Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Jalil Illan with Baja Bariatrics and Omar Acosta - A Warning

ChelceyA, very good observations/points'

I thought I'd turned off this thread, but I found another nasty note that'd been directed to my home email from this site. I'll have to figure out how to change that setting in a minute.

I just don't know; to what lengths do you think I've gone, Chelcy? You've said that a couple of times. I did defend Omar. He's not a saint, but he's not who's been painted here. He's had a hard life, and he's made some bad choices, but he's not a predatory, either. I don't have a romantic relationship with him. I am in a happy, healthy relationship. Thank you very much for the sexist rants, though, really.

My issue, and thank you for helping me to clarify my thinking on this matter, is with Susan. I think she's a horrible human being because she's done this before. Maybe we should post some warnings about her. Or maybe, we could just back up and wait to see if she'll pay attention to what's happened here in order to make some better, kinder decisions in her dealings with vulnerable people.

I asked several questions regarding what I came here to ask. Most have been glossed over, so I'm going to ask them again, and I'll keep asking them each time I'm reminded of this thread. There should be no problem addressing them, because unlike the barrage directed at me, these questions do not sink to the level of insult and false accusation. They are simple questions, and it should be no problem to answer them. I'll cut and paste them again now so that you don't have to go find them.

Are you suggesting that ethnic slurs (and now sexist remarks) are acceptable when a person feels slighted by others? Also, I wonder why you responded in the first person to a statement I made to different user of this website. Hmm.

Are you asserting that you do not have a personal relationship with one of the founding members of this website? Is that relationship predatory? Could such a relationship be considered predatory since you are a patient, as well? If I were he, I'd stay well away from someone with such a long list of accusations.

Do you mean that you did not work for a competing doctor at the time of the "discovery" of the first incident? Do you mean that you referred many patients to the doctor for whom a patient died? Are you certain that you didn't take issue with the death of that patient until you were dismissed from employment?

Didn't you seek medical treatment from the doctor to whom you referred patients? Didn't you, in fact, seek medical treatment in Tijuana AFTER you posted that it was extremely dangerous to do so?

Are you sure you didn't "find out" about a personal relationship of Omar's immediately following being denied for medical treatment by one of the medical teams you've accused? Could it be possible that this denial comes, in part, from medical professionals fearing getting involved with someone so inclined toward slander and defamation?

I'm curious as to why, and perhaps you can answer this... Why would women randomly seek you out to confide their deepest secrets if they'd felt victimized? I mean, I'm struggling to understand how it comes to be that a coordinator who is in no way connected to a medical team becomes the personal confidant of SO MANY slighted or victimized patients. Can you tell me how, was it seven you said?, how did these women come to find you to express this very personal experience of feeling "taken advantage of?"

and more recently...

Why do these long time users, these "victims" with whom you've gotten so close, have accounts that don't reflect being long term users of this site? Do you know all 7 of these women personally through another forum or another avenue of life?

You  will never give up defending Omar.  Susan is NOT on trial.  We are discussing a man in Mexico where people go for surgery.  Goodbye a second time, Mastrita.   If I knew as much as you know about Omar's love life, work history, criminal history, poor Omar who is not a saint but has had a problematic life, made bad choices (I don't know these things about my neighbor of 20 years for God's sake), there would be a reason I knew all this about poor Omar, just sayin'.     Now it is your email's fault you came back to say the same repetitive things.  

Edited by LindafromFlorida

I thought I'd turned off this thread, but I found another nasty note that'd been directed to my home email from this site.  I'll have to figure out how to change that setting in a minute. 

I just don't know; to what lengths do you think I've gone, Chelcy?  You've said that a couple of times.  I did defend Omar.  He's not a saint, but he's not who's been painted here.  He's had a hard life, and he's made some bad choices, but he's not a predatory, either.  I don't have a romantic relationship with him.  I am in a happy, healthy relationship.  Thank you very much for the sexist rants, though, really.

My issue, and thank you for helping me to clarify my thinking on this matter, is with Susan.  I think she's a horrible human being because she's done this before.  Maybe we should post some warnings about her.  Or maybe, we could just back up and wait to see if she'll pay attention to what's happened here in order to make some better, kinder decisions in her dealings with vulnerable people.

