Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band or sleeve? Why did you get revision to sleeve?

My surgeon told me flat out that this band was permanent. He did initially ask why I ruled out the sleeve. I told him my reasons and he accepted that. He still does many bands and his is a Bariatric Center of Excellence. By reading these boards I've learned that too tight leads to many problems. And PBs, stuck episodes, reflux, etc. are signs of being too tight. So I'm very aware of this and cautious. I want my band to last and I am scared of erosion and slippage. I also know that with proper monitoring I can make sure I'm not developing problems. Right now that's easy to see with good satiety and steady weight loss. When I get to goal and maintaining, it will be more of a challenge but still my responsibility to listen to my body and have the doc check my band annually. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I know this is a lifelong commitment.

Hi! Just curious, who is your doctor? My doctor told me the same thing. Mine is Dr. Darin Minkin

My current surgeon, Has explained that it is short sighted to believe these can stay permanently.

I still can't understand how anyone would accept 15% failure rate as acceptable!

Thank you bandarella for making the point.

If you like the band have at it. However it's not a matter of if it will fail, or cause damage but when.

I was head over heels and thought I found the holy grail until I dug a little deeper.

Allergen as well as many of the facilities that sold the bands are suing each other, it will only be a matter of time before there is a recall or ban.

This is my opinion. I wish you were right and I did not

Needs another surgery.

@@JustWatchMe congratulations on your success thus far...

The problem with those who experience failure or complications isn't the failure to comply or keep the band a bit on the loose side. The very concept of the band is flawed.

This is your own opinion and has no basis in fact. You're still grinding your ax here even though your band failure was surgeon induced. Please provide your proof to document your assertion?

I believe that most people who fail with the band do so through lack of compliance. Sure, there may be a few who fall into your little niche but people fail with any WLS and most of it is due to lack of compliance. However, compliance is more crucial with the band. Non compliance can create a multitude of serious complications that you won't see with the other WLS.

And there is no doubt that our bodies can reject the band, the port and the eating protocols we have to live with. What % is unknown but it's probably at least 33% of the failures.

I think most all recently banded patients are aware of the serious consequences of WLS, all WLS. But there happens to be a segment of this patient population who do not want their guts rearranged. Without the band, thousands of this niche, would continue to yo-yo diet till they die an early death. Thanks Heavens for the band.

My systems came only recently, long after the damage has been done. The dilating has been going on for a while and apparently I had adapted. It wasn't until it got to it worst that it presented itself and I needed to go to the dr. That is when the upper GI was done.

My point you may be doing irreparable damage and not know it until it is too late.

I have no dog in this race. People can and should choose whatever solution works for them: diet and exercise, vsg, RnY, lap band...whatever.

However, there are huge differences in the metabolic advantages provided by vsg and RnY.

Here is one of many studies:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3410227/

And....even though vsg and RnY have huge metabolic advantages...still doesn't mean either are right for everyone.

Make your choice and then empower that choice.

@@2muchfun this is a discussion. Insulting me only serves to reflect on you. I have no "axe to grind".

I got an email notification of new posts on this thread...if the person I responded to can be respectful of my experience, why can't you?

The surgeons' guide to lapband by allergan. Full of stats.

http://www.allergan.com/assets/pdf/lapband_dfu.pdf

I was a huge band supporter, banded in 2008 lost all my weight in 9 months stayed at goal for almost 6 years no problems.. The bam I started having major issues, couldn't keep anything down, for a complete unfill still vomiting.. I followed all the band rules for 6 years! No Pasta, no rice no bread no soda.. Never ate more than a cup of food at a time I didn't drink with meals etc.. My band failed. I was devastated. It didn't slip and it wasn't anything to do with me. It had eroded. I still am super upset I paid $18,500 for that damn thing. Yes it helped me to lose the weight I just wish I had had bypass first. I had to be revised from band to bypass on May 21, 2014 and honestly it's been amazing! I haven't had any dumping at all and I am healthy. If you think your band will stick with you I pray you are right but out of the 5 friends of mine who had it I was the only one who's lasted over 5 years. @@2muchfun I understand your eagerness and joy with your band I used to be you. I pray you don't have issues as soooooo many do. I honestly only know of a handful who still have a lapband that is still doing great over 6 years with no issues and I only know of them from these type of posts.

