Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiences with Phentermine?

I could easily lose weight on phentrimine but I did or like the way the pill made me feel. I could never take it long. And as soon as I was off the pill the weight came back immediately.

I was prescribed Phentermine for weight loss... it changed my life forever. Unknown to me or my doctor, I had a congenital arrhythmia that didn't surface until I took the Phentermine. Now even the smallest amount of caffeine will trigger a bad episode and I have to take an anti-arrhythmic drug. Thankfully, it is under control, but only if I take my medication. When I was prescribed Phentermine I lived outside of the US, so the regulation on it wasn't strict and my heart was not monitored (as they do in the US)... so I was on Phentermine for about 4 months. It was too long... sure I lost about 60 lbs on it, but as SOON as you stop it (which you will have to eventually) the weight comes back. After being on it for so long I couldn't have a conversation with anyone because my brain was moving too fast for my words to keep up... it has the same effect on your body and mind as speed. NOT WORTH IT.

I'm astonished doctors are still prescribing phentermine.

Those of you who are younger may not know about the class action and mass tort litigation in the US on behalf of thousands of people who were harmed (and heirs of those who died) on the fen/phen combination.

The real danger is not regaining weight from phentermine -- it's suffering cardiovascular, cardiac and stroke damage as a result of it.

When I hear about "physician-managed weight loss programs," I LOL! Drug pushers is what they are.

I used it as a part of the "phen-fen" craze back in the mid-90s. I was trying to get my weight down to have a healthier pregnancy. I lost about 30 lbs in 5 months. The other Phen was pulled by the FDA - Fenfluromine. I tried the phentermine again (via mail order - probably a mistake) and I'm pretty sure the pills were phony because I had no success. I gained back the weight the first time with pregnancy.

Same here. Used the phen-Finn combo and Los from 214 to 119 in a year. Stopped When it was pulled off the market. Gained all of it back.

I took phentermine at two different points in my life and both times were a fail. I noticed that I had a slight bit more energy, but that was it. Both times the doctors told me that I just needed to give it more time. I gave it 6 months the last time and had nothing happen. The dr didn't have any idea of what to tell me and why I wasn't reacting to it and took me off of it.

Edited by Deidre82

I'm taking phentermine now for weight loss. I've only been taking it for about 4 days now, it does make you speed around like crazy, your heart races, it's hard to sleep at night, but it does curve your appetite a bit. I had to get a stress test before getting a prescription because it does raise your blood pressure. I'm only taking them to move forward on my GBP journey. But Be warned they are for SHORT TERM ONLY! My doctor says 2-3 Months the most. I'll update the results after. Good luck!

As a person who takes adderall readily, I only used half a dosage of a phentermine for a few days and absolutely hated it! (Didn't combine adderall and phentermine)

I felt anxiety/panic, racing heart, and yes my hunger was blocked but it was uncomfortable and returned with a vengeance!

Hello group, this is Dr. Kevin Huffman. I'm board certified in obesity medicine and have worked with bariatric surgical patients for nearly 25 years now. I thought I'd give you my insight into the use of anorectic medications such as phentermine, Tenuate, Bontril, Qysmia among others.

I'm a firm believer in using all available tools to combat this chronic disease. Of course I'm a big fan of bariatric surgery and believe it the most effective tool we currently have in treating those with BMI of 35 and above (maybe even 30 and above when associated with co morbid diseases such as diabetes), but bariatric surgery isn't a cure, its just a very effective tool that when used with alteration in macro and micro nutrients, increase physical activity, behavior modification and even medications in some cases it can help you and your physician manage your disease for life.

When I first joined the ASMBS 15 years ago, I took a lot of heat for suggesting that anorectic medications had a role in postoperative bariatric surgical care, but as time has passed many of my bariatric surgeons acknowledge that anorectic medications may in fact play a limited role in some postoperative patient care plans.

We know that postoperatively those undergoing gastric sleeve and gastric bypass show reduced levels of ghrelin, a hormone that stimulates appetite. We suspect that is in part why our postoperative patients sense less hunger after surgery. However at about 18-24 months postoperatively many patients complain that their hunger levels return to preoperative levels. This may be a function of 1) a return to hunger stimulating foods e.g. carbs, 2) return to old habits or 3) maybe a compensatory mechanism in the GI tract ramping up ghrelin products. In any case getting patients back into high Protein diets with adequate hydration and exercise along with the most important tool SUPPORT GROUP, may be all that is necessary to help reduce hunger, however in some limited cases I have found anoretic medications in low dosages for limited period of time can be an effective tool to getting 'BACK ON TRACK'

Hope this helps some of you and if my comments can be of use, please let me know I'll jump in from time to time to give you my perspective.

