Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's get acquainted.

HI everyone,

I don't think there are many WLS members that are 70 or older. I think it will be interesting to know about our experiences and how it has affected our lives.

I was 72 when I had RNY. I was type II diabetic and taking more insulin all the time with more problems coming on. Dreading the problems of aging with the weight and poor health as I approached 80, was the motivation to find a surgeon. I really did not know very much about the process. The surgeon was head of a uniersity medical bariatric department and very easy to get to know and feel comfortable with. I'm amazed how much better I feel and the additional energy. I feel like 45 again instead of 75.

My interests are gardening, art, interior design, making glass beads, and cooking. We own and run a B&B so I make a gourmet breakfast and feature food that is healthy and delicious. We get a lot of vegetarians and gluten free guests. It is hard work but I have help from my husband. It would be impossible to do as the old me but the surgery has been successful and made many new possibilities.

I hope you are enjoying life and good health too.

I live in Crawfordsville, IN

post-192340-0-22812000-1404181244_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1Artist

HI everyone,

I don't think there are many WLS members that are 70 or older. I think it will be interesting to know about our experiences and how it has affected our lives.

I was 72 when I had RNY. I was type II diabetic and taking more insulin all the time with more problems coming on. Dreading the problems of aging with the weight and poor health as I approached 80, was the motivation to find a surgeon. I really did not know very much about the process. The surgeon was head of a uniersity medical bariatric department and very easy to get to know and feel comfortable with. I'm amazed how much better I feel and the additional energy. I feel like 45 again instead of 75.

My interests are gardening, art, interior design, making glass beads, and cooking. We own and run a B&B so I make a gourmet Breakfast and feature food that is healthy and delicious. We get a lot of vegetarians and gluten free guests. It is hard work but I have help from my husband. It would be impossible to do as the old me but the surgery has been successful and made many new possibilities.

I hope you are enjoying life and good health too.

Where are you from?

well...a few of us! I had roux-en y two weeks before my 73rd birthday. my first question to my surg. was, "am I too old?" he said as long as my regular gp felt I was in good enough health to expect another three to five years of life, he would consider me for the bypass.

I am now 4.5 mo. post op and doing well. I am a slow loser...nearly bed bound so very little exercise. my gp still wants me on one diabetes med even though my numbers meet my bypass surgeon's criteria for being free from it. and my blood pressure is normal for the first time since I was 18!

I have lost 58 pounds and am happy with that. my body is so broken by fibromyalgia, scoliosis, sciatica on both sides, arthritis, spontaneous spinal fusion, four strokes, two heart attacks, ...I'm quite surprised the surg. would operate. I was also under a diagnosis for multiple sclerosis for 11 yrs which was lifted about six moths before the op. when I went into surg., I knew my gall bladder was leaving but...wow!...what a mess was found when they got inside! the robot and Dr. Todd found I had a Petersen's defect. my intestines had herniated and wrapped round and round and round my stomach. The surgery lasted six hours. When I woke up, a headache I had had for over 50 years was gone! What a miracle! Apparently, from my research, the hernia was started by my pregnancy with my first child who weighed over nine pounds.

So we older ones do have our stories to tell.

blessings,

Karen in the woods of Alaska

Karen, I just celebrated my 3rd year out. My recent lab test were excellent. I have had a little problem with anemia and low potassium but supplements and Vitamins have brought levels into proper range. My main issue is getting to bed at a decent hour. I really need more sleep and have been told that is one of the pieces to maintaining weight loss.

Sorry about your health status. Have you considered Water aerobics? It will help your sciatica. Try to get your doctor to prescribe Water therapy, if he can't , join a class with a heated pool.

Hi ladies,

I just had my surgery this past Tuesday and will be seventy-one in a couple of weeks. Would love to keep in touch with you all. I find I cannot sleep in my bed as yet and am more comfortable in my husband's cinema chair. When I lay down it feels like my insides are rolling around loose. I am still on the liquid diet, so am looking forward to next week hoping I can tolerate some cottage cheese, which I absolutely love!

Since you're both post- surgery would love to hear how you did if you can remember. :)

Love to cook, garden, read, craft, travel, etc. Having a B & B was one of the things I considered.