We will see how he feels in a few years.

The fallacy that the band last forever will soon become his own nightmare.

We post our opinions so others can make up their mind based on that. No one needs to be in attack mode.

If defending the homor makes you feel better, go ahead, but so far you have not stated any facts as you are so barking for from others.

Also you wanted stats well here is some provided by abcnews.. 50% of lapband patients have issues.. Read the full article for the study..

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/story?id=13187452

I had Lapband in 2009. Lost 108 lbs in less than 2 years but also got acid reflux really severe and had to take most of the Fluid out to alleviate it. Started gaining again and put most of the weight back on when I had them put more fluid back in it made me miserable and I'd throw up and have acid reflux again. They sent me for testing and it slipped. They took all fluid out n waited to see if it would correct itself. It didn't. They said it had to come out. And did I want to explore other options? I went with the sleeve and it was hard decision to make because I never wanted a permanent surgery and when my band worked I loved it but without anything I would've ended up being one of those people whod never leave their bed because I'd be 600 lbs someday. I knew myself well enough and how bad my eating was unrestricted . They removed my band in may and it was slipped even further than when they found it and I had scar tissue on my stomach from it also. Sleeve surgery was 8/5/14 and so far so good. Typical pain and after surgery issues but everyday is a little better. I don't regret my band. Wish it would've worked out differently and I learned a lot. But I have peace this time that I made the right decision. Don't know if this helps ya or not.

@@2muchfun this is a discussion. Insulting me only serves to reflect on you. I have no "axe to grind".

I got an email notification of new posts on this thread...if the person I responded to can be respectful of my experience, why can't you?

The surgeons' guide to lapband by allergan. Full of stats.

http://www.allergan.com/assets/pdf/lapband_dfu.pdf

No one disrespected you so you can drop the feigned indignation. I was calling you out on this statement. "The problem with those who experience failure or complications isn't the failure to comply or keep the band a bit on the loose side. The very concept of the band is flawed"

Your link to Allergan doesn't support your statement or your opinion.

This thread has turned into another band bashing tirade. I can't let unsubstantiated remarks go unanswered. You can have your opinion but don't present it as facts. Please?

We will see how he feels in a few years.

The fallacy that the band last forever will soon become his own nightmare.

We post our opinions so others can make up their mind based on that. No one needs to be in attack mode.

If defending the homor makes you feel better, go ahead, but so far you have not stated any facts as you are so barking for from others.

I never claimed it would last forever, that was your strawman. I would imagine that some people will be able to keep their band for their entire life but for others, it may have to be replaced or removed?

And I too can post my opinions! But unlike some posters, I can back my opinions up with studies and personal experience.

Also you wanted stats well here is some provided by abcnews.. 50% of lapband patients have issues.. Read the full article for the study..

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half-patients-complications/story?id=13187452

This is just the same study that you band deniers keep regurgitating and it was a very small study of patients who received the band in it's infancy. Good grief, do you think all kidney transplants worked 100% when transplants were first performed? Or hearts, or total knee replacements? 1994-1997 was 20 years ago, before the device was even cleared by the FDA here in the states and before the newer devices were introduced and a new procedure. Here's a recent study that blows that one out of the water: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23235396 If you're going to disparage my WLS, please try to use recent facts and studies and not antiquated old news stories.

My surgeon (who's been doing all three WLSs for 10+ years (maybe longer?) strongly discouraged people at the introductory lecture I attended from getting a lapband. He said there are now problems with scarring, slippage, and finding the right amount of fill so it's not too tight or too loose. He also described the lapband experience as one that sounded to me like you are in and out of the surgeon's office pretty frequently.

His non-verbal, facial and other cues when he was talking about lapband communicated clearly that he seriously disapproves of it.

Just sayin'.

I have not yet seen any of your studies.

Anything that needs additional surgery or removal constitutes failure.

I have a band and was once in a rose colored world. The rate of additional surgeries to correct "issues" is in my opinion unacceptable.

In ca the lap band has virtually disappeared.

You seem very angry, no one is insulting your choice, but however expressing their experiences and feelings about the band.