Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for a 5 k - BIG deal for me!

My husband and daughter run marathons. I occasionally walk a 5 k and I come in dead last most of the time, if not next to last. They are hard for me and I don't love them. My family runs ahead then circles back to find me and walk me to the finish. I feel very self conscious while doing it. I don't own a sports bra but you don't need them to walk. I am proud that I even did some (total of about 7) but it is hard coming in late.

Well in October I am running my first 5k. I found a bra at Old Navy that actually is a sports bra and it fits (amazing). I am trying a program called couch25k. I am going to follow it religiously and this year I will run it and not feel self conscious at all. I came in next to last year because someone got injured and was behind me as a result. It is in my hometown and I saw loads of people I knew. I want it to be different and the 41 pounds I have lost to date is giving me the confidence to try. Posting here for 2 reasons: Because I want to proclaim it so it happens (keep me honest) and I want to encourage others that have no athletic desires or abilities to tell them it can be done.

You may want to try the Couch to 5k program. When I was down 135 pounds 3-5 years ago I used it to go from a total non runner to running 5k's regular. Just google it, their are downloads for iPad and other devices.

That is amazing that you have even walked the 5k I couldn't even do that. I have however since I have lost the weight been wanting to try one, I want to try one of those electric, or paint runs, you know the ones that they throw paint at you or what have you. I think it would be fun. I am and never have been a runner, but I need something that I can start to enjoy? I have to get motivated for more exercise. I have now lost 54lbs and I am psyced about that, but I need more off cause my knees still kill me. Well good luck with your running!!!

Pupichupi

That is a color run you are talking about and I want to try one too. They throw powder at you that is colored. Paint would be a hoot though! I wish we lived closer so we could be motivating to each other!

Pupichupi That is a color run you are talking about and I want to try one too. They throw powder at you that is colored. Paint would be a hoot though! I wish we lived closer so we could be motivating to each other!

Sparklingbeauty, the color run is the same they throw powder paint at you so as your running and sweating the powder turns into paint!!! A friend of mine did it last week and after a couple days she still had paint on her though??? Crazy!!!

Congrats I ran my first 5K run in April. It was the color run. I doing two more 5Ks in August. I am going to black light run. Good luck to you I know you can do it!

Congrats! I know you can do it. I'm doing a 4.3 miles on August. I don't know if I can run it, but I'm at least going to walk it. I tried couch to 5k on the treadmill and gave myself a nasty case of bronchitis so I'm going to have to work my way up just to start couch to 5k.

Update: Couch to 5 k was too hard, you start running from day one and my daughter felt that was too hard for me at this time so I am doing the Jeff Galloway Easy 5K. Either way I am determined!

Running a 5k is another one of my goals! I did 2 this summer, the color fun fest (A color run), and the Hit and Run 5k (Obstacle themed race). I walked them because I'm not a runner yet. Now that it's getting a little cooler again here, I'm going to restart the Couch to 5k training. I really want to be a runner! I'm hoping after I train for a while that I can sign up for a half marathon next year. That's going to be a huge challenge, but I'm excited and determined!

@@Sparklingbeauty53 How are you doing with your goal? I did several 5Ks this summer, starting with walking and running, and finally today I completed my first all run 5K! It was tough, and I have been training for over a year. I loved the couch to 5K program after I struggled through the first few weeks.

I'm glad you like your Old Navy bra. It's so hard to find a good one! I like Enell bras because they really suck in the girls and keep them from moving.

Please report to us how you're doing and once your 5K is done, too! Keep up the good work!!

I signed up for my local Color Run this April. I'm nervous! I know I can walk it, but my hope is to try to run at least part of it. My family is going to be joining me and I hope to keep up with them (for once!)

Congratulations to you! I want so bad to be a runner. I've lost 80lbs 9/15/14 surgery. In November I did the Color Run, LR Marathon 10k a week ago. I walked it. And almost came in last. But ya know what, I finished. And that's all that matters. Keep going. You can do it! Set your goals and focus on you.

And do you have a Lane Bryant in your area? They have WONDERFUL sports bras.

Congrats! I signed up for my first ever 5K this September, it's a color run and my friends and I are going to do the dance, walk, run or cartwheel portion which I am really looking forward to. Before surgery I would never have signed up for fear of being so much slower than the rest of my friends but now I can train all summer and I can run (and dance) WITH them! :rolleyes: