Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is a new one for me..

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted. I'm doing great at just about 9 months out and about 93 lbs lost. I'm going through some serious personal crap right now, divorce, etc and in the past I always turned to food. I don't think I've ever lost my apatite in my life. But for the last few weeks I just do not want to eat, to the point of feeling hungry... I never actually feel hungry anymore so this is a foreign feeling for me now. I literally have to force myself to eat. I have absolutely no idea how to manage this. I just don't want food of any kind. I have been losing at a rate of 2-4 lbs a month for the last 2-3months but I've lost about 8 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I havent seen loss like that since the first 5 months out but I'm afraid

when my apatite returns I'll gain it back. I feel so trapped in this backwards food cycle, uncharted territory for me. Has this happened to any of you, and how did you deal with it? Thanks

I haven't lost the feeling of being hungry and am 2 weeks out. What i do notice however is that if I get hungry then I tend to eat to fast and overeat.

I would recommend you try to eat every 2-3 hours and just make it small. I know you don't want to but you have to consider your health first. The rest will work itself out. You may just want to sip on Protein shakes on and off too.

Good luck. I am sorry that you are undergoing this. I hope you come out on the other side an even better and stronger you. And I know you will!

Sorry to hear about the personal stuff going on. Never easy to deal with.

That aside..I think the lack of appetite may be partially expected at this point in recovery. I say this because I also have hit this same thing...without all the stress that your dealing with. I saw my bariatric dr and RD and they both said that it was normal at the 8-10 month post op stage. They said that tastes have changed dramatically and things are beginning to go back to normal at that point. So it's just your bodies way of balancing out.

I've had zero appetite for weeks now. It's been a challenge for sure. I went back to 2 shakes for Snacks and 3 small actual food chewing meals. My program wants us eating only 3 meals...any needed Snacks need to be liquid...so I stick to that. But... My meals now are small for sure...maybe 4 ounces at the most. Greek yogurt with Protein low cal low carb granola mixed in for Breakfast....lunch maybe a few ounces of chicken breast with a few small pieces of fruit for lunch, dinner I'm not hungry at all...so then I usually will have some nuts with cheese. Or half an avocado with some Protein.

Hope some of this helps.

I can only offer this perspective: It's pretty standard for women going through "a bad divorce" (however you define that) to lose weight.

Divorce is the second most stressful experience most people go through in life.

In fact, you should google: divorce diet.

It happens to many people. It happened to me in my 30s.

But you're right to be concerned. Divorce is usually followed by a lot of other high-stress events, e.g., moving to a new house, maybe changing jobs, maybe even moving to another city, starting a new relationship, financial stresses.

In your shoes right now, I would SO be in therapy!

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Sorry to hear about the personal stuff going on. Never easy to deal with.

That aside..I think the lack of appetite may be partially expected at this point in recovery. I say this because I also have hit this same thing...without all the stress that your dealing with. I saw my bariatric dr and RD and they both said that it was normal at the 8-10 month post op stage. They said that tastes have changed dramatically and things are beginning to go back to normal at that point. So it's just your bodies way of balancing out.

I've had zero appetite for weeks now. It's been a challenge for sure. I went back to 2 shakes for Snacks and 3 small actual food chewing meals. My program wants us eating only 3 meals...any needed Snacks need to be liquid...so I stick to that. But... My meals now are small for sure...maybe 4 ounces at the most. Greek yogurt with Protein low cal low carb granola mixed in for breakfast....lunch maybe a few ounces of chicken breast with a few small pieces of fruit for lunch, dinner I'm not hungry at all...so then I usually will have some nuts with cheese. Or half an avocado with some Protein.< /p>

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks, I don't know if you remember but I lost my insurance a week after surgery so I don't have access to my surgeon. I appreciate the input, it eases my mind to know what I'm going through is a normal part of the process.

I can only offer this perspective: It's pretty standard for women going through "a bad divorce" (however you define that) to lose weight.

Divorce is the second most stressful experience most people go through in life.

In fact, you should google: divorce diet.

It happens to many people. It happened to me in my 30s.

But you're right to be concerned. Divorce is usually followed by a lot of other high-stress events, e.g., moving to a new house, maybe changing jobs, maybe even moving to another city, starting a new relationship, financial stresses.

In your shoes right now, I would SO be in therapy!

Ha! The kids and I are moving from California to Florida BEFORE school starts! No stress here!