Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay Peeps - Anyone elect to sign up for BLISS?

BLISS is a "surgery insurance" my surgeon is offering - but not pushing by any means. It will cover any additional surgery if there are complications. I can elect for coverage for 30, 90 or 180 days - each amount of time is a different price. I was wondering for those of you who are self pay, did you or would you elect for this coverage? And if so, how much time would you elect to have it for?

What are the costs?

Edited by Pookeyism

My surgeon requires this insurance for self-pay patients. Since my insurance probably wouldn't cover follow-up surgery due to a leak or other problem, it just makes sense to protect my family from massive bills if I have a complication. Even if my surgeon didn't charge me for surgery to fix a problem, the hospital and anesthesiologist sure would.

I'm still waiting to see the costs associated with it, but I understand the basic plan is about 2000. I'm not sure if that's 30 or 60 days.

$1,070 for the 30 day coverage... $1225 for 90 day and $1396 for 180 days. I've heard MOST (not all) complications, if they are going to happen, happen in the first 90 days. Not sure of the accuracy of that.

5BeautifulDays that is what I was thinking too... I was just curious to get thoughts before I write the big check and clear out my savings :)

Bliss was included in my self pay package price by my surgeon. I would recommend it. There is the possibility for a leak and better to have the coverage if, God forbid, that happens to you.

Did either of you ladies have an option to choose a length of time or was a time limit selected for you? Either way, how long was it? Sorry for the 50 questions :) I appreciate your feedback!

I was self pay and never even was offered bliss . I think it's probably worth it to go for the longest time since it seems more cost effective if you can swing it. I'm a month out no complications knock on wood!

I was self pay and my surgeon included the 90 day leak and infection policy. I was given the option to add longer timeframes and other coverages but they were expensive and I opted to not add extra.

Oh, another thing... The BLIS rep called me before my surgery to verify if I wanted additional policies. They are very selective about what surgeons they will even offer coverage to. It is more an insurance policy on the surgeon than yourself. They are offering the insurance because your surgeon has a proven track record that says there is little chance they will have to pay out. Still, it did reassure me that I had the policy.

I had to change surgeons because I am self-pay. The surgeon I had started with is a general surgeon who does other colo-rectal and oncological surgeries, but he has never had a self-pay bariatric patient. So his colleague who is associated with BLIS will do my surgery instead. So I guess it is like the doctor is insured as much as the patient.

Thank you all! Sleeveless in seattle, I did research to learn that it's a GOOD thing if my Dr is able to offer the BLIS. So like you've said, only those with a good track record can even offer it. I've decided to go with the 90 day. May hurt my pockets a little now but it's definately better than a lot later!

Thank you all! Sleeveless in seattle, I did research to learn that it's a GOOD thing if my Dr is able to offer the BLIS. So like you've said, only those with a good track record can even offer it. I've decided to go with the 90 day. May hurt my pockets a little now but it's definately better than a lot later!

I had the 90 day as well. You would know early on if there were complications so no need to go longer.

I had surgery in April and had the BLISS insurance added. I was really off and on about it. I could have had my surgery in an out patient facility, but BLISS only covers if surgery is at the hospital. I guess it depends on if you're a gambling person. You just never know if you will be the one with complications.

Only the Hernia repair portion of my surgery was covered by insurance. My DR. includes 90 days of insurance on the self pay portion.