I asked several questions regarding what I came here to ask.  Most have been glossed over, so I'm going to ask them again, and I'll keep asking them each time I'm reminded of this thread.  There should be no problem addressing them, because unlike the barrage directed at me, these questions do not sink to the level of insult and false accusation.  They are simple questions, and it should be no problem to answer them.  I'll cut and paste them again now so that you don't have to go find them.

Are you suggesting that ethnic slurs (and now sexist remarks) are acceptable when a person feels slighted by others?  Also, I wonder why you responded in the first person to a statement I made to different user of this website.  Hmm.

Are you asserting that you do not have a personal relationship with one of the founding members of this website?  Is that relationship predatory?  Could such a relationship be considered predatory since you are a patient, as well?  If I were he, I'd stay well away from someone with such a long list of accusations.

Do you mean that you did not work for a competing doctor at the time of the "discovery" of the first incident?  Do you mean that you referred many patients to the doctor for whom a patient died?  Are you certain that you didn't take issue with the death of that patient until you were dismissed from employment? 

Didn't you seek medical treatment from the doctor to whom you referred patients?  Didn't you, in fact, seek medical treatment in Tijuana AFTER you posted that it was extremely dangerous to do so?

Are you sure you didn't "find out" about a personal relationship of Omar's immediately following being denied for medical treatment by one of the medical teams you've accused?  Could it be possible that this denial comes, in part, from medical professionals fearing getting involved with someone so inclined toward slander and defamation?

I'm curious as to why, and perhaps you can answer this...  Why would women randomly seek you out to confide their deepest secrets if they'd felt victimized? I mean, I'm struggling to understand how it comes to be that a coordinator who is in no way connected to a medical team becomes the personal confidant of SO MANY slighted or victimized patients.  Can you tell me how, was it seven you said?, how did these women come to find you to express this very personal experience of feeling "taken advantage of?"

and more recently...

Why do these long time users, these "victims" with whom you've gotten so close, have accounts that don't reflect being long term users of this site?  Do you know all 7 of these women personally through another forum or another avenue of life? 

Your hypocrisy actually makes me want to vomit (and trust me, since I've gotten myself a much smaller stomach, I don't like to do that).

'Most have been glossed over' - yes, by you, they have!

You will attack the charges laid by others, but you completely gloss over mine - insisting that you demand answers for questions which are frankly, non-sensical (you would understand that, if you'd actually paid any attention to the actual content of this thread)

Dude, do us all a favour. Don't ask for responses to questions, like you have the right to demand them, without first accounting for your own assertions and behaviour.

'so I'm going to ask them again' - I'm still asking, and all I'm getting is tumbleweed!

'and I'll keep asking them' - Yes, so will I!

'There should be no problem addressing them, because unlike the barrage directed at me, these questions do not sink to the level of insult and false accusation'  - HAHAHAHA, you make me laugh. You make me laugh more than I have chortled on this site for the longest time! Smell any hypocrisy in that statement? Yes? No? <carries on chuckling>

' I'll cut and paste them again now so that you don't have to go find them.'  - HA! But you couldn't do that for me, hey? ;)

I would like you to substantiate the assertions you made about the reports of misconduct being fabricated and sounding 'oh so similar' to previous reports about other doctors' misconduct...

Until you do that? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> There's the freekin' door.

Oh, and don't think I'd be one of those 'gals' that you think you can intimidate through bandying about spurious claims to being ex LE or even a teacher.

Some of us here are well educated enough and well versed in taking people like you to task.

Call it a quid pro quo...

So... until you answer the request I made for you to substantiate your assertions (seeing as you think you're impervious to being held accountable to the same standards). 

Move on chickadee, you're filling up my visual space with utter bollocks.

BTW Mastrita,  are you being paid by anyone to come here and defend/throw smoke/attack Susan and these women for this front man for Mexican surgeons because they (Mexican surgeons) have a lot financially to lose here if women are warned?  Bariatric Pal members have a lot of influence, and if it were not for that Omar would probably still be scouting.  Now he is having to troll the cantinas probably.  Maybe you really live in Mexico, and are not really a teacher in the US.  I would not believe a thing you say.  I know you will not respond to this because you have now turned off the thread and your email notification.  You will never stop lurking here because you are reporting to Mexico.  

