Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK so every time I look for support and share pics and goals I get"no offense but you're not big enough for surgery" or something of that nature. Making me feel like I don't belong or that I'm making a mistake with wls. I went from 218lbs to 140ish to 170 to 211lbs and about 15 years ago was the last time I saw a size 6. I have an unhealthy bmi, had to have my gallbladder out and have problems with my feet. No I don't have blood pressure problems, I'm not diabetic, nor am I 300lbs plus. Do I really need to wait for all of that to happen in order to qualify in some people's eyes to do something about it? So many people on here say their only regret is that they didn't do this sooner before all these health issues arose and yet come down on me for actually not waiting for it to be that far along. In my opinion, we're all in the same boat. Doesn't matter if you're 500 lbs or 200 lbs. If you're at an unhealthy bmi and miserable and need this to be healthy and to help you get and stay on track then we are all the same. I would never go on to someone's post who was heavier than me and say something like"how could you wait till it got this bad" and I feel like that's what they are saying to me in reverse when they come on and challenge my reasons for needing and wanting this procedure. I'm sorry, but my feelings are hurt and I feel like I'm alone in this at times because I'm not as big as some feel I should be to consider this. I've lost and re gained 70- 95lbs on the average over the past 15 years or so. I'm good with my decision even if no one else is. I'm going to be successful and maintain a healthy lifestyle and look and feel fabulous for the rest of my life. That is what I want. Sorry if this feels like a rant. It's not meant to be. Just feeling hurt and alone today.

I understand clearly how you feel. Ultimately it is my desicion to handle my life in a style that suits me, and keeps me healthy. I was a Lapband self-pay recipient 10 yrs ago at 219 and was 29 yrs old, in Ormond Beach Florida. Went down sucessfully to 127 and maintained the weight. My family is obese and all have cardiac problems, thyroid, BP out of control diabetes...etc. Years later had a baby girl and put on 60 pounds with the band unfilled during pregnancy. then 4 months after baby girl born (she is 6 now- and no more children, I have an 18 yr old in college now) I was able to loose all the wieight again when the band was adjusted and filled. went down to 130lb for about 5 years...THEN BAND GOT SLIPPED!!. The band had slipped way loooow. Last year I started eating..and eating.. as there was no restriction anymore and in 1 year 6 months I have balloned up too nearly 190 pounds currently. I resemble nothing of what I used to 2 yrs ago. Now my feet are swoolen unable to walk much, again the bordeline out of control sugars-diabetic,heart is pounding with this heat, in Florida...breathing like a fish out of water...snoring....my knees are painful to move ...and the list is long...needless to say that i look at my pictures and at 40 yrs old... if I dont do something quick and fix the problem and put my self in a regimen of dieting and exercising I will have MEGA problems, I have to loose weight ASAP. i HAVE STRUGGLED WITH DIETING ALL MY LIFE..

The bottom line is I have realised that although my BMI is low in comparison to patients on this site, I have to control my life to noT spin into a heavy obese patient with medical problems for my family TO DEAL WITH.

For me Gastric sleeve is the answer. After speaking with physicians and surgeons...it is my viable option to control the weight, and live a healthier life. It dosent matter what anyone else says....you know your own heart and willingness to diet and exercise. THe bariatric surgery is a serious matter to consider. I am self pay (saving all I can to leave soon to Tijuana, to see Dr. Ponce d Leon in Tijuana, surgery at INT.

I am going to change my odds. It is up to you.

I understand clearly how you feel. Ultimately it is my desicion to handle my life in a style that suits me, and keeps me healthy. I was a Lapband self-pay recipient 10 yrs ago at 219 and was 29 yrs old, in Ormond Beach Florida. Went down sucessfully to 127 and maintained the weight. My family is obese and all have cardiac problems, thyroid, BP out of control diabetes...etc. Years later had a baby girl and put on 60 pounds with the band unfilled during pregnancy. then 4 months after baby girl born (she is 6 now- and no more children, I have an 18 yr old in college now) I was able to loose all the wieight again when the band was adjusted and filled. went down to 130lb for about 5 years...THEN BAND GOT SLIPPED!!. The band had slipped way loooow. Last year I started eating..and eating.. as there was no restriction anymore and in 1 year 6 months I have balloned up too nearly 190 pounds currently. I resemble nothing of what I used to 2 yrs ago. Now my feet are swoolen unable to walk much, again the bordeline out of control sugars-diabetic,heart is pounding with this heat, in Florida...breathing like a fish out of Water...snoring....my knees are painful to move ...and the list is long...needless to say that i look at my pictures and at 40 yrs old... if I dont do something quick and fix the problem and put my self in a regimen of dieting and exercising I will have MEGA problems, I have to loose weight ASAP. i HAVE STRUGGLED WITH DIETING ALL MY LIFE..

The bottom line is I have realised that although my BMI is low in comparison to patients on this site, I have to control my life to noT spin into a heavy obese patient with medical problems for my family TO DEAL WITH.

For me Gastric sleeve is the answer. After speaking with physicians and surgeons...it is my viable option to control the weight, and live a healthier life. It dosent matter what anyone else says....you know your own heart and willingness to diet and exercise. THe bariatric surgery is a serious matter to consider. I am self pay (saving all I can to leave soon to Tijuana, to see Dr. Ponce d Leon in Tijuana, surgery at INT.

