Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Profession after surgery?

Hi ya'll! I've been lurking for a while around here. While I haven't had surgery yet (I'm still in the research phase of my journey) I had a question for everyone. I make wedding cakes... And I feel like once I have surgery I may have to cut that out of my life... As a form of self control. Has anyone struggled with their food profession after surgery and what did you do to overcome it? I really don't want to give up doing it. I love it. Any advice is appreciated!

I haven't had surgery yet either, but from what I see on these boards it's common for tastes to change post-op. I'm interested to find out what foods I won't want any more - I hope I will lose my craving for bread.< /p>

So it would probably be best to wait and see. You may still enjoy making your cakes but not have any desire to taste them.

I was a bread-a- holic. I loved my bread! I was so hoping that this surgery would change my tastes, and it has. I find that I no longer crave bread, Pasta, pizza, lasagna, french fries, pastries, anything with simple carbs. meat is what I crave now...and veggies. I've eaten more salads in the past month than I had in five years.

I'm on a stall right now, but I know my body is just readjusting, so I'm not worried.

I am a nurse by profession, but I am a good cook. Before my VSG, I didn't bake because I was afraid I would eat what I made. I love cooking and baking now , I am no longer afraid of eating the "goodies". Like the others poster mentioned , I crave Protein based foods now- not the sugary empty calorie ones . Weird

I have no personal story to share, but I've fantasized about becoming a wedding cake baker/decorator! I hope that you're able to continue doing it without it negatively impacting your success with the sleeve. My hunch is that you'll be able to make it work, with just minimal tasting for flavor.

My downfall right now is sweets. I love decorating so much! It's my way to let loose and be free from my strict/all business day job.

I'm a hobby caker and nurse by profession. VSG 12/4/13, sweets don't have the same appeal anymore. More than a sliver of cake makes me feel yucky within 30 minutes. Best of luck to you.

a friend of mine had RNY about a year ago and is also a home-business cake baker.

she continues to do it even post op and has reached and remained at goal. she says it's not a problem for her at all, just VERY small tastes if required.

Look at it this way: you make cakes for clients. You don't eat them; they do. Just don't make a sample of it for yourself. My husband bakes all sorts of sweets for church and loved ones. He never takes a bite. As long as you don't start to sample the cake yourself, you should be fine.

i am doing private cheffing right now. its not an issue, since i cook for people on special diets. when i was around sweets all the time at work, (pre surgery), i rarely ate them. at home though, when i baked for my family, it was my time to gorge. it was scary. i dont bake much at home now, but its much better. however, i dont tolerate sweets well. they make me feel icky. if they didnt it might be harder. i grew up eating gluten free (my mom has celiacs). and tend to lose my mind around baked treats. but at work, i seem to do fine.

currently working on certification for personal trainer and health coach. :)