Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, @@bellaaa_vita

Thanks for your response and all the information.

I will look into the products. Thanks again.

4 months post and 77 pounds lost (including preop). My super thick healthy hair is falling out by the handfuls. It's also dry and brittle (used to be oily). I'm so glad to hear many say it gets better and grows back. I can't image how I'm gonna look by Christmas. It was very thick to start so hopefully no bald spots will happen but it is freaky. I still have 80 to go. Does it keep falling out til you stop losing or is it generally at the 9 month mark like I keep hearing? It's totally worth it though. Wouldn't change a thing.

I'm 10 weeks out and the hair loss is starting, even though I've been taking my regular Vitamins plus Biotin and folic acid. It's not handfuls, but pretty much every time I run my fingers through my hair a couple strands come with them! It reminds me of the Hair loss after pregnancy. My hair is pretty thick, so hopefully I won't have to seek out the Topix or Eufora products, but thanks for the recommendations!

Although the majority of people on this thread have lost hair, I don't think every single person experiences this. I am like Miss Mac I have not had any Hair loss either. My hairdresser, whom I see each month, also hasn't noticed any difference in my hair. I am almost 6 months out with an 80 lb. loss. I take my Vitamin B12, Vitamin D 5000 mg, Wellbutrin and my Opti source post bariatric Vitamins twice a day that the doctor highly recommended verses over the counter regular vitamins. I also make a weight watcher shake with low fat milk every other day to get my milk in. not sure if one of those bariatric practices is what is helping, but not going to change. Good luck everyone!

Edited by morgan53

I was sleeved on 4/9 and within the last 2 weeks have started to lose my hair. Fortunately, I have very thick hair (way more than I need) lol.. With that being said, I don't want to lose too much. I like my thick hair. I hope it doesn't last to long. My nails seem to be ok. However, my joints have been extremely achy lately. Does anyone else have that problem?

post-197838-0-11567100-1404923868_thumb.jpg

This was before. And this is after.... (Cries)

post-197838-0-81596500-1404923934_thumb.jpg

I have been taking a ton of Biotin since before the surgery on dec 30th. I've lost 80 lbs. I also get all of my Protein. I take prenatal Vitamins, Vit D, b-beautiful Vitamins for hair, evening primrose, and a mega fruit and veggie supplement.

My hair is now growing back after I added Iron and I just started rogain as well. I do use topik and can't imagine I could have made it without it when it was that bad. Finally it's growing back. Tons of tiny hairs are coming in. It started in month three and it's ending in month seven. Here is now.

post-197838-0-64158200-1404924237_thumb.jpg

Mind u I am using topik in this pic and being creative in my parts these days.

I see all these posts about the Hair loss and would be lying if I said it doesn't scare me , but if that is what I have to go thru I guess that's what I have to go thru. I am writing down all this stuff people are using and I am hoping for the best.

@@hopeful one,

I posted previously about how much hair I've lost...I will tell you, it's worth it. I would do this all over again, even with the Hair loss. You may lose some, you may lose a lot, you may not lose any - it was a chance I was willing to take. I'm glad I did.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you McButterpants, This group gives me so much hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this site. The People are great.

XXShelXX , I can only hope mine looks as good as yours. I think it looks just fine.

I concur with McB. Totally worth it. When I remember how I FELT at 325 I know it's worth it. At 247, I feel a bazillion times better. As I go through all of these drastic changes, the outwardly changes are more apparent to others. But the internal way I FEEL is what's drastic to me. I still have a long way to go. More change to come....

XXShelXX , I can only hope mine looks as good as yours. I think it looks just fine.

u are super sweet. Losing my hair was the worst part of this journey but it's temporary. Thankfully there are ways to cover it and it's coming back now. Like others have said I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

I am almost 10 weeks post-op and the hair loss has started. I don't know why I thought I would be immune to it, but here it is. I hope the Biotin helps a little. I do have a lot of hair, so I am not too worried. I was also thinking of going shorter at the end of the summer. I just might have to do it sooner.

I have a lot of curly fine hair. I'm black, and my hair is natural (I've been told I have good hair, but I don't know what that means because the curl is a beast). I stopped relaxing it in 2012 after my stylist told me she wouldn't give me highlights if I kept relaxing it. I'm almost 10 weeks post op. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't lose too much. I've been taking a pre-natal Vitamin with Biotin, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. But If I lose hair I can always buy a wig. My mom lost all of her hair when she had chemo.. it grew back. All things are temporary!

Hair loss is fairly common post op and there’s not a whole lot you can do about it unfortunately. Either it’s going to happen or it won’t and the degree of hair loss varies per person. Vitamins help somewhat, but you’re going through something that’s medical in nature and it’s a response to the trauma your body went through coupled with the resources it requires to heal. You’re going through something called telogen effluvium, and I know it’s scary but you just need to breathe and wait it out. IT WILL STOP! I PROMISE! I took Hair Skin and Nail supplements for Bariatric patients and I still suffered about 20% hair loss. I believe it did help though but again… it won’t stop it entirely or prevent it. These are what I took. <3

http://vita4life.net/products/bariatric-vitamins-hair-skin-and-nail-support.html