Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for 7/22/14 surgery buddy

Good morning, everyone! I hope you all are having a fabulous week so far. I just wanted to drop in and give an update. I've been chatting with a few of you in PMs, but I wanted to catch up with all the others who have surgeries coming up really soon.

I finally (yes, finally) ordered Protein powder from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. I ordered the chicken Soup, strawberry sorbet, and variety pack. I'm excited to try different flavors. The downside to that, however, is that they'll be here on the 22nd--the day of my surgery. I guess the good thing is that they'll be there when I start the full liquids stage of the post-op diet. So far, I prefer my Protein shakes with milk, so I'm a little concerned that after surgery I will become lactose intolerant. That's just one more thing to add to my "what's going to happen to me after surgery" list. :D I know there are substitutes, so that makes me feel a little better.

@@evanslaura79 and I were chatting about dreaming about food. I previously had dreamt about food but couldn't recall what foods they were. Last night, though, was full on bacon. The funny part of that dream was that I was really upset I had bought and cooked real pork bacon instead of turkey bacon. In reality, I would be upset if I had accidently bought turkey bacon instead of pork ("real") bacon. Have any of you dreamt about food?

I had a moment yesterday when I was second-guessing my decision to have surgery. From what I can tell, this is a normal thought process to have right before surgery. I was leaving the store after having purchased more milk, and I thought to myself, "If I can lose 10 pounds like this, why can't I just keep doing this and lose it on my own?" That thought process did not last long, though, because the answer came sooner than I probably would have liked. My answer: Because I always fail when it's just me, my big stomach, and my itty bitty will power. Now that I'm really having to be accountable (accountable for losing weight pre-op to shrink the liver or risk a dangerous surgery or no surgery at all and accountable for eating right post-op to prevent pain and additional damage), I feel that there is more on the table here, and if that's what it takes for me to healthy, then damn it, I'm doing it.

My dad, who is only 61 years old, suffered a stroke back in April. He was lucky that the stroke happened while he was at work because a co-worker noticed his odd behavior and was able to call for help. He's recovering well now but still has a lot of healing to do. The entire family is lucky that his stroke wasn't worse. But from what the doctors revealed, his stroke was caused by uncontrolled blood pressure and lack of attention to his health. My dad has been a type 2 diabetic for about 20 years and never really took the diagnosis seriously. He's been overweight pretty much his entire life, too. So as I sat beside him in the hospital, looking at what health neglect can do to a person, I panicked. My dad didn't weigh much more than I did (and with our difference in height, our BMIs probably were about the same anyhow). So, I was practically looking at myself sooner rather than later. Not only did I not want to have a stroke and struggle with having to relearn basic things, but I also did not want to put my family through that ordeal either. It's too hard. And for what? Because I like the way food tastes? No way. Not anymore. I might have to struggle a little now, but the outcome will be so worth it. So that helped me determine very quickly that, regardless of the pain, nausea, Constipation, headaches, food longings, changes in tastes, flabby skin, people talking behind my back and so forth, I needed this surgery. And that was the end of that.

@@Boise Your surgery is coming up on the 21st, right? I think it might be presumptuous to think you might be posting that day for the rest of us who have surgery the following day, but we'll catch up with you after our surgeries. And I believe @@crazzeescrapper , @ImaFox , and @@Dulce_jtrivera finish up our little group with surgeries later in the month. How is everyone doing so far?

@@tfowler Thank you for checking in with everyone! I am doing good. I am not hungry and this is day two for me on the preop diet, since I started a day early. I did want my normal cracker break yesterday when 3pm hit, but I drank a Protein shake that I brought from home. So far today, I am not missing anything. I am just ready for my date to be here! It's like a kid waiting for christmas or their birthday. The days go by slowly, but I know it will be here before I know it! And you have only 5 days!! It's so close... I know you have to be so happy!

