Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marathon Training/ Long-Distance Running and Low Carb Diets after Surgery

So I'm 9 months post op and after running a couple of 5k's have started training for a half-marathon in Sept. and then hope to move on to a marathon on May. In the online running community that I am a part of there is a lot of great information, but currently there is a debate about whether you can mix extremely low-carb diets with long-distance and endurance running. The consensus seems to be that low carb + running do not mix well.

I was actually reading up a bit on long distance running nutrition yesterday before this discussion started and it struck me that I may struggle with long-distance nutrition because of the limitations of my diet and the capacity limitations of my sleeved stomach. Most marathon info out there suggests at the very least carb loading the day before and morning of the race. I'm not sure this really would work for a post-op sleever. Also, there is the question then of nutrition during the race..... gel packs, sports drinks, Gummy bears, jelly Beans, pretzels, etc. used for restoring energy. It is recommended that you take in 100 calories in these forms every 45-60 minutes after the initial 90 minutes of a run to maintain energy. I'm just not sure how this would work for my stomach....particularly since I don't eat those foods at all anymore.

There is some info out there on the paleo diet and athletes, but really not much at all on post-bariatric surgery and long-distance or endurance running.

I guess my question is for anyone in the midst of training for a long distance run, or any long distance runners out there. How do you balance our dietary limits as far as low-carb (30-40/day for me) or other sleeve or bypass related issues with the nutritional energy needed to maintain you for a 13 or 26 mile run.

Suggestions, thoughts, initial feedback?

Edited by livvsmum

I didn't worry about carbs on my long run days. I usually take a bonk breaker (they sell them at Sports Authority, Dicks Sporting Goods, and Amazon) and I eat about 1/4 of it every 30 min. I can't do any of the energy gels or Beans as they don't sit well on my stomach. Other than the bonk breaker, I usually have an extra yogurt and a snack on running days. On my long runs I'm burning 1,600 calories at least and it's important to increase your calorie count.

Look at you all!! Marathon runners! Truly an inspiration! Best of luck since I don't run anywhere but maybe one day.=)

I do not run marathons, but I do other running and workouts where I need a good flow of energy. Low carb is just not going to do it. I even ranted about carbs not being evil in the rant forum recently. There are a ton of good carb options there. As for me, I eat a lot of carbs before my workouts in the form of 1/2 cup steel oats, 1 scoop Protein Powder and 1/2 cup Fiber one original Cereal. Not only gives me the energy I need to work out hard, but also tastes good. I have been eating this carby meal 2-3 hours before my workout for about 18 months now and am still as fit as I was when I reached goal, even more so now. Quite a bit more. So I say to you - eat your "good" carbs and then kick it during your run, workout, whatever. Also take the time to carb up afterwards with Protein. Your muscles will thank you the next day.

Edited by Fiddleman

Thanks for asking this! I tried to ask somethjng similar a while ago an didn't get much response. Your question is phrased better and you are getting good info! I am in a similar situation...six months out, done 5k's and training for half an sprint tri.

I'm wondering about bariathletes. Have you googled the term? Dan Bernandi? I'm not sure of the spelling of his last name seems to not have a problem with it.

The consensus seems to be that low carb + running do not mix well.

Also, there is the question then of nutrition during the race..... gel packs, sports drinks, Gummy bears, jelly Beans, pretzels, etc. used for restoring energy. It is recommended that you take in 100 calories in these forms every 45-60 minutes after the initial 90 minutes of a run to maintain energy.

Suggestions, thoughts, initial feedback?

I'm a bandster....

Low carb and an endurance events longer than about 90 minutes don't work for me either. I just hit a wall at about 90 minutes if I don't take in any carbs.

I've only done half distance's and probably won't do a full marathon....just not sure I want to dedicate myself to that....YET. For me, a half takes about 2 hours at a reasonable pace, as I'm not a fast runner. I did my last one eating some carb heavy meals the day before and had half cup of oatmeal a couple of hours pre run. During my last half, I had some electrolyte drink mixed in with Water, and took a GU gel every half hour. And a pack of energy Beans at the one hour time. At the end I felt great...that worked for me. YMMV.

I really like Fiddleman's pre workout plan if I'm going on a longer bike ride...say more than 2 hours. I usually have some oatmeal before starting, then I personally find Clif Bars to be what works best for me during the ride. I will eat a half one at one hour, then another half about every 30- 45 minutes. I don't think I could do bars during a run....although I've never tried.

Low carb is just not going to do it. I even ranted about carbs not being evil in the rant forum recently. There are a ton of good carb options there. As for me, I eat a lot of carbs before my workouts in the form of 1/2 cup steel oats, 1 scoop Protein powder and 1/2 cup fiber one original cereal.

So I say to you - eat your "good" carbs and then kick it during your run, workout, whatever. Also take the time to carb up afterwards with Protein. Your muscles will thank you the next day.

Edited by catfish87

Thanks for all the feedback!

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'll just throw my two cents in here. I've done 1 marathon, 7 half marathons, numerous triathlons and now I'm training for a full Ironman (training keeps me away from these boards). Carbs are important but not at the expense of Protein. Everyone is going to find their own balance but a low carb diet only will cause you to bonk. I don't carbo-load before a race but I don't shy away from carbs either. I still follow the Protein first but keep room for carbs. Good luck!

Have run 11 marathons after Sept 2012 and gastric sleeve surgery. Used to weigh 322 lbs. Now weigh 190. Can eat anything I want as often as I want just not as much in one sitting. I don't think you need a special "diet" to run marathons after gastric sleeve surgery. I don't notice any difference when running and refueling after the surgery that I had. It has made life much easier.

I didn't run or workout for 13 yrs before having the surgery.

I've been playing around since my earlier post...did my triathalon, moved up to 10k's and running Ragnar Relay this weekend. I definitely need the carbs during my long run days. I don't carb load the night before, but I do fuel with good carbs the day of (bananas, oats, flax, etc) and I use the occasional gu or gel or wafer. Heck even pretzels and such fix their way into my running diet. All in moderation and to fuel. Hasn't opened any doors to more carbs for me or anything on the regular days.

Carbs are not the devil. I ran a marathon in my 20s and I completely remember using it to justify eating like a pig! LOL. And for us the carb loading thing was social more than anything.

I do crossfit and I run, usually 3-5 easy miles. On those days, sometimes the day after I am a little more lax about how many carbs I eat. If I were to train for a marathon again I think I would probably take the same attitude. I rarely work out more than an hour now, so even when it's hard I don't have to fuel during it. And I rarely make a point to fuel before if I have eaten well that day.