Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions for my plant based friends

I am a newbie and SO happy to see this subject discussed! For those who have had the WLS do you have any digestion problems with a plant based diet? Has weight loss been quicker or more steady without meat? Do you focus more on the Protein sources after surgery?

In answer to your questions:

No. I told the surgeon and others that I had problems with processed food, because salad and veggies don't give my GI track the misery other things do. I can eat 2-3 bites and then stop. Drinking is another story.

Weight loss: you can't go by me as I blew thru weight like there was no tomorrow. Some of that was the fact I got in an Olympic swim competition after surgery and took on the men's won-every-race-in-history guy. LOL.

I focus a LOT more on Protein sources. I do eat turkey or chicken as much as I can but the amount of meat I eat is more on the range of 30+, I get the rest from veggies and vegan/vegetarian Protein packets. I have to be careful as chicken sometimes can be problematic ... that's why for the most part people consider me vegetarian/vegan.

I am a Vegetarian and have been for the last 5 week or so. In thee last 5 weeks I have lost over 15 pounds which was much quicker than the weight loss I experienced when I wasn't a Vegetarian (besides when I first got the sleeve done last September). Now I'm 2 pounds from goal and I feel like this is THE BEST decision for me.

And before anyone jumps on the Protein bandwagon, I get plenty of it. I feel great and I am doing my best to contribute to a better environment for the planet and my body.

Eating meat is completely unnecessary in todays world.

Endless ,

My husband is vegetarian also. He is having his sleeve done the end of July. What are you using for your main Protein source? how did you handle it in the immediate post op phases?

Thanks for any insight

I'm pre-op but I am a pescatarian (no pork or beef) and I was worried about my Protein in take. But, after my 1st seminar I learned that I have to eat a lot of Protein. So I'll be looking for recipes!

I posted a slew of them on one of the other forums:

milk (of any type), yogurt, eggs, Protein drinks or powders mixed in with food. When you get a little farther out, Beans of all types, peas, nuts, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, chickpeas, hemp, poppy/sunflower & other types of seeds, seitan, oatmeal, Peanut Butter, lentils, veggie prepared patties, TVH, spinach, cheese, cottage cheese (you have vegan cheeses), spirulina, broccoli, soy stuff, tahini, chia seeds

and one of my favorites for Fiber and natural sugar: Medjool dates! OMB ...

I never had any problems digesting my wonderful fruit, vegetables, nuts and Beans, with an occasional bite or drink of grass fed, hormone free animal products.

For me, weight loss was quicker with out animal foods, plus digestion is easier. However fish, depending on how it is cooked digest very well. I try to focus on anything that grows from the earth, and I can not go wrong.

After my surgery, I tried to get into the Protein diet everyone kept on talking about. I did not work for me because it was too complicated for me. Instead, focused on getting as many green foods into my body as possible. That meant juicing a lot to get enough vital nutrients my body needed.

So sorry for the pic that was meant for Instagram. I have been juicing for 3 years at least 1 time a day sometimes twice a day. I started bariatric classes and they are telling me I had to stop juicing and well never be able to juice again. Talk about a crusher. How long did you wait until you started juicing?

I started juicing time I got home. I was juicing before my sleeve and right after my sleeve I began juicing again. It is the best way to get nutrients, especially now that I have a tiny tummy. Many "professionals" do not understand how easy it is to digest that wonderful bunch of kale, cucumbers, carrots, green apples, beets, celery and a host of other wonderful fruits and vegetables.

I know what is best for my body, and juicing one of my top priorities. It keeps me healthy and strong. Juicing also keeps my yearly check-up normal when I have bloodwork. I would advise anyone to juice.

New here. I was sleeved on 9/18 but I've been vegetarian for a very long time. So far I've lost 30lbs. I've been eating a lot of cheese, yogurt and eggs with the occasional nut butter. I prefer using a nutra bullet over my juicer so I retain the Fiber. The only thing I'm adding right now is spinach so I don't overwhelm my tummy. My biggest challenge was finding a Protein powder. I am allergic to food dyes and stevia. I prefer to limit my soy intake. I finally went with a whey powder that I usually add some nut butter to in order to mask the taste. I'd like to eventually transition to vegan eating.

Yes, try hemp or egg white Protein. Both are great.

Edited by Sweet Pee

Have you tried anything like Vega or the other pea, hemp or like Proteins?

Vega has stevia in it and I'm allergic to stevia. I found 2 that work for me. CVS whey powder and Orgain organic Protein Drinks.< /p>

I use organic Protein powder and it is great. It is called Fit365

www.fit365.com (Kyle Brown) (858)794-7777. He developed this Protein Powder just for picky people like me. (Smile)

Grass-Fed Whey Protein (21g)

Coconut Oil

High Fiber

Live Probiotics

Gluten Free

Non-GMO

Soy Free

Low Glycemic

I was very concerned about using whey powder, especially since I try to eat organic when ever I can. However, many whey Proteins never claim to be organic and taste great at the same time. This one is and you can taste the difference. It is clean and taste great like I said before. I bought the vanilla bean and it blends with about anything. It is very filling too.

Edited by Sweet Pee