Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band keeps getting tighter

So my band keeps getting tighter. I have had 2 unfills in a row and I am slightly confused and wondering if this has happened to others. The last unfill was today and it was after a month and a half. For the last month and a half I have been fine, still a little restricted but able to eat mostly anything in 1/2 cup to a cup portions. 3 weeks ago I traveled oversees for work and was there for almost 2 weeks. I was a little worried about that because flying generally makes my band a bit tighter but I had no tightness issues (meaning it was no tighter than normal). I have been back for a week and 3 days and I was just fine (my band was slightly tighter but still nothing unusual after flying) until yesterday. Yesterday I had trouble keeping Water down and was finally able to have some last night with a cup of beef broth. I thought maybe it was loosening up but this morning I ended up throwing up the Water I had to take my thyroid pill with and haven’t been able to keep anything down. I called my doctors office and they had me come in immediately for an unfill. I absolutely love my doctor and his staff btw. So I got an unfill and can now drink water again and will try Soup in an hour or two. So my question is for those that are on here has anyone else experienced something like this? Oh I should mention my doctor did x-rays last time and the band was in perfect placement and there was no slippage. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

@@mm1315 I have had issues not from travel but days where my band is tighter then others. I think that is something that is "normal" for me anyway. I have days where I am retaining Water and my hands can be swollen and then others when my rings are flying off my fingers, and it seems my band like my wedding band seems to be the same way.

I have never had a point where I could not keep down Water though, I make sure it's a comfortable level enough to allow for those "bloated" days that seem to come out of no where. I find it has a lot to do with the weather for me. I must be made of wood or something :)

I have been monitoring what makes my band tighter, to find that optimal level for me that works without making me too tight or too loose. So many things affect it, not just the weather but what I eat and drink, what type of exercise I do and if I take certain medications.

I think things like Advil though it's supposed to be anti- inflammatory actually irritate the stomach a bit and make it swell so the band is tighter. If I have salt obviously that makes the rest of me bloated though doesn't affect my band as much as lettuce and roughage do. If I lift weights my band is good if I do lots of aerobic activity dancing, zumba etc. my band is tighter.

Flying hasn't proven to be an impact on my band but I have yet to fly international or for longer then 6 hours :)

Thank you so much for the feedback. Sometimes I think I am crazy because its not tight then it is and even though I am 7 months in I am still learing all the ins and outs. I really appreciate knowing that things like this are normal.

Edited by mm1315

Have you taken any medications that you didn't take before? Anything like an NSAID (ibuprophen) or Prednisone? Or, are you congested with any post-nasal drip, which could be reducing the size of the stoma?

All these tighten my band.

Last November, I was rushed to the ER for dehydration due to my Lap Band tightening. Like you I could not hold down Water but it took me a little longer to figure it was because of the band. Long story short, changes to my hormones/stress caused my band to tighten. I didn't know it was possible....I have since been unfilled (too much) and gained 20 pounds. I am thinking about getting refilled but I am afraid of getting close to the point of where it will over tighten again.

Yep, happened to me too! Had to have an unfill in March due to not being able to hold down fluids. I was soooo scared thinking it was slippage, erosion or something even more awful! But my doctor did an X-ray and said all is fine except band is a bit tight. He took some out and I was fine for about a month and a half. Then, I started getting stuck again. Now I'm to the point that I can't even drink anything till noon. So, going back in for another slight unfill.

I have noticed several things that make me tighter than usual....stress, being sick, change in weather (heat, usually humid heat). Try sipping a hot drink, as hot as you Can handle...small sips.

Thanks for this post . Like you I noticed the past few weeks my band is tighter. Had a check up last week with xray and everything was fine no slippage but after a not so great eating weekend nothing wanted to stay down :( lots of pb and some throwing up in going in Thursday for a slight unfill I'm a nervous about it but I will do nothing to cause band complications so in I go and will continue to eat right and work out. I'm just afraid of being stuck on my vacation. Not that I plan on over eating or things I know I can't handle but this past week even my healthy go to foods have been iffy. So perhaps a slight unfill is what I need although I haven't gotten a fill in a few months but maybe it's the weather or sine stress I'm under. I will continue to monitor my band and weightloss with my dr :)

Thanks for this post . Like you I noticed the past few weeks my band is tighter. Had a check up last week with xray and everything was fine no slippage but after a not so great eating weekend nothing wanted to stay down :( lots of pb and some throwing up in going in Thursday for a slight unfill I'm a nervous about it but I will do nothing to cause band complications so in I go and will continue to eat right and work out. I'm just afraid of being stuck on my vacation. Not that I plan on over eating or things I know I can't handle but this past week even my healthy go to foods have been iffy. So perhaps a slight unfill is what I need although I haven't gotten a fill in a few months but maybe it's the weather or sine stress I'm under. I will continue to monitor my band and weightloss with my dr :)

Hi ready

I was feeling the same with my band , i have my first fill in may and I was feeling fine until a few days ago my morning coffe was not going dawn and I have difficulties when eating and I was getting stock a lot , I called my doctor and he said it is normal that my band is tight in the morning , he said most people start eating at noon , now I really learn how to eat an I am really chewing my food very small pieces and take my time to finish my food ,now I know my band is there and I am understanding better how it work good luck .

Hi ready

I was feeling the same with my band , i have my first fill in may and I was feeling fine until a few days ago my morning coffe was not going dawn and I have difficulties when eating and I was getting stock a lot , I called my doctor and he said it is normal that my band is tight in the morning , he said most people start eating at noon , now I really learn how to eat an I am really chewing my food very small pieces and take my time to finish my food ,now I know my band is there and I am understanding better how it work good luck .

Yes my band is not a morining person like me lol. I start my day with hot Water and my first meal is a Protein shake and then I can consume solid food a few hours later. Im good with that but even with that being said I was having issues. I saw the dr today apparently the humidity affects the band not just causing me bad hair days lol. SO he took .3 out today and I can feel the difference I think his is my true green zone and maybe I was to tight before but I guess you learn as you go. I Will continue my life style healthy choices hitting the gym and keeping my regular appointments with my dr. I still have a bit to go till Ihit my goal and I would like to hit when my body is ready to hit it. However I plan on reconstructive surgery in two years so I'm in no rush but Im in a rush lol