Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have told some close friends, my family and 3 coworkers but not my bosses and the only thing I'm worried about is that I've only taken one week off work and if I have complications I don't know what I'll do. I'm working on Monday next week and my surgery's on Tuesday so I'm debating on telling them just in case.

I had my surgery on Wednesday and went back to work the following Tuesday without any problems. Assuming no complications, you should be fine. Good luck on your surgery!

Thanks! I'm crossing my fingers.

Well guys this is actually my big day! i report to the hospital at 11 am. I have found that in the past 2 days I have told a lot more people including my grandmother (which means the entire world now knows lol) I guess I figured that since it was definitely happening now and everything was set in stone, it didn't really matter. Here's to a knew healthier start!

Congrats CrystalJae I know it is excited be praying for you. I am 1 week post op. Remember after surgery when u can walk walk walk it will help with the gas pain and help so you can go home faster.

I told almost no one. My kids know, my hubby, my best friend, my sister in law, 3 friends at work. That's it.

I told a handful of friends and family pre-op, but found that post-op, it has been very liberating to be open about it. I've had few, (if any) really negative reactions and have helped several people who have been struggling find a tool to help them get healthy and live better. Being a "poster child" for WLS helps me stay motivated by helping others and I'll be damned if the naysayers will ever see me backslide and get to be right! Extra motivation for me!

I have just told a very selected handful of people who are very close to me because I know I will need their support. At work I told my boss and I specifically asked not to share the details with the rest of the team, he just ask me to just tell them that I was going to be our for medical reasons, this way he will not get bombarded with questions...and I agree with that.

Well the last couple of weeks I have been doing my liquid diet and I find out on Friday that after I told the team that I was going to be out, two of my coworkers that do not have a life... Starting googling what kind of procedure I was going to have because I was drinking shakes... Needles to say that I was furious....

But I guess their lives are so empty that they need to make sure to be in everyone's else business.

@@snowy's mom

According to the LAW, your boss is prohibited from discussing your medical business. Your coworkers are also in big trouble by even discussing the subject without your permission. You should never feel uncomfortable about this decision. This is harassment.

I received a call today 8/26/14 informing that my VSG procedure was approved on Friday 8/22/14!! :) the insurance rep also stated that I have approval for the RNY too!!! Now I'm waiting on the call for surgery DATE

I am telling my boss I am having a sex change operation. She deserves that kind of information.

I am very open about it. While I certainly respect anyone's need for privacy, and understand if there are negative people in someone's life, for me it is not something that I need to be ashamed of or worried about anyone's opinion of, and telling others about it can help encourage anyone who has been considering the surgery. Everyone I have told has been very positive and supportive. I am pretty fortunate to have friends, family, and coworkers who understand and who wish me well, I guess..

After reading the responses from everyone I see we are all over the board on this. As I read more responses the more people I told. I tell people in a matter of fact way that says I don't need your blessing. I have had no negative responses from anyone and most are happy for me. I realize some of you are not in the same situation and my decision is not right for you. I want accountability and if everyone is watching for success or failure it will help make sure I follow the straight and narrow! I hate to fail.

I told everybody and their brother and those that have negative things to say can stuff it.

Basically, this is the route i went... But am less harsh about it. I am open to all about it, when people get negative with me, i nod and smile and say. "Thats nice, and likely an option for someone else, but for me, this is the right way."

Negativity has a hard to continue when I'm being nothing but positive.

Although i do have my moments when i think that if it was all a secret things would be easier. Then i remember, im not much of a private person.. At least not when it comes to my medical issues. Yes, i am that friend on your friends list that takes thousands of hospital selfies, and post them all.

I have yet to find someone who is outwardly against my decision. Even the ones who have expressed worry have all in their own way congratulated me and wished me luck.

Hope whichever path you choose, it is a good healthy one for you.

Dylan

There's no right or wrong answer if we decide to tell people or not this is our own journey. We are all different. It's not a easy journey and we all have to do what is best to make it a success.

My fiancé knows (we live together) and my daughter that's it. Just glad my family lives all over the country.