Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start really exercising after surgery, and what is your "go-to" workout?

I'm planning on starting C25K tomorrow...I'm only 2 weeks out, so will probably end up walking majority of it. I would love to hear what you all do. Love getting ideas to break up the monotony. If you found a workout really pushed you past a weight loss rut...please share!

Cycling is my thing. About 2,000 miles a year.

Swimming 3x aweek is my thing. Easy on the joints, but what a workout ! Also walking, which turned to slow running 1 - 2 x a week. Finding activities that I loved and could stick with were keys to my weight loss.

I always wanted to be a "runner." However, I don't think it's meant to be...... I easily do 60 -65 minutes a day on the elliptical now. But, two weeks after surgery, I started out on the bike. I was able to do cardio, but not have to bear my weight.

I'm not sure what I should or shouldn't do 2 weeks out...I'm still tender in the stomach area...but my energy levels are returning, so I feel the need to workout and take advantage of it :-)

I'm not sure what I should or shouldn't do 2 weeks out...I'm still tender in the stomach area...but my energy levels are returning, so I feel the need to workout and take advantage of it :-)

Start easy and you body will tell you when it's ready to do more. I started walking on the treadmill it wasn't long til my body started yelling "run". Had to ignore it cuz of my bad knees, so my body has settled for cycling.

I just complete day 1 of C25K...speed walking instead of running...felt good!

Good for you! I love walking and that is my main exercise. These days it's outdoors, which is lovely -- an hour's loop at the lake -- and in the wintertime we have a treadmill in the basement along with a recumbent bike and a Bowflex. This reminds me, I need to get down there and start the Bowflex again. Love having the strong muscles.

I returned to my Dr. exactly one week after surgery for a post-op follow up, check for infections, ask routine questions, etc....

It was then he released me to go back to the gym, and also released me to soak in a hot tub or swim, etc....

So I went back 100% one week later, with his blessing....

I was released for light exercise about two weeks post-op. My surgery was in September, by December I was a member of the boxing gym. I was a little slow getting to the hardcore workouts because of a few factors, but not complications from the surgery. Listen to your body and your doc! Good luck :)

Whatever you decide to do I've found that consistency is the only thing that actually helps. All I ever did to lose over 100lbs is walk! I walked 45 minutes 6-7 days per week. GL!

I was allowed to do light exercise 1 week after surgery, but no stomach exercises for the first month. I did mostly walking to start. I also use some Walk way the Pounds videos. They are varied, so I wasn't doing the same thing every day. I started the c25k recently and finished week 3 day 1 yesterday. It was painful because I have trouble controlling my breathing. I am better at increasing the intensity by increasing the incline on the treadmill.

Just do what feels good, but don't start out too strong. Your body is still in the healing stage. Good luck!!