Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can we start eating normally? Confused.

I got sleeve done was because I couldn't stay on a diet. I have been dieting all my life and gaining and losing because I give up and then gain then I start a diet again.

I didn't want to keep on dieting so I got the sleeve done thinking the first two months I have to be super careful: liquid stage, soft food stage, slowly introducing solids etc and then once that's over and my tummy is strong to take I stop. By stop I don't mean I let go completely, I still avoid carbonated drinks etc etc but can eat what other ppl around me are eating be it healthy: salad, chicken with vegges etc or unhealthy: pizza burger etc. but obviously not like how I used to but in v small quantities.

Isn't that the point to be able to eat whatever but in less amounts and try to eat healthy but not allllwaaayysss eating healthy like maybe once a week or something I can go unhealthy?

I'm just confused cuz now I have been reading so much and this forum and I read ppl feel guilty about indulging even a little bit.

Help.

Didn't your doctor give you an eating plan? Pre-surgical nutrition counseling?

Your sleeve will help you with Portion Control but only YOU can decide what to fill it with. Creating new habits is vital to your long term success, so if you can indulge weekly and be happy, more power to you.

You are very new out. I wouldn't recommend indulging yet, but what you choose to eat is on you. No guilt needed. :D

They told me I will eat less and have to be careful. I was fine with that. And I don't wanna indulge yet but like later after 4 5 months if I go to a bday and they cut a cake I wanna be able to take a bite of it without feeling like omg wth am I doing...

I was sleeved in April and I'm still not eating burgers and pizza. I think the point of the sleeve is not just to limit the quantity, but change the quality. I make sure to get Protein in first, I really want to get that 60 to 80 grams a day. If I had a burger, the bread would fill me up and

limit my protein intake. Honestly, I am so scared of losing my hair that it is motivating me to

eat right and get in all the nutrients I need to hopefully keep my hair. I know it's hard, I'd

love to have some pizza, but I'm just too scared. Hang in there, I'm sure it gets better.

If you eat what you used to, you will possibly maintain some weight loss, but you may very well not head off the co morbidities you either have or would have possibly ended up suffering from. Generally, from what I have observed "just less" of the same foods usually does not work. I think, among other things, it has to do with the fact that most poor choices are also slider foods, and you will eat more than you realize.

I have some concern for you, it sounds to an extent that perhaps you did not listen to what was told to you ahead of time, and treated this like another radical weight loss option, when in fact you have made a change that is NOT a cure. THIS WILL NOT cure you. It is a tool - an amazing god-sent tool in my opinion, but just a tool. You have to work at it every day, work at it until the new habits are old habits, and work at it still.

Make another appointment with a WLS specific nut, stick around here, too. Even when you can eat crap, don't. Good luck.

I remember at 3 1/2 months trying my first small salad. Loving my salads now. We have eaten healthy, taken supplements, good Vitamins and still the hair continues to come out. Just take it slow trying new foods. Small bites and slow chewing are the best advice we received. I finally broke my addiction to Diet Coke, thank goodness!

Per my doc, 28 days after surgery and it's back to normal food.< /p>

There are many people who have had weight loss surgery and chose to not change their eating habits, and regained all their weight and more. And we've heard of the celebrities who have been in the news who did just that. Ultimately, ONLY YOU can decide how you wish to conduct your weight loss surgery outcome, but I am afraid for you that you will be very disappointed in your results if you go back to your old eating habits. Sure, you will lose some weight in your first few months, but your odds of keeping it off are not good.

As you know, this isn't just about losing the weight, it is also very much about your health, both right now and for the rest of your life. WLS is about planning and eating healthful meals, every day, and learning to plan occasional indulgences. We need to eat quality food, not the junk food most of us ate all the time before our surgeries. Your sleeve is there to stay. It cannot be reversed.

Best of luck in whichever way you decide to handle your weight loss journey.

I will eat healthy most of the times but I mean if I go out some days in a month I would like to indulge in little bits and pieces u know?? Plus my Bmi was 31 when I got sleeved on 14th June and weight was 79 kgs.

Now my weight a week later is 74.9 kg

My goal is 60 and to stay at 60 kgs so it's not a lot.. I will eat all my nutrition tablets, Calcium vit d plus take in milk but I also wanna be able to enjoy life and part of it is food for me and if I will be satisfied with a small portion I'm happy with that.

I eat whatever I want. I obviously go for Protein and veggies first, but I also include fruits and complex carbs for a healthy, balanced diet. As for indulging in the "bad" stuff, you bet I do! I followed my diet plan to a T pre and postop, but after about 3 months, I was feeling back to normal and felt OK eating most anything. I've had pizza, tacos, tiramisu, cake, ice cream, cheesecake, muffins, pancakes, fries, wine, and vodka....all completely guilt free! The only thing I consider off limits is carbonated beverages. ( I tried a few sips and it was definitely a no-go) Of course I eat these things in moderation, and I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't have carb craving triggers. Like you, I had surgery so I would never have to diet again. No counting, no tracking, no depriving myself. I make good choices and my sleeve limits my portions. I am 6 pounds under goal and still losing so for me, this plan works.

Edited by Kindle

That's good to hear! That's what I wanna do! Eat balanced mostly but not always being restricted as I don't want to feel restrictions. Carbonated beverages I myself am not feeling like and I don't want to.

Were you still losing after the three months when you started losing normally? What was your weight when you started and now?

I lost 22 pounds on my two week preop diet, 34 pounds the first 3 months and 28 pounds in the last 3 months since I've been eating "normal". I actually increased my carbs 2 weeks ago to try and slow my weight loss....added in a little more fruit and whole grains... Not to mention the blueberry muffin and vodka cranberry last weekend and the birthday cupcake two days ago.(And still lost 3 pounds ). My restriction is awesome and I eat healthy 90% of the time. My sleeve is a dream come true!

That sounds amazing!! I hope I can do that too. I'm on liquids first week today over post op and the first few days I felt I had no appetite but today I had a whole glass of ensure milk and half a glass of orange juice and will have soup... Is it ok if my appetite is increasing so quickly??

Flat out You will not get full on liquids.... And you should try and get more Protein at this stage. Ensure and OJ are both full of sugar and definitely won't satisfy any hunger and the acidity from the OJ can be quite irritating this early out. Stomach Acid can also feel like hunger and antacids/PPI's can help with that if you aren't already taking them.