I have not really had a dream about food, but I am craving things that are out of the ordinary. Like popcorn. I hardly ever eat popcorn, but for the past week I have been dying for some popcorn. And chocolate covered pretzels. I use to get them as a kid when my grandma would take me to the grocery store with her. Haven't had them in years. Now I want some.. completely crazy. Maybe it's my subconscious telling me that I need to eat these things, because what if I will never be able to have them again... who knows.

I have had two dreams about ice cream. My younger daughter works at an ice cream shop and comes home covered in various flavors and occassionally bringing them home and stashing them in the freezer. I think that May be a contributing factor.

I'm getting a little nervous but I am determined not to get myself worked up enough to cancel my surgery. I know this is the right choice for my health so I'll work through the nerves.

The 21st is fast approaching and I am eagerly awaiting the call from the hospital to let me know what time on Monday to be there.

@@tfowler I will do my best to post as quickly as I can an update after surgery. I guess it all depends on what time the procedure actually happens. I have to say at this point I am getting a little anxious and I can't focus on anything. Today is my last day at work for 2 weeks and I can't even get my calculations together.

I am definitely not looking forward to all Clear Liquids and the cleanse on Sunda. I just got used to the vanilla Protein with some chocolate oh its so good!

@@dawnnae123 I'm in Texas. Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

@@Boise Please take care of yourself first before you even think about posting on here! lol. I know what you mean, though, about not being able to concentrate. I'm just trying to keep myself busy in the meantime. What do you do for a living? And you have to be on Clear liquids before surgery and do a cleanse? That stinks! But then maybe you won't suffer so much with Constipation on the other side.

@@tfowler I am a property manager and one who is ready for her 2 weeks off lol. Yes I have to have all Clear Liquids starting midnight Saturday up until the surgery Monday. And have to drink the cleanse on Sunday morning. Your right thinking about it that really does stink. Are you not on clear liquids?

I just got the call and I have to be there at 6:45 Monday morning. The surgery should start at 8:45. I am the first one scheduled! Aaahhh!

Hopefully this means I'll be up and trying to walk by the afternoon. I am guessing this depends on how smooth the procedure is and how my body takes to it.

Omg! I can't believe it's that time after all this preparation!

@@Boise Congratulations on your surgery time! Positive thoughts for a good recovery!

No, I just have to continue my liquid diet until Tuesday. I've been on it for over two weeks, but I think if I had to do a weekend of clear liquids, I could manage that.

Yeah, I can imagine that being a property manager would be pretty stressful. I wish you were taking the two weeks to do something fun, but this will eventually turn out fun!

@@tfowler all in time we will all be having great fun shedding the pounds!

Good luck to everyone! It seemed like the day would never get here, but now it's less than a week away. I'm ready to take my seat on the loser bench with the rest of you. :)

I just keep thinking..."This is the last weekend that I will be this weight." It's all DOWNhill from now on ( on the scale that is).

Tuesday is my day. I hope to Celebrate my "surgiversary" every July 22nd doing something that I couldn't/wouldn't do as an obese person.

I can't believe the day is almost here. This is a crazy, emotional journey! And it's only just the beginning.

Best of luck & wishes for a quick recovery for all!

I just keep thinking..."This is the last weekend that I will be this weight." It's all DOWNhill from now on ( on the scale that is). Tuesday is my day. I hope to Celebrate my "surgiversary" every July 22nd doing something that I couldn't/wouldn't do as an obese person. I can't believe the day is almost here. This is a crazy, emotional journey! And it's only just the beginning. Best of luck & wishes for a quick recovery for all!

I think I'm going to steal your idea to do something every year on the surgiversay that I wouldn't have done, love it!

So apparently I thought being there at 645 made me first. I just got another call and now I have to be there at 5:30 am. Wow! Ok this is all getting so real and I have to clean and pack my bag.

So excited for you, @@Boise ! I have to be at the hospital on Tuesday at 4:30 AM, and I'm not even first.

And, yes, I might steal your idea, too, @@GingerSlim , except that it will have to be something pretty big. I plan on doing things that I couldn't do because of my weight as soon as I can do them.