Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So July 1st was my 1 yr Bandiversary. I wanted to post that day but I didn't hit my 1yr goal and was beating myself up which was completely silly. So I stopped to take the time to reflect how much has changed in this last year. When I spoke to my surgeon pre-op I told him exercise was not an option because my body was so beaten and worn down from all my diseases and meds and chemo shots. Now I run a 5K 6 days a week and completed my first official 5K in June. This brings tears to my eyes because before I got sick I was a gym rat and how I missed it but still can't believe I am a runner a real runner!

I has spent the last 6 yrs sick and fighting for life and when I decided to get the band originally my family freaked and said it was to dangerous. So I stopped the process then and wasted another year before I told my family something had to change. I wanted to live life and be a great mother and wife. I did not want to just exist and be a burden on them anymore. They were hesitant and still worried but supported me. There are truly not even words to explain what the band has given back to me.

Everything has been at a very slow pace but in a year as far as health I am off the chemo I was on for lupus and have only had a few small flares. I haven't had to be hospitalized at all since my band. I am only on one med now for lupus which is prednisone my best friend/worst enemy. I was able to cut out so many meds which is freaking awesome. My thyroid is also responding to my weight loss and I just was able to decrease my synthroid for the second time. My weight loss has been slow but I also have Addison's disease so I have to take prednisone 3 times a day forever probably. So I need to often remind myself that I am still on a pretty high dose of steroids everyday and I'm still losing weight/inches. I have still had some flares and have had to double and triple my steroids which stops my loss each time and causes a small gain. I have to wean off very slow so it takes weeks to get back to where I can lose again. I still managed to lose over 60 lbs in this year and 4 clothing sizes from 20W to 12!!

I look like me again and feel like a real person. Last year at this time I was driving my kids to do 5K's now I am the only one getting out to run and have beat both of their best times!! My kids have their mom back and couldn't be happier we are so close. We are all together everyday enjoying life. I am a wife again I can make dinner everyday for my husband and keep up with the house and laundry so my hubby can relax and watch the Pirates now lol... I can babysit my toddler nephew all day and play with him and chase him.

I never thought I would see any of these things happen again. Lupus was kicking my a$$ and as hard as I fought I couldn't beat it. Now its my turn I'm fighting back and taking my life back. I know that this is not a cure because there is no cure but this is best case scenario for me and I will certainly take it.

When I'm on higher doses of prednisone and having a pity party for myself I get on here and read all the posts and it seriously turns my attitude right around! So thank you all for being here for me to help me and support my journey! You guys all rock!!

And by the way I did hit my goal of being in ONDERLAND 2 days after my anniversary and that's close enough for me!!!!

Gotta go pack I am off to the beach tomorrow for a well deserved vacation!!!!!!

What a great post! You have completely changed the course of your life -- truly amazing progress. I really admire your courage and attitude, your willingness to work so hard for your health despite major obstacles. You are not letting anything get in the way of your happiness and that is a beautiful thing. You deserve a medal! Congratulations on Onederland -- way to go! I'm so glad you're here on this forum.

This post just brought a tear to my eye...... A tear of pure happiness for you, and for all of us who have/are in the process of reclaiming our health. YOU ROCK !!!!!!!!!

Another story of success that brought tears to my eyes. You have so much to be proud of.

Thank you all can't even begin to tell you how much your comments mean!!

That is wonderful news!!!! Congratulations to you and enjoy your vacation.

Edited by Lady VS

Now THIS is what we talk about when we talk about Successful Bandsters! Congratulations, and enjoy your new self!

You.are. AMAZING !!!!!! CONGRATS !!! Love your positive can do attitude ! The glass is always half full, not half empty in my book too ! Way to go !! Im a runner too, slow but getting better, its a different frame of mind when you can run , is' nt it ??? Its really empowering knowing that your strong healthy body is taking you places !!! Happy for you !!! I'd say more, but im off to a long run , so happy 4th of July !!!

See you did gain lmao You gained confidence and your health back and so much more ,so wonderful, that you have got control an are doing great .

Congratulations!!! That is awesome!! Great story

Thank you for your post! You have proven what a positive attitude can do ! I am an ovarian cancer survivor and I had two strokes (one massive) at a very young age. I was determined to have a positive attitude and it has helped tremendously! I was well enough to get surgery and I had family saying it was too risky with my health. Well, I wasn't going to get better at the weight I was at. After surgery I stopped using a mobility cart to do my shopping and started pushing a grocery cart around for excercise. I walk with a cane now and I've walked a 5k, it took forever lol but unfortunately I cannot run. I have equilibrium problems but I refuse to give in! I hope and pray that you remain healthy for a very long time so you can be the great mom and wife that you are . I know the prednisone sucks but if it helps you, you've got to take it. Keep up the good work and I wish you nothing but the best !

Edited by dawalsh

@@naenaern777

I know this thread is older, but I'm just seeing it for the first time today. Wow. ...what a great story! Congrats! :)