Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am one month post op, and so far my weight loss has been great. My only issue is that I have cut coffee out and replaced it with hot teas. But .... I MISS MY COFFEE!!! Don't get me wrong I love a hot cup of tea but it's so much better in the evening. I need that morning pick me up like coffee!!! What are the guidelines for drinking coffee after lap band?

I am day 3 post-op and just sat down to my long awaited first cup. I was not given any directions to quit coffee. I did use almond milk just in case there is any lactose intolerance. I also cut my caffeine intake down for 6 weeks prior to RNY. Two heaping tablespoons is now 3/4 of a flat tbs of granules.

Edited by latido

Not sure if the guidelines for the Lapband are different from the Sleeve, but my surgeon hasn't restricted my coffee at all. Both he and my nut said that in the past they restricted coffee but no longer believe it's a problem after surgery.

So I've been consuming coffee from about 3 weeks out and it's not been a problem in any way ...

My doctor never said yes or no to coffee. I have searched it online and some wls sites say yes and others say no or with restrictions like Decaf. I don't drink a lot but when waking up by 430 every morning i need that liquid pick me up!!

For a few of us, not talking to the die hard coffee drinkers here.

I drank a fresh hot cup of coffee every morning thanks to my cool little Keurig coffee maker, I absolutely love it. Since preparing and having this surgery and no longer adding an array of dreamy tasting Creamers I found out is what I was in love with is all the flavored creamers. Although a few are still in the fridge I bought one that is sugar free and fat free and can honestly say, YE-UCK. Apparently sugar and fat are the tasty part, the only good part to me so I am going to just have to forget the little joy of my morning indulgence for a better body and who knows, I am sure sometime in my life here and there I will enjoy a cup just not to often. This fat just isn't worth it.

BTW, my keurig has brewed a lot of Water lately for my broth and such, lol Works great.

Colleen

I was left to decide for myself on coffee as well. I had lost my interest in it for about 6 months postOp but eventually returned to 'the Good Cup'.

I'm one of those who hold that the only thing that improves coffee is whiskey.

Since I had to abandon whiskey 25 years ago in the general struggle against diabetes, a Good Cup of Coffee became very important.

Given the absolutely astonishing wide variety of varieties of Beans and roasting tricks, it is unlikely I'll ever run out of new pleasurable discoveries in matters of 'The Cup'.

A mystery unlikely to be solved, is how some insist the Nobel Bean needs to be converted into a confectionery item.

My own taste places 'Black Coffee' in a category of necessity similar to 'Hard Protein'. Friends of different persuasion inform that I'll never know what I'm missing by foregoing their pasty-replacement concoction.

An old Arab saying is that coffee should be 'hot as hell, black as night, sweet as love'.

Except for the sweet part, that's my cup. And let it cool just a bit.

To each their own.

Edited by Jack

I have 3 cups every morning and 5 on weekends. My surgeon never said I couldn't and it hasn't hurt me.

I was served coffee in the hospital the day after my lapband surgery. It wasn't a shot of espresso, granted, but it was a cup of coffee.< /p>

That said, caffeine affects me much more now that I have the band. For my Nespresso maker, I've swapped out all the strong blends for decaf...the shots of real coffee made me way too jittery. But for a latte, I can still take the real stuff since it's cut with the milk.

Do check with your post op people just to get an ok from your team. Some practices feel caffeine is too harsh on a post op stomach and will not allow it back into your diet until a certain number of weeks have gone by.

Thank you thank you! I had a cup this morning with some NF milk and was only able to drink 1/2 but didn't feel jittery or anything so I think I may have another tomorrow!

I drink 1-2 cups every morning..it helps loosen the band a bit, yet takes away my appetite...so win-win!

For those of you that want flavored coffee you can add Torani sugar free syrups to it. They come in a multitude of flavors. You can buy them directly from the company which I think is the easiest or they do sell them at World Market if you have on in your area also Amazon and eBay have them but charge more then retail which is $7.95 approximately.

This is just a suggestion.

I use the syrups in my Protein Shakes and my niece uses them in her coffee even though she doesn't need sugar free. We both really enjoy them.

I have a medium ice coffee every day. Black no sugar. But that's how I always drank it. Doc or nut said no problem as long as Protein and Clear Liquids were done during the day. It sure does make my mornings easier

Latte...mmmmmmmm

I was told to just see how it settled with my stomach and to not load it up with all kinds of fattening, sugary Creamers syrups etc. for calories. Luckily I drink mine black or with a dash of milk.

Torani is just over $3 at Wal-Mart - a very valuable product. I type this as I sip my morning fix :-)