [8] written and presented by Michael Mosley was broadcast on 6 August 2012 and many books on the diet quickly became bestsellers, soon after.[9]

The diet has enjoyed media attention and celebrity endorsement,[10][11] but its critics have called it a fad diet.

How is it so effective when your only doing it for two days and the rest of the week is just normal Healthy meals?

Thank you so much for all the info.

If you read the 5:2 thread it is explained and many of us have mentioned how we adapt it for sleevers. The original purpose of intermittent fasting is that it extends lifespan. Those of us that follow it (post goal, use it to work off a few pounds in maintenance) benefit from the fasting period (ie longer durations of no food) as well as 2 days of lower calorie. You must ensure your normal days don't become overeating days.

It works...I had been at goal for 6 months and about 5# had crept back on. I lost that plus a few more in just a month of 5:2!

The wiki post misses one of the key points which is to have an extended fast on the two "fast"days. You do that by stopping eating at say 6pm the day before and not consuming food till say noon on the fast days.

I also want to mention that going low carb also works to restart weight loss.

Hi everyone - I had never heard of the 5/2 diet until now. However the concept of alternating higher calorie/good fat days with lower ones seems to be a well known trick for getting your weight loss going again after a stall. My nurse practitioner told me to try one day of higher calorie/higher healthy fats (avocado, olive oil etc) during the week to end my stall - and it seemed to work - my body became convinced that there was no longer a famine in the land :) Then back to normal WLS diet. Glad the 5/2 worked for you CowgirlJane - I'll remember that if/when I hit another stall.

If it were me, I wouldn't use this technique during the weight loss phase.