Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Jalil Illan with Baja Bariatrics and Omar Acosta - A Warning

Chelcey, You said I  have no shame to down basic care.  Perhaps you don't understand basic English.   I am downing a predator/convicted felon/frontman at a Mexican clinic.

My dear, I am not an ass so I do not have to stop being one.  I am concerned about women being taken advantage of by a con man who is probably spreading disease, and the doctor who allows it.   

I will continue to read and maybe post because I care about people.  

I do believe you have forgotten your own words.  You claim those who go to Mexico are just trying to save a few bucks.  Most people in the US have no bariatric insurance.  They either go to Mexico or they sit at home and die of obesity.

I would caution you to be careful when you choose your words.  You have done this repeatedly lately.

Howdy. I am a long-time team illan poster, and I've referred two other people to him. For what it's worth, Omar was helpful to us, though I do think these stories are gross.

At any rate, I am concerned about the post saying that Dr. Illan cuts corners for surgery. I am not being snarky at all; I would genuinely like to know if this is true and if I should be concerned. He seemed very thorough in discussing his technique, supplies, etc., but are you aware of anything different?

You have to get down to basics. How much does it cost the surgeon to do a surgery. The cost of staples alone is astonishing. The cost of the hospital, the cost of paid and trained staff.. you can't do it for $3500. It is impossible. Surgeons that do cheap surgery tend to use black market supplies, veterinary equipment from China, etc.

You get what you pay for, that is the bottom line. You want cheap surgery? You take risks. We are talking common sense here.

Yes, I had read about the staple expense thing, so I did ask about the brand, etc. and asked about it locally (I work in healthcare consulting.) My surgery was $4500, which yes, was cheap. My local quote was over 18k. I'm no groupie and definitely am not looking to add any more drama to the fire, I just wanted to know if you had specific examples of cut corners so that I could talk to dr illan and my pcp to see if I should be worried.

Chelcey, I don't claim they go to Mexico to save bucks, I KNOW they go to Mexico to save bucks and hurrah for that!  I just told my daughter about it.   I waited til I got Medicare to have surgery because I did not have the bucks.  I had no idea people went to Mexico until my surgeon's staff recommended Bariatric Pal.  I would go to Mexico under the right surgeon - no problem with that.  So what is your beef with me?  Are you keeping score here or what?  I am for anyone doing whatever they need to do, I just do not agree with a doctor in Mexico using a man like Omar for bait.  

Shall we discuss affiliations?  Board certification means someone passed a test in their field of specialty.  I find it nothing less than amusing that nobody has brought of the fact that Mexico has board certification in bariatrics and is Dr. Illan board certified?  Why no, he is not.  If your Mexican surgeon is not board certified in bariatrics, do not go to him.  It's really basic common sense.  Something that is clearly lacking in this thread.  Who would want to be a bariatric surgeon and not board certified?  I'll tell you who.  Someone who has yet been able to pass the darn test!

Board certified is the exception to the rule.

To "preform" surgery?  No.  to "preform" safe surgery, yes.

Thank you for giving your opinion on the matter but I was looking for fact. I checked the surgeons through the Kaiser website and all only listed MD behind their name. So in "my" opinion those letter are either not needed or not as important as some may think. I do understand the need for surgeons to set themselves apart from the competition which is not a concern for most Kaiser Dr. However you raised an important issue regarding surgeons being Board Certified.

I have what I need.  I 

Howdy. I am a long-time team illan poster, and I've referred two other people to him. For what it's worth, Omar was helpful to us, though I do think these stories are gross.
At any rate, I am concerned about the post saying that Dr. Illan cuts corners for surgery. I am not being snarky at all; I would genuinely like to know if this is true and if I should be concerned. He seemed very thorough in discussing his technique, supplies, etc., but are you aware of anything different?

You have to get down to basics.  How much does it cost the surgeon to do a surgery.  The cost of staples alone is astonishing.  The cost of the hospital, the cost of paid and trained staff.. you can't do it for $3500.  It is impossible. Surgeons that do cheap surgery tend to use black market supplies, veterinary equipment from China, etc.

You get what you pay for, that is the bottom line.  You want cheap surgery?  You take risks.  We are talking common sense here.

Yes, I had read about the staple expense thing, so I did ask about the brand, etc. and asked about it locally (I work in healthcare consulting.) My surgery was $4500, which yes, was cheap. My local quote was over 18k. I'm no groupie and definitely am not looking to add any more drama to the fire, I just wanted to know if you had specific examples of cut corners so that I could talk to dr illan and my pcp to see if I should be worried.

'

Now..... do you honestly believe a surgeon using veterinary supplies or black market supplies will come clean with you? Seriously?

I am through with this thread. I am through with this site.  I have never seen such sheer ignorance in my life.

I have what I need.  I *am* going to follow through with formal complaints to the proper authorities regardless of Susan's PMs to me.  I know that I have the knowledge of how to do this so I will.

If you go to Illan just know, you are looking for cheap surgery.  Not safe surgery.

then you might as well "go after" all the other surgeons in that price range in Tijuana....funny how it's only Dr. Illan you're after

My doc up here have fixed many a mexican patient. Good luck to all.

You have to get down to basics. How much does it cost the surgeon to do a surgery. The cost of staples alone is astonishing. The cost of the hospital, the cost of paid and trained staff.. you can't do it for $3500. It is impossible. Surgeons that do cheap surgery tend to use black market supplies, veterinary equipment from China, etc.

You get what you pay for, that is the bottom line. You want cheap surgery? You take risks. We are talking common sense here.

This is flat out ridiculous.

Edited by LipstickLady

then you might as well "go after" all the other surgeons in that price range in Tijuana....funny how it's only Dr. Illan you're after

Honey, I have gone toe to toe with MANY TJ surgeons.  Know what you speak of before you open your mouth.

How the heck to I close this account???

I have what I need.  I 

You have to get down to basics.  How much does it cost the surgeon to do a surgery.  The cost of staples alone is astonishing.  The cost of the hospital, the cost of paid and trained staff.. you can't do it for $3500.  It is impossible. Surgeons that do cheap surgery tend to use black market supplies, veterinary equipment from China, etc.

You get what you pay for, that is the bottom line.  You want cheap surgery?  You take risks.  We are talking common sense here.

'

Now..... do you honestly believe a surgeon using veterinary supplies or black market supplies will come clean with you? Seriously?

I am through with this thread. I am through with this site.  I have never seen such sheer ignorance in my life.

I have what I need.  I *am* going to follow through with formal complaints to the proper authorities regardless of Susan's PMs to me.  I know that I have the knowledge of how to do this so I will.

If you go to Illan just know, you are looking for cheap surgery.  Not safe surgery.

No, I would not necessarily expect him to come clean if he was cutting corners, but it helps me ask the right questions. I'm not an unintelligent woman; my questions stem from concern not stupidity.

yeah, that's why they are all still practicing....

thought you were done with this thread?

Dr. Kuri has been arrested by the federales.  Dr. Huacuz has been RE-arrested (the first time it was for a botched plastic surgery he did, this time it is for his bariatric lack of skills.)  And a 3rd surgeon, a plastic surgeon has been arrested.

Dr. Almanza had 2 recovery homes shut down by the federales due to a fatality and illegal drugs.

You really need to open a fogging book, do a google search, know what you speak of before typing or you continue to show your agenda and lack of basic knowledge.

As soon as I figure out how to close this account, I will stop posting, I assure you.

And ya'll thought I was the crazy one!!!

I was beginning to think I had lost what little mind I had left.  SMH.