Love to meet new people.

Hope to heR from you.

Hugs

• The first week or two were overwhelming. I did sleep in my own bed but it was a little uncomfortable. I tried wrapping a binder around my stomach but it was stiff and too large so it didn;t help a lot. My pain was managed well and it hardly seemed like I had surgery. I took it easy and didn't take long drives and was careful about lifting weighty items. Menus took up a lot of time but my surgery was Sept 1, 11 which was enough time to get outside and walk. About the 10th week or so the doctors office gave me the okay to go the the gym. It isn't my favorite activity but I haven't gone in almost a year and notice weakness in my arms and legs so it is back to the gym asap.
Thus far, the surgery has delivered everything it was supposed to. My recent labs were good and I have a ton of energy. Owning a B&B is fun but lots of work. I have my husband who does the housework or else it would not be fun. I hope you have a quick recovery. Take care of yourself first and the rest of the family can wait for a short time until you feel back to par.

I am 75 and happy that i am on this journey. I've had to see a cardio and physch test and a nut for three months. I have one more visit with nut and then ready for insurance submission. I have mild spinal stenosis, BP and a sliding hilatial hernia. My doc says by pass because i did have hernia suregery many years ago and he concerned about scar tissuse attached to liver. I am happy to find other "youngsters" like me taking this step. I am excited but concerned a little about all the re-coup issues, like the gas etc. Hope I breeze thru ok. I live in Tx

Welcome to WLS. Yes, you will have a period of recovery but it passes quickly. Be sure that you have extensive instructions from your doctor and follow them to a "T". Three years out and I am still chewing small bites until it's mush and take 30 minutes to eat a meal. I love the triggers that let me know to stop eating. Good habits can become permanent.

Good luck to you.

I am 72 and have my RNY surgery scheduled for 29 October. So happy to hear from others in the same age category. This seems to be the most positive group that I have read, the others were making me a little hesitant and anxious. My surgeon said I look 15 years younger then my actual age on the outside. But on my tests they read like a person 15 years older than my actual age. High BP, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, arthritis, hip replacement (and more replacements to come if I didn't get the weight off), Barrett's Esophagus (and four out of six family members with cancer). It feels like it's the thing I should do, but certainly helps to read there are others out there like me.

I live in Florida and Arizona. Love travel, making stained and fused glass, music and theater. Very active in my Inter-denominational church, and have a very supportive husband of 53 years.

Starting tomorrow, three Optifast drinks and Water, nothing else until the surgery.

Looking forward to the connection with each of you. JTS

JTS,

Congratulations on making the decision to change directions for better health. I have gotten along fine and it sounds like you have a good attitude and good reasons also. I hope you will update us when you get through surgery.

Mondaylady in TX...when is your surgery scheduled? I'm scheduled for 29th of Oct. Have last visit with surgeon today. No turning back now. Have lost 10 pounds on Opti-fast....nothing else, for last 15 days.

Surgery went well. I'm two weeks out with no nausea or pain. Haven't shared my journey with anyone except very supportive husband. Tonight going to a restaurant for the first time. I planned ahead, I will have a cup of Soup broth, and if "tiny tummy" likes it, a little of my husbands tilapia. Friends will have to get used to someone that isn't hungry.

Glad to hear you're doing well, every day will get better. Just remember to chew, chew, chew, when you eat solid foods.

I have had the "dumping syndrome" several times. You'd think I'd learn......nope!

It's all good though!

Enjoy your time out!

Hugs

Hi All I am 71 and will be having a bi-pass on Jan 31st. I am trying to read all I can on this subject so I don't make any bad mistakes along the way. Any help from you who have had the surg is welcome . I have done all the necessary requirements and am to start my skim milk diet on Jan4th. not looking forward to just skim milk for 21 days LOL or sugar free Jello and tea but will do what I must, I hope ! I am happy there are groups on the net like this one to help and not feel alone. My best friend who lives in Texas now just called to say she is coming 2 days before my surgery and staying with me for 3 weeks !!! I am so happy to have her here with me. Husband is here but just not the same as a girl friend.