Edited by LindafromFlorida

I have never consider having surgery outside of America until joining this and a few other forums which now I am not totally against the idea of plastic sugery in Mexico. So I completely appreciate the heads up that I should be aware of the dangers that exist which include "Omar Gate". However Susan's story is what stands out for me and I want to let her know I am sorry for what happened to her. This thread actually has me more aware of the dangers of online connections. The woman that came forward were also brave but the post lacked the details that are needed for an outside observer (who doesn't know anyone involved) to make an informed decision. However I do agree that there should be a line that is not crossed. I hope that all of the women involved find the peace and closure they seek.

See my answers in red...

I thought I'd turned off this thread, but I found another nasty note that'd been directed to my home email from this site. I'll have to figure out how to change that setting in a minute.

I just don't know; to what lengths do you think I've gone, Chelcy? You've said that a couple of times. I did defend Omar. He's not a saint, but he's not who's been painted here. He's had a hard life, and he's made some bad choices, but he's not a predatory, either. I don't have a romantic relationship with him. I am in a happy, healthy relationship. Thank you very much for the sexist rants, though, really.

My issue, and thank you for helping me to clarify my thinking on this matter, is with Susan. I think she's a horrible human being because she's done this before. Maybe we should post some warnings about her. Or maybe, we could just back up and wait to see if she'll pay attention to what's happened here in order to make some better, kinder decisions in her dealings with vulnerable people.

I asked several questions regarding what I came here to ask. Most have been glossed over, so I'm going to ask them again, and I'll keep asking them each time I'm reminded of this thread. There should be no problem addressing them, because unlike the barrage directed at me, these questions do not sink to the level of insult and false accusation. They are simple questions, and it should be no problem to answer them. I'll cut and paste them again now so that you don't have to go find them.

Are you suggesting that ethnic slurs (and now sexist remarks) are acceptable when a person feels slighted by others? Also, I wonder why you responded in the first person to a statement I made to different user of this website. Hmm.

You are being ridiculous and trying to take the attention off of the real issues here. Stop wasting my time and our member’s time with your ridiculous tactics.

Are you asserting that you do not have a personal relationship with one of the founding members of this website? Is that relationship predatory? Could such a relationship be considered predatory since you are a patient, as well? If I were he, I'd stay well away from someone with such a long list of accusations.

Again, you are being ridiculous. Everyone on this site knows that I know Alex, THE founder of this website, not one of. Then again, everyone else knows him as well. And, once again, your reading and comprehension skills are truly lacking for someone who claims to be a teacher. Of course it is not predatory. I have been a volunteer member of the staff here for years. I worked for Alex for one year as a coordinator until I resigned because, as stated before, I received a promotion at my day job and was no longer able to continue to do both. Next, Alex is not a doctor, so your “Could such a relationship be considered predatory since you are a patient, as well?” statement just screams of ignorance on your part. Perhaps you ought to use your law enforcement skills a little better so you actually know what you are talking about.

Do you mean that you did not work for a competing doctor at the time of the "discovery" of the first incident? Do you mean that you referred many patients to the doctor for whom a patient died? Are you certain that you didn't take issue with the death of that patient until you were dismissed from employment?

I have never worked for a doctor. Sorry. There are those great reading, comprehension and law enforcement skills of yours again.

Didn't you seek medical treatment from the doctor to whom you referred patients? Didn't you, in fact, seek medical treatment in Tijuana AFTER you posted that it was extremely dangerous to do so?

I already answered this. Practice your reading skills and find the answer.

Are you sure you didn't "find out" about a personal relationship of Omar's immediately following being denied for medical treatment by one of the medical teams you've accused? Could it be possible that this denial comes, in part, from medical professionals fearing getting involved with someone so inclined toward slander and defamation?

Again, check your reading and comprehension skills. I have already covered this.

I'm curious as to why, and perhaps you can answer this... Why would women randomly seek you out to confide their deepest secrets if they'd felt victimized? I mean, I'm struggling to understand how it comes to be that a coordinator who is in no way connected to a medical team becomes the personal confidant of SO MANY slighted or victimized patients. Can you tell me how, was it seven you said?, how did these women come to find you to express this very personal experience of feeling "taken advantage of?"

