Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off work-did you need more or less

I am going back to work on monday, I took 4 weeks off and I am mentally preparing myself for my return. I do have a demanding job and travel a lot so today I am going out to buy little baggies for my supplements, a cool box for my Water and food.< /p>

Then I am going to pray that it is a quiet week especially as it is only a four day week

I had my surgery on 5/28 - 4 weeks ago today and I went back to work on June 9th. I have a desk job and even worked from home the 6/2 thru 6/6 - just got tired of sitting on my butt or in bed so I couldn't have taken more time off without the risk of losing my mind. I am one of the lucky ones whose surgery was with no problems so for that I am very thankful. Can't believe it has already been 4 weeks!!

I has surgery on Thursday went back to work on Monday.

I had surgery on June 5th. Supposed to be in 2 days but stayed for 3 days. The doctor told me 4 weeks time off. I am able to take all 4, so I am! I have no pain after 2 weeks. The next 2 weeks are what I call no stress weeks. : ) Everyone's body is different.

I am taking 3 weeks and I also had a hiatial hernia repair. I agree, I don't know how people do it after just 1 week, and I am post op two weeks today, and I am glad I am going back after 3 weeks as I am at the mushy stage and it is very different than all liquids. Had zero issues with the all liquids, but wow do I feel the difference now, hard to get your energy up when you can't get all the required Protein in due to moving to 1 soft meal per day. I think today I will only do shakes and fluids just to recapture some energy. This is still the best decision I have made for myself. And I feel I need the extra week to square away my addition of 1 soft meal per day.

Well its entirely up to the individual but I would not take the chance, EVEN if I was feeling well.

I was tired but yeah I am sure I could have went to work after a week but...............

Too many complications can happen.

One thing I was absolutely positive about................I did not want to crap my pants at work accidently!!

IT was better to make sure that I understood all the warning signs that my tummy was giving me after eating, drinking and starting my mushfood. Everything is different.

OH and I couldnt not go back to work within a week because my dr had to release me. He would not release me until he saw me. And my first apt was like ten days after my surgery

I understand wanting or needing to get back to work earlier rather than later -- I had planned 1 week off, then return working from home a couple of days and then in the office. I got readmitted to the hospital for pneumonia and that set me back at least a week.

You may think you'll tough it out and return very soon but you are having surgery, there can be complications and you may need more time. Plan for the best scenario but have a backup in case you need more time.

And, if you work for a larger company, see if they have a nursing mother's room where you can schedule a little 30 minute nap. It really has helped me make it through the days I've gone into the office. My boss is completely supportive of me taking that break -- better than not having me there at all.

I needed less. I was the first patient in on a Monday morning, released from the hospital a day early the next day and was back at work the middle of the next week, (several days early). I never experienced extreme fatigue. A little tired for the first week, but then it was pretty much business as usual. I was very lucky. Not everyone has that experience, and it's hard to predict who will have a hard time and who won't. My advice is plan for the worst and hope for the best. If your workplace will work with you to come back early if you feel great, plan for at least 2 weeks off, be a complaint patient as far as hydration, Vitamins and walking goes, and hope to be able to get back early to preserve what's left of your PTO.

I only took one week off. It was rough! Two weeks would of been enough. I too, ended up with pneumonia after three weeks. It wiped me out! I am 4 weeks out and still week from the bronchial pneumonia.

So I tried to go back today a week after surgery. I made it a few hours and my boss sent e home. I'm sore, and wrk out. So I'm staying home tomorrow and will go back in Monday. Took my by surprise as I was feeling goof but man even with a desk job I was up and down and walking a lot.

I'm getting about a week and half post procedure so if I'm not up to returning, it simply cannot matter -- I have to be there or I won't have a job (and I work for a hospital). Thankfully I am now in a desk job and not in the clinical setting.

i have a very physical, busy nursing job and was told to plan for 4 wks off. going into surgery i was thinking "oh, i'll be ready after 2"...right now i'm post op 3 days and seriously already having anxiety about HOW am I going to be ready to go back in 3???

it's much more physically exhausting on the body than i thought it would be. several incisions to watch, a drain to manage, Protein and Water to count...ugh.

on the flip side, by the time i DO go back at week 4, i will be on phase 3 eating and will likely not be having too many issues anymore.

I took about 1 week off, I was fine but I have a high pain tolerance. Never really got overly fatigued. I have a moderately physical/walking job. It did help me get my butt into a routine fast. Hardest part was getting my fluids/protein in, I did struggle there. If you have the ability to take ore time do it I say. I just was greedy and didn't want to use all my vacation time on sick leave.

I had 3 weeks prior to returning to school. I thought I needed more because it took at least 2 weeks to not hurt. Then if there had been more time I could of gotten the food phases down a lot better. Here I am going on my 6th week post op and haveing a hell of a time during the day to regulate food intake, not feel sick and not be sick. There's a lot to get used to thats for sure. I thought changing my diet and mind a year ago was good, but now it's like I have to change again.....Long road, good outcome!!!