Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I take with me to Mexico?

Hi! So I have scheduled my sleeve surgery for October 2014 at the OCC with Dr. Ortiz! I'm excited and really nervous! I want to make sure I come prepared.. So, what did you bring with you to Mexico? Anything you wish you'd taken? Anything not to take (I tend to be an over-packer)?

I just returned from surgery in Mexico and am 8 days out. I took books and puzzle books and found I read and did puzzles. You may want a heating pad to help with the gas pains and I found I wore a dress on the way home , you don't want anything tights

Hey, there's a pretty good thread here on the forums (I hope this works)

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/181994-the-official-what-you-will-need-for-your-gastric-sleeve-surgery-thread/

I had my surgery one week ago today at OCC, they will take very good care of you. I took my tablet and my e-reader, and did not use either while i was there, with the exception of on the flights.

You definitely don't want anything tight around your belly, i found out the hard way (no dress with me) that all of my incisions are where my waistband rubs, even on the loose fitting clothes.

Yeah I agree with the waisband thing....i took loose pants to wear on my way back and had to roll them...stayed a day at the hotel and was dying in my normal pajamas so slept without pants :/

i found that i really didn't need the gas x strips because i was walking around a lot and was fine

maybe take extra clothes if you decide to stay longer....the check out the link the person posted above...i took most of things...and i wish i had taken a dress to wear on my way back...and my pillow! lol thats it

I would definitely encourage a tablet or smartphone with Netflix. I am a reader and thought I would read on my Kindle app. I could not focus well or stay awake well enough to read, but Netflix was awesome to have. I also downloaded google translate to my phone so I could communicate better with the nurses. You will need a loose fitting dress or something for the trip home. I brought gauze and dressing stuff for my own wound care. The hospital sent me with some, but I am pretty picky about it all and wanted my own once I was back in the hotel. I had a different doctor, so not sure how they do things. I would certainly take a longer charging cord for any electronics if you have one you could take. Also, you will need some small bills to tip your drivers and hotel staff who assist you. Pack light, and possibly in a bag with rollers so you don't have to lift it. Oh, and chapstick or some sort of lip balm. Besides all this, you should really only need some basic toiletries. Nobody is dressing up or wearing makeup while there. I certainly wasn't messing with any of it.

Thanks so much everyone! VERY helpful :)

I didn't take much. I bought a nice flowy dress to wear, socks for the hospital, your personal reading stuff. I packed light - carry on. Was worth it.

Don't forget your chopstick and lotion

I totally agree with the Crystal Light. You have to sip on Water all of the time and it is nice to have some flavor. Also, packing very light is a must. I packed one bag that fit under the seat in the plane and I was so glad that I did. I wouldn't have been very comfortable putting something in the overhead bins. Plus, you have a 10 pound limit for lifting after the surgery. I do also recommend the Unjury chicken Protein Powder in the single serving packs. It tastes much better than the chicken broth in Mexico and it is nice to taste something savory.

I am 5 days post op from TJ! I recommend compression socks for flight there and home!

My 2nd tip is to walk & walk a lot! Even once you go back to your hotel. Gas is painful and I am SO glad I walked a lot. I didn't have any pain!

I have an August 26th surgery - should I be concerned about Protein intake on a 5 hour plane flight to San Diego for Tijuana on the Clear liquids and on the way home post op?

I have an August 26th surgery - should I be concerned about Protein intake on a 5 hour plane flight to San Diego for Tijuana on the Clear Liquids and on the way home post op?

No. I wouldn't worry. Drink lots of Water and make sure you are doing everything up to that point. My surgeon had me on clear liquids only for three days prior to surgery.