Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op 2 months and still don't eat much

I am 2 months post op, and on regular food. The Doctor and Nutritionist say I should be eating close to a cup of food at each meal ( 3x a day) and one small snack. I can only eat about an 1/4 of a cup for Breakfast, 1/2 to little over a half at lunch and not quite a half at dinner, no snack. Has anyone else had this problem?

A CUP of food? Good grief! I'm almost six weeks out, and I'm lucky to hit a quarter-cup at a meal (although I generally have something small mid-afternoon to hit my protein). My NUT mentioned that according to our plan, we should eat up to a cup of food at between six months to a year out (she also said that's a maximum, not a suggested amount.)

Are you hitting your numbers otherwise? Protein and hydration amounts? If you're getting those in, I wouldn't worry about striving to eat more than you're comfortable eating. When in doubt, let your NUT know that that's all you can manage to get in. I can't imagine they would want you to force yourself to eat more.

1 cup of food?! That makes my sleeve hurt just thinking about trying to get that in, no way! I am 9 weeks out and there is no way I could get 1 cup in unless it's liquid or my Protein shake. food wise I can usually get 1/4-1/2 c depending how dense it is and I'm still only able to get 3oz (tops) of chicken.

I don't focus on quantities as much, I try to focus more on food quality of what I actually get in and that I'm hitting my Protein and Water intake requirements. I rarely hit my minimum calories (800-1000) but slowly have been able to work up to it.

I'm 6 months out and couldn't eat a cup of food! Maybe I could squeeze down a cup of yogurt, but I wouldn't be comfortable. Up until 3 months, a 1/4 cup is all I could handle MAX. After 4 months I've gradually been able to eat more at one sitting, but 1/2 - 3/4 cup is still all it takes until I'm satisfied. I eat when I'm hungry.. Usually 5-6 times/day and I never overeat. No set schedule, no tracking, no counting. Just Protein first and a good balance of veggies, fruit and whole grains. I Wait at least 45 -60 minutes (basically until I don't feel the food in my tummy anymore) and then start drinking Water, juice, coffee or a Protein Shake until it's time to eat again. Personally, I think the doctors and nuts make this whole thing way too complicated with their rules and numbers.

I'm 5 weeks post op and there's no way I can come close to eating a cup of good 3x/day. I do good to get about 1/3 cup down per meal and my NUT and Dr said that about 1/3 cup is all I need if I'm eating right.

Ditto what all have said... I am seven months out and can't eat a cup of food except maybe a cup of loosely packed iceberg lettuce!

Ditto what all have said... I am seven months out and can't eat a cup of food except maybe a cup of loosely packed iceberg lettuce!

@@jess9395 i measure my food and thats what I measure my salad at 1 cup....i dnt even eat all the salad because im full!! Usually 3-4 bites of something and Im done

I was told the eventually my sleeve would expand to 8 to 12 oz. So getting a full 8 oz cup in is going to be seriously challenging for at least a few years if it it ever happens. If you can throw down a full cup then it would have to be getting pushed down by liquids.

Ask you NUT again. Its possible there was some confusion.