Thank you

Dr. Kevin Huffman

Dr. Huffman,

If you would share any study findings about the efficacy of phentermine for WLS patients used in the ways you describe above, rather than vague anecdotal testimonies about its efficacy for some of your patients, I'd welcome the chance to read those studies.

Otherwise, I'll trust my own personal anecdotal experience with phentermine and the anecdotal testimony of literally every other person I've ever known (dozens of friends and relatives).who was prescribed phentermine by physician-managed weight loss programs.

In my experience, phentermine is just another FDA-authorized version of Meth Lite.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Personally I find that I regain weight after stopping weight loss drugs (tried redux, alli, and phentermine in the past). I did take phentermine prior to my surgery though. I only did so because it was offered to me by my PCP and it was before WLS. I wouldn't have taken it if I wasn't going to have the surgery though.

--Tina. :-)

I took it and yes you do loose weight. no hunger no food loose weight. Simple, stop taking it hunger back weight back. Don't recommend

I have taken pent ermine off and on for over 10 years, the last time being 3 months ago, after my band was un-filled and I literally could only fit into a few of my clothes after gaining 25-30 pounds. I was just revised from the band to the sleeve and 12 days post op, I feel wonderful. No hunger and none of the dangerous side effects of phentermine

I've been taking phentermine for the past 45 days, prescribed by my PCP to help "get the ball rolling". I fully understand it is a very temporary aid. I am very pleased that it has enabled me to control my appetite enough that I can make better choices and limit my portions so that I have lost almost 20 lbs. I had tried numerous times before to lose on my own and had been completely unsuccessful in losing even a couple of pounds. I've been also tracking every bite on MyFitnessPal.

Fortunately I have had no bad side effects at all other than Constipation. No heart racing, no anxiety or any of that. I just eat less. And I think it has also speeds up my metabolism. The few days I was unable to take it (due to constipation that needed to MOVE), I gained weight back while eating the same amount of calories.

So, I am very grateful for this little bit of help. It has helped me lose enough already that I no longer have severe pain in my knees and back daily. I certainly wouldn't want to take it longer than 3 months though, so I am anxious to have my surgery and be able to lose the rest of my weight.

ready2B:

I'm glad to hear that medication helped you on your road to the ultimate solutions to your health issue; bariatric surgery. I've been working with bariatric surgical patients for 25 years. I don't think there is another physician in the world that has done more to spread the world of bariatric surgery than I, but I'm not someone that believes that obesity is 'cured' by bariatric surgery. This health issue is just much too complicated than that. So I advocate nutrition, behavior, exercise, support, medications and surgery. I'm not promoting 'speed' what I do suggest to those who have an open mind is that you consider medications in limited situations for limited periods of time and to keep your ears and mind open as the medical community continues to develop safer and more effective medical therapies. Just as bariatric surgery has gone from 4-5 hour open gastric bypass to single port incisions and endoscopic procedures to gastric pacing, gastric space occupying devices, and some day deep brain stimulation, medications will and are evolving. I'm certain that in time we'll have personalized weight management medications that hone in on a patient's unique needs, but until then I still recommend that those who are struggling post operatively speak to their bariatric surgeon, bariatric physician or primary care physician and don't give up. Get back into support and exercise (the two most important things you can do), make sure your adjustable band is optimally filled, ask your bariatric surgeon if you qualify for a revisional surgery and if a short course of medications can help you get 'back on track' then consider a low dose, short course of a medication FDA approved for weight management.

Dr. Kevin Huffman

I took Phentermine and absolutely loved it the first time around. I was rarely hungry and when I did eat I would feel full with less than my normal portions. I lost about 20 pounds in the first month and about 5 more total. I stopped taking it because I got pregnant :) and honestly it was quite expensive ($100 month). The second time around my results were minimal and I did gain the weight back but I won't necessarily blame it all on Phentermine. No matter what diet or weight loss medication I've ever tried, I've always felt so ravenous the moment I stopped and would eat everything in sight. My experience with the drug was a little weirder than those I've read here though. Not only did it make my mouth extremely dry but it caused me to grind my teeth uncontrollably...very annoying. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.