Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for 7/22/14 surgery buddy

Glad things are going well for you, @Boise. This was my first full day out of the hospital, and things are going okay. I can't tell if I have additional gas or if it's the hernia repair, but I'm having very slight chest pain, especially when I swallow. I just removed all my Bandages and took a shower and cleaned my incisions. That wasn't too bad, but I'm not looking forward to having them removed next Friday. Other than that, things seem to be going better than expected.

@@tfowler mu incisions were glued so I don't have to go have them removed I think k that's a good thing. Once I got home I was able to get more comfortable and to consume more fluids. I have do e great today. 2 bottles of premier Protein and 42 oz of peppermint tea, Water, G2, popsicle, and broth. I am no longer nauseated and for the most part controlling the pain with the oxi and Tylenol.

How are you?

I had my surgery on the 22nd as well. I left the hospital yesterday and today is my first full day home. The pain is tolerable, but I have eaten 10 calories between yesterday and today. Had one full SF Jello and one SF popsicle. Only had maybe 10oz of Water in the two days. I feel full literally right away. Is this normal? I'm getting worried.

@@DimandGirl you probably should be getting way more liquids in than what you are. The guidelines that my surgeon gave me says that I can't even leave the hospital if I cannot get down at least 6 oz of Water in 1 hour. It is really easy to get dehydrated and they do not want to have you come back to the hospital to get more IV fluids. I would call your doctors office or the nutritionist and see what they recommend. Ours give us three little 2oz shot glasses and that is how we keep up with the fluids. Maybe that could help you to get in more? Best of luck to you! I have surgery on the 31st so I am not sure about the restriction part, but I personally think you should be getting a lot more than 10 oz in two days.

Edited by Dulce_jtrivera

Good morning ladies, this is my second full day home. I waited a bit to post because I was not feeling well and not in the mood to post anything nice :).

The day following surgery was difficult for me. I was very Nausiated and threw up everything I tried to swallow. Between that, the gas and the incision pain, I was in bad shape.

Today is my best day thus far. I am not hurting from the incision sites, and I'm able to drink pretty well. I sip Water, Isopure and sobee sugar free Water every hour. Three good sips of each.

I am feeling a lot of rumbling in my tummy and an occassional sharp pain right up the middle. Otherwise I'm feeling pretty good. How is everyone else?

Good morning ladies, this is my second full day home. I waited a bit to post because I was not feeling well and not in the mood to post anything nice :). The day following surgery was difficult for me. I was very Nausiated and threw up everything I tried to swallow. Between that, the gas and the incision pain, I was in bad shape. Today is my best day thus far. I am not hurting from the incision sites, and I'm able to drink pretty well. I sip Water, Isopure and sobee sugar free water every hour. Three good sips of each. I am feeling a lot of rumbling in my tummy and an occassional sharp pain right up the middle. Otherwise I'm feeling pretty good. How is everyone else?

I was right there with ya! Surgery the 22nd, and the 23rd was horrific with nausea, vomiting water/dry heaving. I also had a large hernia repair/hole in my diaphragm that I'm sure has added to the discomfort. But like everyone has said, each day seems a little better. Drinking 4oz of clears each hour & walking up a storm. It's very uncomfortable to be in a sitting position, so walking is the way to go. I can't stand the taste of the Tylenol with codeine (which I'm kinda bummed about). It's just not worth it.

This is a TMI, but haven't had a BM yet. Should I be worried about that? I mean, I have had nothing but Clear Liquids since the night before surgery.

I haven't had one either ginger. I would imagine the pain meds are constipating some. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the hollow feeling followed by a spasm of some sort. I can't tell if it's in my tummy or esophageal since I also had the hernia repaired there.

Hi, all. This has been my best day thus far. My sister brought me home yesterday, and we were in traffic for at least two hours with four cranky kids. By the time they left, I needed some Tylenol and a nap!

I will admit that I have been very lucky in that I have not experienced any nausea or vomiting, and I have had no real problems getting in my liquids. I'm not sure if it's the hernia repair or what, but I sometimes get some gas back up after I swallow anything. It definitely was worse when I tried to drink a Protein shake to get in some Protein. I don't know if it's the milk, but I'll try again later this evening.

My incisions aren't that bad. I'm keeping ointment on them. A couple of them are starting to itch, which I'm taking as a good sign.

I was able to get out by myself for a bit today. I just ran a couple of errands and to the grocery store. A little tiring, but very good.

