Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is amazing what just 30lbs can do...

So from the beginning of this path towards and following VSG, one of things on my list that made me make the decision to invest in WLS was when I travelled by air that the meal tray no longer lay flat because my belly would get in the way. Travel is a big part of my job, so this was a constant embarassment for me. There is nothing more embarassing than a flight attendant handing you a meal to a tray that won't lay flat, and at first they just think it isn't fully deployed, then they realize oh no, the tray is stuck on her and the look on their face changes. Total humiliation, right? Not to mention always having to ask for an extension for the seat belt, but at least the flight attendants don't seem phased by that request.

Well I am happy to share that today I flew for the first time since my surgery (it was exactly four weeks since surgery and 5 weeks since pre-op diet start - I have lost 31lbs since June 1st) when I boarded that flight I dread two things, fastening the seat belt and using the meal tray;

NSV #1 - the seat belt fastened without an extension! it was tight but I was able to fasten it!

NSV #2 - the below attached picture is a shot of the fulley deployed meal tray and my belly - it is a little blurry but the white solid mass is the tray and the black and white flowered area is my t-shirt - there was 2-3 inches between my belly and the tray which lay perfectly flat!!

post-198326-0-13393700-1404961482_thumb.jpg

You know I have been saying that this first month and 30 lbs was just a drop in the bucket, that I would not start to see benefits for another 30-40 lbs( I have 145 lbs excess weight) - but I was wrong - even 30lbs makes a difference!

Fantastic! I love to hear everyone's success. I may be closer to my "goal" but my struggles with 60 lbs have been as consuming and I love to hear the success of those ahead of me. I can't wait to cross my leg over my knee and not have it flip off and slam into the person in front of me on a plane!

Oh wow! So cool! I can imagine how that felt.

I don't travel much, mostly because I'm afraid of flying. But recently I flew to Savannah with my husband and for the first time I realized how much weight I've gained and fastening the seatbelt was a bit difficult.. Awkward ....

Anyway, wishing you Continued success.

There are many of the NSV (non scale victory) that make all the hard work worth it! It's an awesome feeling! Sometimes I just do a little jig for the sake of being happy!

Congratulations! 30 lbs is a huge difference! I lost 38 lbs so far and today at a doctor appt the nurse put the regular size blood pressure cuff on me! First time in probably 3 years I didn't need the big one! Also, we think 30 lbs doesn't sound like much compared to what we need to lose but then I pick up my toddler who weighs about 30lbs and it's really amazing to feel how much extra burden we had been carrying around all day, every day. Great job!

Snoho,

Oh, the things we take for granted over the years. Congrats on that milestone; I'm sure it not only feels great to have more room on the plane, but also to know you are trending downward and it will only get better from here. Once upon a time, I was able to lay across two airplane seats that were relatively empty and use it as a bed fairly comfortably. I remember also being able to bring my knee up to my chest when I was sitting....no longer. I'm either hunched forward or leaned back because of my upper stomach. I look forward to getting those small blessings back.

I can so relate to your story! I've lost 29 lbs and just flew this weekend. Where before I could barely fasten the belt and only by pulling very hard, this time it fastened easily! And even better I felt I wasn't impinging on the person next to me like I did before. It's so very embarrassing not to 'fit' between the arm rests, so your thighs touch the next person's. I've even paid for upgrades to have bigger seats to avoid that. If you think the tray is hard to flatten in coach, try the ones in biz class that go across your lap at the height of the armrests. Yikes!!

Congrats!

Congrats! I really know what you mean! I had to fly for work a couple of weeks ago, and I totally LOVED the experience because I felt so normal! I'm down 140 pounds at 18 months out, I had plenty of room to spare with the seat belt, the tray, and the seat - on Spirit, no less! I just couldn't get over it, both there and back. Flying as an obese person is such a difficult experience, from everything from having to take your shoes off through security, to boarding down that narrow aisle, to the tight seats, seat belt, tray, and managing your possessions. Being thin takes all that worry and fear off the table, and allows us to enjoy things in a way we never could. Congrats on your success, and you are going to love the next 30 pounds, too!

Awsome and Congrats and I can totally relate. I work for an airline and fly for pleasure frequently and the last 2 years I was unable to tie my seatbelt and was too ashamed to ask for an extension (stupid me) and I flew for the first time after surgery 2 weeks ago (6 weeks post WLS) and I was able to actually tighten my seat belt AND I had 5 inches left over. I had lost about 30 lbs too and was ELATED! :) Thanks for sharing, good luck!

@SnohoGal98296 I have felt the same SURGE of relief when my seatbelt buckled...I'm boarding a flight tomorrow and feeling nervous...but I haven't flown in 4 months and I've lost over 40 lbs since then! It's weird how different airlines have different size belts...

These are the things that only we (journey goers) can understand. I am so happy for you.

Yes definitely - thanks everyone for your replies!

It is funny how different airlines, different seats even, have different lengths - I work in the Commercial Aircraft Interiors industry and know that all seats start equally - but dependant upon the seat and the individual LOPA (Layout of Passenger Arrangement) for each aircraft the seat belts can vary. For instance, at my heaviest on a Japanese Airline on a 787 my seat belt fastened, but on an US Major Airline on a 777 it didn't. The bitter fat person in my head (the one who keeps screaming Why aren't you eating more of that? It is delicious! Eat More!) thinks is just might be a conspiracy... :-DDDD

Man I hate that voice! I hear it too sometimes. Not as much as I used to but it's still there every now and then.

that's awesome! Congratulations!