Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off work-did you need more or less

Thankfully I work in a very well air conditioned building, I am always the cold one! At work I am only outside twice a day- when I get to work and when I leave work.

I am not going to cancel surgery just because I can only take a week off, besides I would surely go stir crazy having 2 weeks off.

Well I hope it works out for you. As you know this is MAJOR surgery and not to be taken lightly. I know that my dr even went as far to say no driving if you are taking painkillers and anti-naustia medicine.

All I am saying, is better to be safe than sorry.

I did fine and probably could have came back to work after a week but who knows? I know people who have had issues and have taken off anywhere between 2 - 8 weeks. Everybody is different.

If I feel I need more, I will take more but the longer I take off the worse my work would pile up. I have a desk job and no one will be doing my work while I am out. I can always go home for a long lunch.< /p>

If I feel I need more, I will take more but the longer I take off the worse my work would pile up. I have a desk job and no one will be doing my work while I am out. I can always go home for a long lunch.

You don't have to justify yourself. I took a week and was fine. I'm glad I made myself move around and get going. If you don't feel right, then maybe rethink it but you should not feel any way about your decision b/c others made a different one. I honestly have no idea what I would have done with two weeks off...I was not tired or weak, I was ready to walk and make this surgery work.

I am a nurse that works in acute care. Physically demanding, high output job. I had no problems getting the correct amount of Protein or fluids. I went back to work on day 11 and the only problems were the 'formula'. I struggle during work days to get my Vitamins, fluids and Protein. It is a matter of organization for me. Physically I had no difficulties I find myself weaker than normal. Normally I have freakishly strong nursing hands, but I find I cannot open packages like I used to...sleeved May 19th and on a stage 3 eating plan by the time I started back to work.

Own my own business so went back to work in 3 days. First 2 days worked 1/2 days. After that felt pretty good. I am at 4 weeks today and am feeling kinda tired the last few days. It is hot here think I need to drink more. Other than that everything went great!

I telecommute full time...I was operated on Thursday and went back to work half days the following week. (No one at work even knew I had surgery.)

Had I had to go to an office, I would have taken 2 weeks off.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my surgery. There is no way I can go back to work yet. I do have a lot more stamina now than last week, but now having stomach problems (constant nausea, diarrhea) and I have to make myself eat and drink, but know I am not getting all my Protein or liquids in. If I go to work now, I would not be able to effectively do my job or feel like it.

I think it depends on what you do for a living. As an engineer, a week was plenty. Lifting, twisting and bending over will get your attention for about 3 weeks. My energy level has never been that low. I did squeeze in a few naps in thew first couple of weeks, but could easly handle an 8 hour day. The biggest problem I have it is gout from rapid weight loss. I have had it for over a week and it makes going to work painful.

I have worked my entire life, even when I was a kid, I found odd jobs to do: a paper route, picking fruits and vegetables at a farm in the summer... I was raised that way. Through the births of my children, I was back to work quickly. I also have a developmentally disabled adult child to care for, and although she is in an adult residential program, she comes home frequently and I am involved in her care. I have relocated to other states four times in my career, and work long hours in a demanding job that I love, but it is stressful. I also take two classes a term on top of that to keep my skills up. As you can see, I have driven myself for a long time and take pride in my work ethic. I am also almost 56 years old. So , all that being said.....

I decided to take the advice of my surgeon who wants me off for 6 weeks. To take the time to take care of myself and use the time to heal and truly rest and get used to my new smaller stomach and digestive issues. I decided to be kind to myself and take the time I need to take care of me. So much of my life has been about taking care of others and getting things done (all of which I loved doing). But there comes a time when I knew I needed to truly rest and take care of myself for perhaps really the first time in my life. Perhaps the lack of making self-care a priority is part of the reason I got so overweight (I think so).

In other words, learning healthy self-care and compassion for what my body may need to fully recover, seems wise to me. Sure, it's hard, I think about work and all I need to do. But this is all part of learning a new lifestyle for myself. I also am very fortunate that my wonderful company pays 100% of my salary for the first 6 weeks, so that makes it easier perhaps than some others to do this.

And one last thing -- several WLS speakers came to the classes that we were required to take prior to surgery, who gave their testimony that they fought their doctors on returning to work too early (in a week or two). Both ended up having complications that set them back. For me, I'd rather get solid first, and then go back and stay back.

Just my thoughts - everyone is different!

Patrice

Edited by patrice1

I go back on Thursday and tomorrow is a week since my surgery. My dr did give me time for 4 weeks but I have a desk job and can work from home so I'm only taking a week off. Plus if people want to be paid next week I kinda need to go back as I'm the primary payroll processor.

Everyone is going to be different but maybe start off with so many weeks and if you feel better sooner then try to go back earlier.

Edited by stacielynntate

I was out for four weeks, due to the physical demands of my job. Honestly, I felt fine after 1 1/2-2 weeks, and would have gone back if my surgeon would have okayed it. But, that said, I enjoyed my four week vacation immensely!

I have a desk job and two weeks was perfect for me. I was tired and only worked eight hours a day for the next two weeks (I told my boss that in advance). I usually work around 10 hours a day or more, so that was a change.