The most frustrating part of this process (which I hate to admit) is that I have to give myself a shot of Lovenox. My sister had given me the shots the past few days, so today was the first day to give myself a shot. Sadly, it took me about 2.5 hours to administer the shot. I just couldn't put mind over matter for some reason. I went through about 10 alcohol wipes and 2 crying sessions before I just did it. It's embarrassing that I had so much trouble and that the cycle probably will repeat tomorrow, but I only have four more days of it. I think I can make it through it.

I'm glad everyone is doing much better! It's a one-day-at-a-time process.

I was sleeved on 7/22 and so far i only threw up once in the hospital after drinking liquid pain med. They switched to pill form and ive been fine. I too get gas after eating/drinking anything. Im still on clear liquids but I have my 1 week post op appt on the 29th. Im hoping i could add something else to my diet. Im so tired of sf Jello, popsicles, broth and Water. Also my pre op diet consisted of 2 protien shakes, 2 protien bars and 2 lean cuisines (under 300 cal each). I was on clear liquids the day before surg and nothing after midnight the day of surg.

I am still on clear liquids too. The nutritionist at the hospital said that's all I am supposed to be having until day 7. I'm drinking flavored Water beef and chicken broth Popsicles mostly.

I am having left side incision pain to the point of not being able to stand up completely straight. Hopefully that will resolve in the next few days. Aside from that I'm doing pretty well. I'm glad you are too!

Good morning, Sleevers!

I m feeling ok today. I actually got up and came to work. I dont think I will last all day but it feels good to be up and moving. Tomorrow I get to start full liquids. I never thought I would be so thankful to get back to my Protein shakes! I hope you are all doing well.

@@evanslaura79 You sound like you are doing GREAT! My surgery is this Thursday and I am just praying that this goes as smoothly as possible. It is what I have been waiting for for so long now it seems, but I am getting little doubts now.

My family, who have been very supportive of the whole thing are starting to make little comments like: are you sure this is what you want to do, you will never be able to eat that again, can you live without it, or you are just big boned -- you will never be a little person.... all of this has been weighing on me.

For one, I am not BIG BONED... I am 5'3, how big could my bones be? Secondly, I have been dieting now for over three months and have lost almost 30 lbs, I can live without sodas, cakes, ice cream, and all the goodies that they are worried about. ( that comment came from my grandma as she was eating her second donut..) And then lastly, I am sure I want to do this. Why be so negative about something that I have studied about, took the time to research. I've discussed it with two doctors, the psychologist, the nutritionist... This is what I want. *sorry if this is kinda ranting, need to vent somewhere*

I just want to be happy! I want to go into this on Thursday morning with no regrets and no doubt that I am doing the right thing. Everyone seems to be doing so well, I just want you guys to know that you are helping me to feel good about my decision. Thank you for your support! It is definitely appreciated!

@@evanslaura79 I came into work today, too. I'm a little tired, but I think I'm going to be able to do this. My incision sites are sore depending on how I bend and move, but most of my pain (which is dull at most) comes from my left abdominal muscle. I hope it's healing okay. It just feels sore. And...I guess I have some pain at my Lovenox injection sites. That's kinda weird but tolerable.

I've been able to sleep pretty well. I'm experimenting with turning onto my sides, and that actually allows for better sleep. It's a slow process, but it works.

I have stuck mostly with clear liquids. I went off the calendar I received in the Bariatrics University class, which indicated I could move onto full liquids after the first few days if I managed clear liquids okay. I was managing them alright, so I tried the chocolate Protein shake. However, that didn't go very well for me. I might try again this afternoon and see how that goes. I just get too much air back up after I swallow, which is painful. If all else fails, I'm sure I can manage a few more days of clear liquids.

I am sorta hungry but sorta not. It's very strange. When I see a commercial for something that looks good, I acknowledge it. I think to myself that it looks good, but I'm not really hungry for it. I do miss the crunch of food, though. I'll get over it soon.

I'm glad everyone is doing so well. I'm excited for you, too, @@Dulce_jtrivera . Don't let your family talk you out of it. I know I'm not even a week past my surgery date and it's too early for me to have regrets, but it's been a pretty simple process so far. It is a process, though, and it can't be rushed. If you're ready for it, then dive in!

Dulce, don't let them get in your head. Those are the same people that offer us second slices of cake at family gatherings. They don't understand our relationship with food is very different. You can do this, we have your back girl!

For lunch I made cream of chicken Soup and strained it. Then I set my timer and sip one tablespoon every 15 minutes. Seems to be holding down pretty well @@tfowler