Some knew me from here, some I had referred to Dr. Illan, some were referred to me by other victims or other people who know me from here and outside of here and know that I am standing up for their rights. By the way, it is now eight. You seem to have a very difficult time understanding my connection with the bariatric community and the fact that I know a lot of people as a result.

and more recently...

Why do these long time users, these "victims" with whom you've gotten so close, have accounts that don't reflect being long term users of this site? Do you know all 7 of these women personally through another forum or another avenue of life?

I didn’t say they were all long time users. I said I have been a member here for years and many people here know me. And shockingly, I also have a life outside of here. This is not the only place where people know me from. Some people have joined because we requested they do so in order to share what has happened to them in the hopes that others do not experience the same thing. Others are long-term members who have created an alternate ID due to such wonderful people as you who like to bully victims.

Now, I am not and will not waste any more of my time answering the same questions over and over again simply because you have poor reading and comprehension skills and apparently suffer from some type of memory loss.

Instead of having Omar feed you information, I again challenge you to see if he has the cajones to man up and speak for himself. I am done with you. I have no time for enablers, and that is what you and the Omar worshippers are. You are all so in love with him, so hypnotized by him, that you continue to defend him knowing he is a criminal, knowing if he enters the US he will be arrested, and knowing he victimizes woman. By your insistence on defending him, you are enabling him to continue to take advantage of his patients.

I’ll be honest, I couldn’t really give two hoots about his sob story about his past. He made his decisions, he needs to take responsibility for them and accept the consequences instead of running to another country like a coward. What I do care about is that in no way, shape or form is it acceptable for any employee of a physician to take advantage of his patients and seek romantic/sexual relationships with them. Whether the patient is supposedly willing or not, it is his responsibility to not allow this to happen. He is unprofessional, unethical and has no morals, none! As I said, he is a pig and he disgusts me. I will defend these women in any way I know how.

Edited by *susan*

@@*susan* I really commend your patience in continuing to answer these questions. Pity the Omar groupies continue to try and deflect attention from the real issue.

Maestrita, you wrote, " I did defend Omar. He's not a saint, but he's not who's been painted here. He's had a hard life, and he's made some bad choices, but he's not a predatory, either. "

So why is it you don't believe the experiences of the three women who posted in this thread? In a thread you started back in January you rightfully asked people to respect your experience of not being informed by your doctor about the complication rate with the band. You were right in that thread to defend your own experience and I applaud you for standing up for your experience. However, in that same line of thought, it is hypocritical of you to now disavow the experiences of these women for whom he is a predator - and for you to say otherwise is just like the people who jumped all over you about being upset about your experience with the band. You can't argue with their experience. Please don't let your survival mechanism get the better of you - you are a teacher and have a history in law enforcement - you are clearly smart and well educated. Something about this has gotten you personally hooked. If you had a great experience with Dr Illam and Omar, the experiences of these women don't diminish you or your great experience. I hope you find some clarity and peace around your friendship with Omar.

People who are considering having surgery with Dr Illam have a right to know his coordinator is a felon. It brings into question the wisdom and clarity of thought he uses to run his practice. For some it may make no difference at all. For me, I would never use a doctor who employes a felon.

People who are considering having surgery with Dr Illam have a right to know his coordinator is a felon. It brings into question the wisdom and clarity of thought he uses to run his practice. For some it may make no difference at all. For me, I would never use a doctor who employes a felon.

Bingo! Medical Ethics does not just apply to the doctor, it applies to the entire staff. The doctor is merely responsible in the end. I think it is clear that the doctor is aware of this behavior and he's doing nothing about it. You can like him as a surgeon, heck, you can credit him for your own hard work in losing weight. It does not make it right to allow this to continue when you ladies have the power to do something about it. Put the screws to Illan to fix this problem! Be the solution, not the problem.

I would hope ALL these women file formal ethics charges for these behaviors. If not, you are only helping him to continue the behavior. So far the women I have seen that are telling their stories are taking partial responsibility for their own actions in these incidents. Being a responsible adult means fixing our past errors, not pretending like it didn't happen.

