Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

First i will mention I have been looking and considering WLS for quite some years. I had decided to go with a sleeve, and was looking at Mexican surgeons, and got hit by a wave of err, caution, would be the word for it. i decided I would investigate a lot of other options first. So for the last few weeks, nigh a month, I have been reading lots of articles about what is available in the non surgical world for weight loss. I mentioned wishing for a forum here in bariatric pal that would help me find others that are looking into this too, and voila, Alex heard my request and here it is.

I hope others that are considering this would chime in, and especially those that have had experience with these methods and procedures, would let us know how it going for you. I will post articles i have been reading and hope you will do the same. I am very interested in doctors that are doing these various methods, both here and abroad (as many of these methods are not yet done in the USA yet, or are having trials). Please share here the doctors you are aware of and the experience you are having with any of these methods.

The method I seem to be most interested in is the ENDOBARRIER. This is a clear flexible tube of plastic, open at both ends, that is attached at the top of intestines and travels down into the intestines, and allows food to move through it, but not be absorbed in the top of the intestine until the food exits the plastic tube. This has been ok'ed in Europe, Australia and is being used there now. It is on medical trials in the US, and actually is now accepting people interested in trials. BTW, I have NOTHING to do with marketing this, the trials or anything to do with any of these methods, I am just researching and looking for ideas. Here are some articles on this. Tests have been held on 3, 6 and 12 months use of this device. Implantation is on outpatient basis and removal is about 30 minutes. For more info, have a look at the articles.

http://www.bariatricnews.net/?q=device/11193/endobarrier-gastrointestinal-liner

22%20Endobarrier.jpg

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245022.php (article about second re-implantation for more wt loss)

http://www.allprivatehealth.com/procedure/weight-loss/endoluminal-sleeve/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/weight/endobarrier.html

OK, its late and i am falling asleep. More later!

triss

Edited by utahgirll

VALEN TX developed in Carpenteria, CA

This is another product which sounds very similar to the Endobarrier brand. I wanted to post this "like with like" hence I am posting this as a 'reply' to keep it with Endobarrier, as it sounds so similar, but is a different product. This is an abstract on a 12 month study trial.

http://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archive/one-year-human-experience-with-a-novel-endoluminal-endoscopic-gastric-bypass-sleeve-for-morbid-obesity/

Just google endobarrier trials locations usa. They are in many cities.

Sadly, trials have been stopped due to incidence of liver infections. Please see link. This was my favorite non surgical option. Sigh.

http://www.gidynamics.com/media-press-release.php?id=148