Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/weight-loss-surgery-nutrition-and-hair-loss

Found this link to be interesting it's about a study done on hair loss with surgery . Got the results back on my Vitamins they are all normal so I'm hoping mine won't be that bad. I've come to terms that there is nothing I can do but deal with it and hope it will pass quickly

Hsirloss is very common and very normal.. almost a given fact with WLS. Just keep in mind that no one has gone bald from WLS so that's a good thing. The whole site is full of a gazillion remedies and it's a hit and miss as to what actually helps for Hair loss.

I'm 3 weeks out and had some thinning in the front to begin with. After the surgery I noticed some more coming out. My RD pre surgery warned me of hair loss in the 3rd to 6th month if I did not faithfully consume 60 to 80 grams of Protein per day. Its about nutrition! I have been eating a serving of Jello daily ( I mix one box sugar free and one box unflavored ). Just started taking Biotin, collagen and using Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner system . Hoping I wont have to deal with it too much

I exceeded my Protein goal every day (75+) starting the second day after surgery and I still had massive Hair loss. My surgeon & dieticians all say that it has to do with the shock of surgery & anesthesia and it's wrong to blame the patient for not getting enough protein, not taking the right Vitamins, or not using the right Shampoo. It will either happen or it won't, and there isn't anything you can do to prevent it.

Whoa! Back off sister. I was not blaming any patient!! I just shared what my RD told me and what I was doing to to try and prevent it. There is no guarantee that it won't happen to me and it is something that I can and do empathize with for anyone.

depizzi I think you took this the wrong way and responded not so nicely. We are all here to share what we have been told and what we learned, That is all Bufflehead was doing. Lets always be respectful.

I started losing my hair as soon as I hit 3 months. It came out in huge clumps when I washed it and flew off my head when I brushed my hair. I had already read all the sites on here so I pretty much knew it was going to happen and that I had to deal with it. I went out and bought a blonde wig about the same color as my hair so I had something to fall back on. I increased my fish and red meat consumption and increased my olive oil on salads. I take the Biotin as a precaution so I don't know if it really works or not. I haven't noticed any extra Hair growth on my legs or other areas so maybe it doesn't help at all, who knows. Hair loss continues a bit but has slowed down a lot. I am contributing it to the increased meat and the fact that I have quit stressing about it. I read the book the Alchemist and decided to live in the moment because pretty soon the hair loss will just be a memory. The stress does more damage than anything else. What will be will be so move on and address the things you do have control over. Little hair or no hair....we're all thinner and healthier. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

So for the past three months (I'm 6 months post op) I have been losing hair like crazy. I was taking a shower and wringed out my hair and a huge wad of hair was pulled out (looked like a mini poodle) lol. I have a lot of hair, very thick and heavy. Now I see some bald/thinning out spots. I take Biotin and use Biotin Shampoo. I read that I will eventually go away but I wanted to dye and cut my hair before August. Would it be safe to do it? I don't like losing this much hair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I would suggest a product called Manetabolism. I have been losing my hair because of thyroid issues. It works sooner than you expect it to by slowing down the loss first and then building up the strength of what you have and starting the growth process. Its created by a couple in the medical field she is a nurse and he is a doctor.

Hope this helps.

Been there! About 3 months post op I began loosing fist fulls of hair. Bald spots and all. I had very thick, long hair. I was devastated. Even at my heaviest people would always comment on my hair. I had it cut into a jaw length bob -- started taking 5000 Biotin, zinc, Vitamin D, and really made sure I was getting the 90 grams of Protein the surgeon suggested.

Its taken almost a year but my hair is coming back... it looks funny because the longer hair is a lot thinner and the new growth is VERY curly, shorter and thicker. Hot mess that I am -- just happy its coming back in. Hang in there... your hair dresser is your friend. Be honest and they will help you through this.