Let's see what Illan is *really* all about. Prove to us that he actually cares about patients. Do something or acknowledge you don't care what your doc is made up of.

As for you, Maestrita- Put up or finally shut up and go away. If you can defend your own claims, by all means! Do so! Susan answered your questions, now pay up hunny. It's your turn. If you do not we can know you are totally unable to do so. And btw, Latin Lover is NOT NOT NOT a racial slur. I work with a ton of Latino men. I swear to God, the next 10 guys I see I am flat out going to ask them, is "Latin Lover" a racial slur or a compliment? We will let THEM decide.

BTW, what are you? I am about ready to come up with a racial slur for you but I don't know what you are. White? Mexican? Italian? Or just overall gang groupie with benefits?

I still do not know what anyone sees in Omar. First we have his silly name, then we have his photo. I swear, he had to use drugs or something to seduce these woman. Seriously, eww. A vulnerable patient chasing, convicted felon, (apparently) still wanted in the US, an illegal alien, and proud founder of a Latino gang. Good grief. What a disgusting POS. Not only did the taxpayers have to pay his undeserved education (and likely food/medical as well) but we had to pay for his crimes and prison time. What a treat for the US.

Bleh.

Let's DO something about this. We can talk about it for another month and that will do nothing. Let's DO something about it.

If you look up his convictions, the only conviction he has is that he is an illegal that was trying to stay with his family in the US. He was convicted of felony charges for being an illegal in 2006/2007. He served his time and has been in Mexico ever since. Everyone on this board should judge him based on that. There is nothing more to these accusations.

The "groupies", "current women of the month", "passioned patients", "fanclub" should be done with this thread. Everything they say is being discounted, bashed and bullied by people that are incapable of seeking the actual truth and believing no name supposed women that very easily and recently created profiles just to stir the pot for this website's profit.

If you look up his convictions, the only conviction he has is that he is an illegal that was trying to stay with his family in the US. He was convicted of felony charges for being an illegal in 2006/2007. He served his time and has been in Mexico ever since. Everyone on this board should judge him based on that. There is nothing more to these accusations. The "groupies", "current women of the month", "passioned patients", "fanclub" should be done with this thread. Everything they say is being discounted, bashed and bullied by people that are incapable of seeking the actual truth and believing no name supposed women that very easily and recently created profiles just to stir the pot for this website's profit.

Speaking of recently created profiles, hello pot, meet kettle!

If you look up his convictions, the only conviction he has is that he is an illegal that was trying to stay with his family in the US. He was convicted of felony charges for being an illegal in 2006/2007. He served his time and has been in Mexico ever since. Everyone on this board should judge him based on that. There is nothing more to these accusations. The "groupies", "current women of the month", "passioned patients", "fanclub" should be done with this thread. Everything they say is being discounted, bashed and bullied by people that are incapable of seeking the actual truth and believing no name supposed women that very easily and recently created profiles just to stir the pot for this website's profit.

You are missing the point. Three women have given testimonials to their experience. You can not argue that their experience is not their experience... The people who had excellent experiences are free to make their testimonials as well. That is what is true for them.

To say people who are pointing this out are "incapable of seeking the actual truth..." is disingenuous. It's actual the other way around. I can allow that 100s of people have had great - life changing experiences with Dr Illam and Omar. And can also allow that at least three women have had bad experiences. Life and people are messy. It can be both good and bad at the same time. Confusing? Yes. And it's reality.

I am sorry to hear that Omar has a record for wanting to be with his family. The US has a mess on its hands with immigration with no easy solutions. I know and love many people in the US without papers. Unfortunately, that still makes him a felon and still raises red flags that a surgeon - especially a skilled surgeon - would have a felon on staff. Again, if others have no problem with it - then by all means go to Dr Illam. However, this info needs to be out there so people can make a choice.

Edited by shellief

And btw, Latin Lover is NOT NOT NOT a racial slur. I work with a ton of Latino men. I swear to God, the next 10 guys I see I am flat out going to ask them, is "Latin Lover" a racial slur or a compliment? We will let THEM decide.

Unfortunately every stereotype be it perceived as positive or negative will not be offensive to everyone that does not change the nature.

http://brown-face.com