Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally in the 200's! I'm halfway there! Pics too :)

What a LONG, strange trip this is that I'm on. I was sleeved on 11/27/12 at 418 pounds. I am now at 298. That's 120 pounds down & about 120 more to go. Being under 300 pounds is monumental for me, though. I honestly wasn't sure that it was ever going to happen.

I am obviously not one of those uber success stories that took off all their weight in one year & I am learning to be okay with that,

My experience was that for the for 6 months after my vsg it was like the weight melted off. 100 lbs. in 6 months. I thought that I would be to my goal weight in no time. Then it was like I hit a wall. Now if you look at my other posts you will see that I struggled. Struggled with getting in Protein. Struggled with avoiding carbs. Struggled with exercise. Struggled with what a drastically different lifestyle being sleeved is. I even gained back about 10 pounds. I did not do "everything right".

It took me about a year to really revamp my lifestyle and find out what works for me to lose weight but feel balanced. I have now losing consistently at about 2 lbs a week for the past 12 weeks. It appears that I have found my groove. I have no doubt that I will get to my goal weight. It might not be as quickly as other people have, but I will still get there.

It might be literally 3 years after my surgery before I get to goal, but so what? Even if I was not still losing weight, the weight that I have lost already has changed my life. My health has improved dramatically. I actually went hiking last weekend! I'm going camping in a month. That's something that I've missed doing for years.

Getting sleeved is not a magic bullet. Losing weight is still hard. I still struggle with my self-esteem. I truly miss eating the way I used to, and sometimes I literally feel sad that I can't eat more. I still don't like exercising. I have come to see it as a necessary evil. I might never like exercising, This is just the truth.

I'm getting married at the end of September. After we got engaged in January, I spent months beating myself up that I am still so heavy. I thought if only I had tried harder then I could have been a thin, beautiful bride. That may be true. It may not be. What is true is that I am certainly more ready to walk down an aisle in front of 100 people now than I was at 418 pounds.

I have not given up. I am still moving and look forward to someday posting that I'm at my goal. I hope that this post is helpful to someone. You might be considering surgery. Maybe you're newly sleeved. Maybe you're where I was 6 months ago...gained back 10 lbs & not moving. You can do it! I can do it! Just don't give up.

Here are a couple before & after shots at this stage.

post-168230-0-03451100-1405006055_thumb.jpg post-168230-0-92465400-1405006071_thumb.jpg post-168230-0-57950500-1405005917_thumb.jpg post-168230-0-46388800-1405005929_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! That is amazing. I'm so glad you shared this- especially about not doing everything perfect, and then doing the work to turn it around. For me, it's scary to go into this having never been long-term successful and to hear this story where you hit a bump and were able to correct course and then continue is very inspiring.

You will be a beautiful bride! Congratulations and best of luck to you as you keep on going!

You look great! Keep up the good work! You have found your groove. I think alot of people go in thinking it will be an easy journey...boy do I have news for them! lol Congrats on your wedding! You will be a beautiful bride!

Congrats on losing 120lbs! That's a tremendous amount! You've probably saved your own life... AND you look so happy. That's terrific!

It sure isn't easy...thank you for sharing your truth & your struggle. Your post will help others! Great job & you're still kickin' @$$!

Good for you for not giving up! 120 lbs loss is a great success and I know you are going to be even more successful! And congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding!

No matter how "successful" you are at the beginning, this is a life-long commitment. Glad you found your groove! Keep up the fight!

We all have things that we have to work harder on, and for some of us it is weight. It's OK. You sound successful and awesome and thank you for sharing!!!

Awww, congratulations to you getting married first of all. Secondly, bravo on the weight loss so far. Keep up the great work. Woohoo!!!

Congratulations! Your story is very inspiring. I had surgery on June 16th and I've been at a stall for 2 weeks and I'm frustrated. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work. You are going to be a beautiful bride!

Holly

Thanks, ho11ie. :) Stalls are very common. Especially in the beginning. I think almost every person has had a major stall shortly after surgery. In the beginning it's kind of like a roller coaster ride. You drop weight, drop weight, then nothing...even though you're following your plan. Just have faith in the process. Hang in there!

Congratulations! Your story is very inspiring. I had surgery on June 16th and I've been at a stall for 2 weeks and I'm frustrated. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work. You are going to be a beautiful bride!

Holly

I have never been successful long term either & I got very scared when I gained that 10 pounds back. I thought that my surgery had been "wasted". For me getting back on track was more of a change in my thought patterns. When I stopped beating myself up & focused on just being healthier in general the scale started moving again. Just surround yourself with as much support as possible. You'll do great!

Congratulations! That is amazing. I'm so glad you shared this- especially about not doing everything perfect, and then doing the work to turn it around. For me, it's scary to go into this having never been long-term successful and to hear this story where you hit a bump and were able to correct course and then continue is very inspiring.

You will be a beautiful bride! Congratulations and best of luck to you as you keep on going!

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this post so far. It's funny, I noticed that a few people mentioned that I look so happy now. I looked at my pics & I DO look happier now! I am happier. It's nice to be able to do things that I couldn't do before. Like fit in a booth at a restaurant, or hike with my fiancé, or play in the pool with my nieces & nephew without being exhausted. So, yes, I'm happier & much healthier. I can't wait to see how much more I can do the smaller I get. :D

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this post so far. It's funny, I noticed that a few people mentioned that I look so happy now. I looked at my pics & I DO look happier now! I am happier. It's nice to be able to do things that I couldn't do before. Like fit in a booth at a restaurant, or hike with my fiancé, or play in the pool with my nieces & nephew without being exhausted. So, yes, I'm happier & much healthier. I can't wait to see how much more I can do the smaller I get. :D

Hi Deedee, I have about 150 pounds to lose and my surgery is Monday, I am scared nervous excited and happy all at the same time. I have lots of support from phone tele support groups to support groups led by my surgeons office. I have a friend who lives close by who is one month out, I have another friend who is scheduled for surgery two weeks after me. The process is exhausting and exciting at the same time. I think the most encouraging thing My dr has said is that I will be someone's inspiration a year from now, how awesome is that? And that's what you are. thank you for sharing your journey! No ones struggle is without bumps in the road but it's awesome, it's courageous and it's inspiring. I have been perusing the forums all evening, and your story touches me deeply. We are all proud of you. You can do the rest of the journey. Thanks for your honesty and your trust that you have in us as well. we can so this!!!!

Edited by kathysleeve