Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fecal Blockage- Warning: TMI Subject

Hi all.

I'm approximately 8 weeks out, and I just spent the past two days suffering from severe Constipation that resulted in fecal blockage. The first day of constipation wasn't too bad, so I figured two MOM capsules at bedtime would do the trick. Nope, woke up the next morning still constipated, so I took two more capsules and a dose of Miralax, followed by two more capsules in the late afternoon. By that time I noticed that it felt like I had some blockage going on. I suffered through the night, waking up, trying to go, and in so much pain I was crying out (horrible pain, bleeding, cramping, and even to the point that I couldn't urinate). This morning I called the advice nurse and was told to try an enema before coming in. I did, which was also horribly painful, since I was already so sore, but it finally did the trick and prevented a trip to the ER. I'm sitting here now, still very sore, but feeling so much better. So, how do I prevent this from happening again? I get my 64 oz per day, exercise every day, eat (some) veggies, take a Gummy Fiber supplement (which I don't think is doing anything), etc. My plan is to start taking a 1/2 dose of Miralax every morning, add in some Chia or flax seeds, and make sure my 64 oz comes from plain Water (I've been counting tea and my Protein shake as part of it). Any other advice? I don't EVER want to go through this pain again - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, and I have a pretty high pain tolerance. I know this subject has been discussed before, but a revisit is always good!

Any other advice?

Thanks! And sorry for the TMI, but I think it's important for others who may eventually experience this.

Wow, I am SO sorry you had to endure that! I had Constipation issues too, not uncommon but not to the degree of yours. I didn't think I'd ever be regular again. Things finally improved about 4 months out when I was able to eat a whole Quest bar at a time. The Fiber in those enabled me to quit the Miralax all together. I only eat about 2 - 3 a week and it does the trick. It just takes the body a while to regulate. About the time I could eat an entire Quest bar I was getting more of my Protein from food and had cut back my shakes by a few a week. I think the shakes contribute to constipation as well.

Good luck!

Constipation was far and away my biggest challenge. I have never cried over poop before! Once I finally got the relief, I used Miralax in my Protein shakes. I use injury so I always blended them. If not in a shake in my yogurt. Once you are several months out as you introduce veggies back into your diet things will be much more normal.

Keep up the miralax, it won't hurt for you to at all.

i am a former LLL leader (breastfeeding support) and this kind of thing isnt all that uncommon with postpartum moms. (for all kinds of reasons)

my recommendation is the same.. the problem with most fiber supplements is they require EXTRA Water to actually help. if you dont drink extra Water, they can make you worse! so focus on fiber that doesnt require extra fluids; oatmeal, sweet potatoes, apples, lentils. take Probiotics. yogurt and kefir is best, but some prefer a supplement. as much Fluid as you can get in. i take a "konjac" root supplement. its a fiber supplement from a plant that doesnt require extra fluids to work. (i take 2-3 capsules a day)

this will be something you need to learn to manage the rest of your life, so stay away from taking any laxatives daily, ad that can make you dependent on them to go.

it took me a while to figure it out, one thing i learned.. better to prevent than have to treat.

I was in a "bind" last week so I drank a few ounces of citrate of magnesium chased by a glass of Water and an hour later....all was well. WHEW! I fear the Constipation thing as I have only been in a bad way once and that was enough! I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it. I look forward to the time when I have enough room for veggies so I don't have to worry about such things! Good luck!

Sorry you had to go through this problem of Constipation but these kind of conditions are not uncommon after the surgery.This is so as you are not eating to your full and your diet is restricted.With time you will adjust and the condition will improve as you introduce more Fiber into your diet.Also try and drink enough Water which helps regulate the body functions and relieve constipation.