Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Garcia - You're experience/story would be appreciated!

HI Everyone,

I'm new to the board here. Finally scheduled my surgery day for September 15th, with Dr. Garcia in Mexico through Ready4Achange.

I had 3 friends get gastric sleeve by him and they are all doing wonderful. Just wondering if you are all willing to share your experience/story with me as well. I'm most fearful about how to train to eat after the surgery, and after care. Do they give you enough instructions to figure it out after? Also, did any of you end up having a hiatal hernia surgery as well and do they charge extra for that do you know?

Thanks much!

Jas~ =)

Edited by jasmomo

My husband, daughter and myself are scheduled with him for VSG on Sept. 19. My sis in law had her VSG last July and has done very well. They do provide you with ample information and a person to contact shoud you have issues or problems after coming home. Sounds like we will both be there at the same time. We are flying in on the 17th and out on the 23rd. Maybe we can meet up at the hotel or something. My sis in law started at around 320-350 range and 11 months out she is down to 210 or so. She went from a 3x/4x to a 16/18. The physical transformation has been incredible. We are all very excited.

Hi. I had surgery with Dr Fernando Garcia in Tijuana on may/14. I posted here my whole experience. I'm not sure how to put a link of my post here but im pretty sure you can search on my profile for that specific post. I hope it helps. Good luck ; )

Btw the title of my thread is " Dr Fernabdo Garcia - my experience"

I just read your thread and it was so helpful! Thank you for posting that!! Sounds like a really incredible experience and I haven't been very nervous but if there was a tiny bit of nerves you helped calm them! Thanks for mentioning the tipping part too! I'll be sure to bring small bills =)

I was sleeved by Dr. Garcia on 7/3/13 and could not be happier. He and his staff are wonderful!! You will be given a ton of literature to read and will forget half of what you are told by the time you return home, but the paperwork is pretty easy to follow. So much of it is common sense that it really is hard to screw up. The first couple of weeks are the hardest, but after that you get the hang of it, and the weight is falling off. I do not regret for one second going with Dr. Garcia, he has absolutely changed my life.

Dr. Garcia and staff are awesome. I haven't had any complications and I am continuing to lose weight. Good luck to you in your new life.

My experience:

8/5/13: I flew into San Diego to be picked up by the driver, Samuel Jr. (very nice man). We went to the Marriott hotel which is very nice. I was met by Irene from Ready4Achange. She is sweet and will bend over backward to get you what you need/want. My room was very clean and comfy.

8/6/13: The Marriott driver took me to Florence Hospital (Oasis hospital) where I met Eduardo, the coordinator from ready4achange. If you ask him he will keep your passport for you in his safe and return it before you leave. The hospital was clean and tidy; however, their standards of decor are different than ours (American). In the bathroom the workmanship is very sloppy and tends to look dirty. Nevertheless, it is not!

Once I filled out all the paperwork, I went for lab tests. IV was hooked up; surgery was set for late afternoon. Dr. Garcia came in and explained the surgery. Make sure you discuss your bougie size. (He will explain) Next thing I remember...waking up in my bed, surgery finished.

They will make you get up and walk, walk, walk and walk some more. This is to help with the gas pains. You will be attached to an IV pole with great medication. I had no pain what so ever! Of course, everyone is different. You probably will have a drain. This is not a problem...gets removed before you leave the hospital, feels weird when they remove it.

Make friends with the other patients on the floor. This will give you a support group to help you through the process.

8/8/13: Marriott driver picked me up to return to the hotel. The only down side was the check in time for the hotel. I waited 4 hours in the lobby and restaurant for my room to be ready. When it was ready it was heaven. You are entitled to 3 chicken broths per day and 2 bottles of Water and 2 popsicles. A word about the popsicles...DO NOT EAT THEM...THEY TASTE LIKE CRAP!!! If you want a popsicle, it is better to go down stairs to the tobacco shop and buy one (they are awesome!) (Another reason to bring some money)

8/9/13: Dra. Velazco came to the hotel to remove my staples

8/10/13: Picked up by Samuel Sr. from ready4achange. Flew home.

Suggestions:

1st: Do not over pack! (I did) all you need is clothes to and from the hotel. Bring a pair of pajama bottoms or a pair of shorts to wear with the hospital gown (gets breezy when you walk), underwear, walking shoes, and toothbrush etc...

2nd: Gas-x strips and chapstick are a must. Bring a book to read as the hotel TV has few English speaking channels.

3rd: Plan on bringing some money to tip the staff (hotel and drivers). I recommend smaller bills because change is not always available. Of course, you don't have to tip, but, they appreciate the effort.

Peso exchange is around 12p to 1.00.

Hello! I just had my sleeve done July 15th by Dr. Garcia and feel amazing!!! The hospital was just like everyone said not the newest but very clean. The staff was amazing. I flew in for same day surgery. I landed at 9:40am and went back into surgery at 1pm. I had a little discomfort with the gas pain in my shoulder but walking fixed that right away. My aunt and I actually did it together and we state two nights at the hospital and then one night at the Marriott. It was a very nice hotel and we spend the afternoon laying by the pool. We flew out the next morning. (July 18th) all and all it was a fantastic experience.

HI!! The link to my surgery experience with Dr.Garcia is in my signature. I am almost 4 months post op and all is good. I did experience multiple stalls but that is because my diet and nutrition was all over the place.

I had my surgery July 18th, 2014 with Dr Garcia. He is amazing as is the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable. The hospital? It's a hospital, you aren't going to get your good rest there. That will happen when you get back to your hotel. The hotel beds I'm still dreaming about they were so comfortable. At the hospital I noticed that the nurses during the day spoke better English, night staff wasn't as fluent. But you have some fun times trying to tell them what you need. Take slippers you will need to walk every chance you get. I also would take gas strips, I wish I had. I had horrible gas pains that the pain meds did nothing for. Better safe then sorry. After surgery they will very quickly get you back into your own clothes make sure these are loose and thin. My only complaint is they keep the place HOT, they will bring a fan in if you ask for it. For your companion take plenty of snack items. Eduardo who is your contact at the hospital took my husband one day to Breakfast but the rest of the meals he ordered Subway which got expensive. Take plenty of small bills not only for the food but for tipping. We got a good laugh at what he got back in Pesos it was different every time even though he ordered the same thing. They give you a packet when you leave with phone #'s and emails for everyone you have had contact with including drs. I've emailed about a half a dozen times with questions and got a response almost immediately. For the trip home loose clothing, check bag if possible and if you can bring a pillow it really helps to put over your stomach. Most of all realize that you are having surgery it isn't a vacation, have a great attitude knowing that you have made the best decision for YOU. Since I've been home I've lost 12 pounds, BP is normal no BP meds, blood sugars normal not taking any diabetic meds. Already my quality of life has improved. The liquid diet has been my hardest hurdle, I'm not hungry but I know I have to eat. The head hunger/ cravings are crazy, the things that I've thought sound so good even though I know I'm not hungry. Changing my mindset to eat to survive not survive to eat.

Blessings to all!!

Tricia

Total loss pre/post op 40 pounds.

Edited by ausdrew

I have a minor query -

Did you tip the driver when he brought you from San Diego airport to TJ and then again for the return journey? Or give one bigger tip after the return?

Thanks.

I had Samuel Jr. for the drive in and Samuel Sr. for the drive home. I knew this in advance, therefore, I tipped them at the time. However, if it was going to be only Samuel Jr. I would tip him at the return trip. I tipped them each 20.00 because each of them went out of there way and played tour guide.