Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Incorporating "real" foods

Anyone have suggestions on real foods that don't make you feel like you've eat a pile of rocks? I'm about 3 months post op and down 45 lbs. I'm trying to eat real foods again but everything feels so heavy in my stomach. I'm currently on a business trip and basically haven't eaten in four days because I can't tolerate more then four bites of anything.

Basically I just need someone to tell me it does get easier and it wasn't all a big mistake lol

I can't tell you it gets easier because I'm not there yet...just starting. But I can say remember why you wanted to do this in the first place and maybe things will settle for you when you get home...not much help I know...but I wanted you to know someone cares....hang in there! Beth

Big mistake? Hell no! I'm fairly confident it was a tough decision and wasn't made lightly or in haste.

As for tolerable foods? Everyone is different, you just have to experiment and find what works for you. I can eat almost everything, but for some weird reason, still have a tough time with canned tuna fish!? :huh: I can eat steak, chicken, fresh tuna steaks, roast, crawfish, ribs, etc., etc....but canned tuna just doesn't sit well w/me. No worries, I can live without it! :PAs I'm sure you've heard many times, get your Protein in first and don't save the best bites for last, as you probably won't have room for them! :lol:

I was sleeved May 8, 2013 and my wife July 8, 2013. While my surgery and recovery were textbook, hers was a bit more challenging. She had two hernias repaired and it took about 3-4 weeks for her to quit complaining...uh-hm, I mean start to feel better! :D

Now, that period of time is a distant memory! I am down 119 lbs. and hit my original goal around 5 months ago.

My wife is down 80 lbs. and hit her goal about 3 months ago (She looks fantastic, but she's on a mission to lose more...I told her not to get carried away, I don't want to feel like I'm hugging a sack of hammer handles!).

Whatever you do, don't (DO NOT!) let the number on the scale dictate your feeling of success or failure! If you feel better, you are more active and you have a better quality of life, to hell with what the number is on a scale! :lol:

You're in for one heck of a journey...hang in there, I promise it wasn't a mistake! ;)

So what things have you tried that sit OK? What things feel like a rock? How much of each? Do you chew every bite at least 20 times? Have you talked to your surgeon about your issues? (That should have been my first question)

At three months, I still needed a Protein drink when traveling to get all my Protein in. Greek Yogurt was my fav protein food early out, followed by low fat cheese, soft chicken, fish, and ground beef dishes.

I traveled with a blender ball cup, vanilla Protein powder and starbucks Decaf instant coffee. I mixed the instant coffee, Water, and the Protein Powder for a drink that tastes like a latte. I preferred mine room temp, but also good cold by adding some ice after it's blended.

It does get better. You are still healing at three months. Be easy on yourself.

Lynda

Fantastic reply 'Who Dat' and you are so correct in saying not to worry about the number on scales. I don't have a particular goal weight in mind I just think I will know when I am there. Currently lost 77 lbs, maybe like to loose another 20-30 lbs but not loosing sleep if I don't :) Hang in there Gabby I had the worst 3-4 mths post op but now at 5.5 mths things are a lot easier, it really does take time to adjust both physically and mentally..... But if I could do it so can YOU :)

I'm just over 3 months myself. I am losing better if I get just over 800 calories than less. I totally agree on the Protein drink most days, if not for Breakfast I have a Medifast brand Cappuccino or. shake as an afternoon snack. I like cottage cheese with a touch of fruit or Greek yogurt. On the go, I like Oscar Mayer P3 Snacks, handy and tasty. Lots of my breakfasts have been cheese stick rolled up in deli meat. I know you don't like rocks, but I like almonds as a snack. I've counted 16 into snack bags and keep them everywhere, car, office and purse. They are my goto when tempted with other goodies.

It's strange but I really like eating from small plates and bowls. I can't eat much, but I'm happier when I have a full small plate than an empty large plate. It's hard to waste food, but that's just part of life on the road. Good luck, and I know it will get better!!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. Today is already feeling like it's going to be a good day :)