Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi again,

I have researched about 3 gastric balloons, and will post the info I have gathered so far. I would love to hear from anyone that has had a gastric balloon placed. These are not a long term tool, but seem to me to be a possible great kick start into more weight loss along with diet and exercise. Do you know of other doctors placing gastric balloons? Do you have more info on gastric balloons? Please share your information here on this forum.

Here's info on the Obalon.

About a week ago Primetime did a show on the Obalon, which is not marketed yet in the USA. The show had two Americans take the trip to Mexico to see Dr. Ariel Ortiz to have the Obalon placed. The Obalon is a 'pill' you swallow while supervised, which has a thin cord attached. After swallowing, it is inflated with a gas and becomes a balloon in your stomach that makes you feel full and satiated. The gas makes it float to the top of your stomach. The feeling of feeling full (satiated) helps the patient know to stop eating. Up to two more balloons can be added. This is a short term procedure and the balloon is eventually deflated and removed through your mouth in an outpatient procedure. Dr Ortiz charges $4,000 for the balloon, which in my opinion, seems high, when other doctors are charging slightly more for a complex surgery like the sleeve. Do you

Pros:

Non surgical

Outpatient procedure: in and out

Cost? Are there other docs charging less?

No long term change of stomach

Safety

Cons:

Only performed outside USA now

Short term

Non-permanent device

Cost. For now, only price quote I found, is from one doc

Possible negative factors or complications:

Obstruction if balloon deflates?

Nausea

Vomiting

Just a guess, but I think it's really costly because it's so new. Once it's approved and a lot more doctors start using it, the competition will bring the price down.

Just a guess, but I think it's really costly because it's so new. Once it's approved and a lot more doctors start using it, the competition will bring the price down.

i agree with you, beaglelover, i hope so.

My question would be once you've lost the weight and the balloon(s) are removed, is there anything that would prevent you from regaining the lost weight back? That would personally be my biggest fear...which is what got me in my situation in the first place.

If you are a person who has the discipline to keep the weight off once it's lost, then this truly sounds like a great solution!!

there is an episode of Fat Doctor that shows a balloon being placed. they are not FDA approved in the US that I know of, but seem like an option in other countries.

youtube has all the past seasons of Fat Doctor on there, the entire episodes. A great show from the UK. actually, i think there are 2 episodes with balloons. One of them is "Andy" i think. just search through them!

Here are a few things about the Obalon.

www.obalon.com

Be sure to watch the vid that is the 2nd pic on entry page. it is kinda funny, great. PUSH BACK! Lots of info here too.

Link to Nightline Program about it, shown in USA recently;

Here's their website, a great place to explore the whole idea of obalon in general, and gastric balloons in general

there is an episode of Fat Doctor that shows a balloon being placed. they are not FDA approved in the US that I know of, but seem like an option in other countries.

youtube has all the past seasons of Fat Doctor on there, the entire episodes. A great show from the UK. actually, i think there are 2 episodes with balloons. One of them is "Andy" i think. just search through them!

THANKS mi75 for the tip, i will go look it up. No, they are not approved by the fda yet. I hear in 2015, possibly. But there always is the possibility of going abroad, for me. I will go look up Fat Doctor.

Edited by utahgirll

My question would be once you've lost the weight and the balloon(s) are removed, is there anything that would prevent you from regaining the lost weight back? That would personally be my biggest fear...which is what got me in my situation in the first place.

If you are a person who has the discipline to keep the weight off once it's lost, then this truly sounds like a great solution!!

BryBro, your own change of diet and habits whilst losing the weight and getting to be able to get into the habit of feeling when you are full, would probably be what would help you from regaining back. Once the balloon is gone, I am not sure how it would feel... hoping someone who has experienced this can answer this for us. For me, this type of idea is the kick start I think I could need to get me going on changes in my life. I have a lot of weight to lose, and I hope to not have to resort to surgery. I am exploring other 'kick start' ideas so as NOT to have a permanent surgical change made to my stomach. I thought perhaps trying this, then perhaps the Endobarrier after this. Although, I have read After the balloon comes out, you can have it put in again.

GASTRIC BALLOON: ReShape Duo

Clinical Trials and Report done by: Dr. Jaime Ponce, Hamilton Medical Center, Dalton, GA

Here's an article I just found about the Reshape Duo, and the FDA trials done here in the USA to test the Balloon. As we know, the balloon is not yet available in the states, but has been used in other countries for years, with success. In this course of trials there was apparently a 28.5% reduction in excess weight (ex: if I needed to lose 100 lbs, rounding up to 30%, I would have lost 30 lbs from that 100 excess, leaving me 70 lbs left to lose). There was of course a control group and the balloon group. The Duo Balloon is an interesting balloon; it is in 2 parts, to prevent one balloon from going down the intestines if it should happen to collapse. Balloons are filled with a blue liquid so patient can see in their urine, if one of the balloons does collapse and then can go in and have it removed through the mouth. Placement and removal is done through the mouth, and it is kept there for 6 months. Some patients reported nausea and discomfort the first week/s after placement, which went away; some patients' discomfort did not go away, so they had the balloon removed: most kept them in. Some did get gastric abrasions or ulcers from the balloon rubbing against the stomach, that were treated. Please read the article for all the details.

http://consumer.healthday.com/vitamins-and-nutrition-information-27/obesity-health-news-505/balloons-in-the-stomach-may-spur-weight-loss-693511.html?related=true&utm_expid=38353063-2.r5ETjFV6SrG5_xobVbsyDw.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fplus.url.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dz%26n%3D1417042866979%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fow.ly%252FDZp9U%26usg%3DCu_VkUY4VjGyUGuEkRbxHMmV8aU.

Edited by utahgirll

I'm from the UK and had a gastric ballon prior to having VSG done. I originally went for the ballon as it seemed a less drastic, non invasive option and I was hoping that the change in eating habits would kick start everything enough to allow the weight lost to stay off.

It's fairly hideous for the first couple of weeks, throwing up is pretty much a constant and as whatever you've eaten or drunk must sit on top of the balloon initially, it had a certain projectile element too it (sorry if a little graphic).

I lost 3 stone in 6 months, and probably could have lost more. The problem is I didnt alter my eating habits enough to maintain the weight lose and had regained the lost weight in about 5 months.

If you have the willpower required to say no to the wrong foods/quantities - the very fact that you are considering this would suggest not - then it works to lose weight, the issue is as ever, keeping it off.

As an aside my surgeon, who did both procedures, mentioned that my stomach was very large and attributed is to stretching because of the balloon.

Hello, this is a common procedure in Brazil, with great results, we already did almost 1000 patients!

Around 20% off on average of weight loss.

Best regards,

Sergio Barrichello MD,
São Paulo , Brazil

Fanpage
www.facebook.com/drsergiobarrichello

Instagram : @balao_gastrico