Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep study Dr. David kim

So I had a consultation with David kim today it was alright they want to send me for a sleep test I think it's pointless I don't think I have sleep apnea but even if I do dr.kim is out of network so I still have might have to pay $3,000 to him and upto $12,000 to the hospital yeeeeah that doesn't sound awesome so thinking about If i do have sleep apnea and my insurance (BCBSTX) will cover my VSG I might go to Nick Nicholson since he is in network but if I don't have sleep apnea or hiatal hernia I'm going to Mexico to see Dr. Illan.Does anyone know how much sleep study's cost?

That's comforting to hear (that's odd to say lol) just worried about all the co pays I heard someone say the amount they spent in co pays they could have gone to Mexico for the surgery! Can't believe I actually want sleep apnea lol

It depends on your policy. Some insurances cover nearly 100% of everything, some have higher out of pocket. Have you talked to your insurance company about what all is covered for bariatric? If not, def give them a call and they can give you the full scoop.

ETA: Not sure about the cost of sleep study, but if it is ordered by a regular doc it should be covered under your insurance. You can go see an ear nose and throat doc, for example, or maybe your primary care provider? Say you have been told that you snore loudly and/or appear to stop breathing during sleep.< /p>

Edited by woo woo

my bari surgeon ordered it right from his office they gave me this contraption that monitored my sleep and breathing through the night for 3 nights 2 tiny plugs in my nostrils and a finger clip. After the 3 nights gave it back to them they interpreted the results, so cost me noting. Have you spoken to your surgeon about it.?

Be very careful going to Mexico! I have read too many nightmares! Plus you will hotel fare, flight there and back, is it really worth it.! Try and find a way to stay in the good ole USA!! Just my opinion though.

Edited by 630racoon

my bari surgeon ordered it right from his office they gave me this contraption that monitored my sleep and breathing through the night for 3 nights 2 tiny plugs in my nostrils and a finger clip. After the 3 nights gave it back to them they interpreted the results, so cost me noting. Have you spoken to your surgeon about it.?

I believe he's sending me somewhere else to have the study done.

It depends on your policy. Some insurances cover nearly 100% of everything, some have higher out of pocket. Have you talked to your insurance company about what all is covered for bariatric? If not, def give them a call and they can give you the full scoop.

ETA: Not sure about the cost of sleep study, but if it is ordered by a regular doc it should be covered under your insurance. You can go see an ear nose and throat doc, for example, or maybe your primary care provider? Say you have been told that you snore loudly and/or appear to stop breathing during sleep.

I think I'll do that woo woo have my regular doctor order it. Thanks!

Be very careful going to Mexico! I have read too many nightmares! Plus you will hotel fare, flight there and back, is it really worth it.! Try and find a way to stay in the good ole USA!! Just my opinion though.

Where have you heard them? I like hearing the good and the bad when making decisions.

I believe he's sending me somewhere else to have the study done. I think I'll do that woo woo have my regular doctor order it. Thanks!

I started with Dr. Kim and switched to Dr. Hodges in Dr. Barkers group. Dr. Kim does his sleep studies at a facility on hwy 26. They were super nice there, and insurance should cover that, but I'm not sure what your co-pay would be?

Dr. Kim is very nice, but I had issues with his coordinator which is why I switched :). I've heard great things about dr. Nicholson, too!!!

I started with Dr. Kim and switched to Dr. Hodges in Dr. Barkers group. Dr. Kim does his sleep studies at a facility on hwy 26. They were super nice there, and insurance should cover that, but I'm not sure what your co-pay would be?

Dr. Kim is very nice, but I had issues with his coordinator which is why I switched :). I've heard great things about dr. Nicholson, too!!!

Thanks! Just worried my co pay is gonna be ridiculous Since Dr kim is out of network for me thinking I should jump ship now and go somewhere else but idk guess I could wait and see

If he's out of network- I would definitely look at an in network provider. We are lucky to have so many great options locally that one is bound to be in network :).

I used Dr Hodges with Dr Barker Bariatrics the sleep study was $8000. The sleep study was a requirement for the dr but not my insurance.. I have BCBS anthem....

I used Dr Kim who was your coordinator ashleine? Dr Kim has a out of network special right now for $4900, did you talk to them about the special?

Yes that was our next step but I may have found a better deal with my first choice surgeon so I'm going with them instead for my egd test and possible surgery and if I can't use the HH loop hole to get my surgery then im off to Mexico.