I am going to change my odds. It is up to you.

Thanks for that. Your story sounds a lot like mine. Family history etc. Good luck to you and I know you'll be a great success!

I understand what you mean, and I know it can be frustrating. When I was about 40 lbs lighter, I considered wls, but so many people kept saying "you're not big enough for that" or "that's too extreme for someone your size", and eventually I decided not to pursue it. Fast forward 4 years and I've lost and gained and lost and gained more, and now I'm 45lbs heavier wishing I'd followed my own path and gotten this done years ago. NO ONE has to walk in your shoes. It would be easy for me at 245lbs to say "I wouldn't have surgery if I was 200lbs", but I'm not the one who has to live your life. Don't let people who don't have to live your struggle tell you how to get through it. Best of luck to you.

candy

It doesn't really matter about weight. Height has a lot to do with BMI also. I was shocked one time when someone who told me (online) they were going to have the surgery when she was 200 lbs. then they told me they were 5 ft. That made a huge difference. I applaud you to taking care of this before things get worse. I'm happy you are doing so and not have all the health issues I have to deal with on a daily basis. I don't tell myself I should have done it sooner. I've tried and insurance at that time would only do the by-pass and if I had the health issues I have now. I didn't qualify in their eyes and I weighed more than I do now.

Cheers for you taking care of yourself!

I had the sleeve done 4 months ago at just a 34-35 bmi. I only had 50 pounds to lose and so far I've lost 42 lbs. I am only 5 ft tall and I was diabetic and I was just so unhealthy and had no energy and didn't want to go anywhere couldn't fit into any of my clothes, so I went to Mexico and paid for the surgery. I look and feel better as far as weight goes. I have no regrets. It's been a hard recovery for me, but in the long run no more yo-yo dieting.

I had the sleeve done 4 months ago at just a 34-35 bmi. I only had 50 pounds to lose and so far I've lost 42 lbs. I am only 5 ft tall and I was diabetic and I was just so unhealthy and had no energy and didn't want to go anywhere couldn't fit into any of my clothes, so I went to Mexico and paid for the surgery. I look and feel better as far as weight goes. I have no regrets. It's been a hard recovery for me, but in the long run no more yo-yo dieting.

Thank you for that

I know how you feel :(

You do what's right for you. Don't bother what other people say, their just haters :)

But I agree, no co-morbidities is a good thing. Why wait for that to happen.

Stay strong and keep up the good fight!

Nobody else knows what it feels like to be in your body. Only you. And different people feel healthy and/or unhealthy at different weights. If you feel like WLS is right for you, and your doctor is on board with it, then that should be all that matters to anyone else.

My bmi was 35 when I got surgery, size 14, I'm 5'6. Family and friends had their opinions - they said you can do this on your own, blahblah, the fact is I could not do it on my own I lost the same 20 pounds for years! People have voluntary surgery all the time! My girlfriend who was against wls for me had her boobs done! What?! She did something to make herself feel more confident, so did I ! This is America, so it's only up to me what decisions I make ! And it's only up to you too! Good luck to you! Do what you makes you happy! :)

My bmi was 35 when I got surgery, size 14, I'm 5'6. Family and friends had their opinions - they said you can do this on your own, blahblah, the fact is I could not do it on my own I lost the same 20 pounds for years! People have voluntary surgery all the time! My girlfriend who was against wls for me had her boobs done! What?! She did something to make herself feel more confident, so did I ! This is America, so it's only up to me what decisions I make ! And it's only up to you too! Good luck to you! Do what you makes you happy! :)

how much have you lost since wls?

don't mind people! the ones that love you will never discourage you from trying to get your health back.

they may be afraid that you'll become prettier than them, or they will be ashamed that they were looking at you like something and not like somebody, they will be scared to see you becoming selfconfident, they don't even try to understand, you are just ennoying them with your so called weight problems, as you don't complain so much about the pains, it means that it doesn't exist....also they will make you feel like surgery doesn't diserve any glory, loosing weight with such tool is just like cheating, as if going under general anesthesy and major surgery was a playing game!

they can be good friends, but when it reaches such a serious matter, forget about what they think, everybody has energy to face his problem, for yours they will use empty mouth and useless words to treat it.

Don't mind anybody and take good care of yourself,

I'm going to have my surgery on 22nd next month , i am bmi 32, all my body is pain, i did not tell anybody except my husband and friends that i know they will encourage me, and they did !

Edited by sosola

There is a lot of good science that show the benefits of having WLS done between 30-40 bmi. The complication rate is halved, the short term recovery is easier, and there is a lesser amount of long-term weight regain. Not to mention avoiding many of the illness that are associated with an increased bmi.

Why do you care what other people think or say? (Especially complete strangers on an internet site). Your body. Your health. Your decision. End of story.

Edited by Kindle

Why do you care what other people think or say? (Especially complete strangers on an internet site). Your body. Your health. Your decision. End of story.

True. And normally I don't care but I guess the closer it gets the more I was reaching out and was a bit surprised that people who should understand were not very supportive.