Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many shakes do you have each day?

I had been having one daily, as a Breakfast replacement. I will likely be swapping to all-food after today, however, since I had a very bad reaction to the shake I was drinking (most of them are too overwhelmingly sweet for me to tolerate)

My NUT and doctor both prefer going to mostly foods at this point anyway (I just hit soft food stage).

I will be 6 weeks post op on Monday & I have 1/2 of a Premier Protein shake every morning. Unfortunately I can only drink 1/2 of one because they are 11 oz & my new tummy won't hold any more. I drink the other 1/2 sometime during the day so I'm at least getting 30 gm of Protein from that. At the end of the day if my protein grams aren't up to 60 I will drink another shake or Unjury's chicken Soup or a small shake from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or Syntrac nectar to bring my gram count up. I see my doctor next week & hopefully I will be able to eat "real" food such as chicken & fish. This should help with my protein grams. I know someone who had the sleeve surgery 3 years ago & she still drinks 2 or 3 shakes a day. She said it has made a difference in her skin elasticity. She looks really good so maybe she's on to something. I hope this helps with your question.

6 months out today. I have one large Protein Drink everyday (24-32 oz, 30-40g protein) and drink 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the PM. I don't measure or track anything else, so I know I've got a good start on fluids and Protein with just this one thing. At this point I'm eating every 3 hours but my restriction is so good I can't eat enough real food to meet protein goals. (I know I said I don't track, but I've tallied my totals for a "typical day" and see my protein isn't even close without the supplement). Besides, I love my yummy shakes and have no intention of giving them up!

Edited by Kindle

I drink one or two a day depending on how my Protein intake from solid Proteins is going for the day. I have to get at least 80 grams a day. I have one for Breakfast every day and in the evening if I need it, I will have another. If I'm only a little under I will use sugar free Carnation instant breakfast packet with 8 oz skim milk. Good luck!

I have one for breakfast (ON Gold Standard), usually half a Quest bar an hour before going to the gym, and usually a half scoop shake (Syntrax Matrix) right after the gym. On non-gym days, just the morning shake. I'm 6 months post-op, and I'm planning to keep this same Protein routine indefinitely. Not hard to do, since they're so delish.

I am 9 months post op and drink a shake every morning. My NUT and doc are both ok with this. The rest of my day is primarily real food. I do eat a Protein Bar often in the late afternoon.

In three days I will be six months out. I still drink one a day on most days. I only eat a Protein bar or Protein chips if I am on the road for a distant appointment during a meal time.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I drink 2 a day one in the am and one in the afternoon. I am thinking of adding a third to get my Protein up to 80. My nut and dr are fine with that as well. I have been averaging 60-70 grams a day and I want to try to get to the 80 because I have heard the skin issues are better and the healing is faster and I am still learning what I can tolerate real food wise and I have had two strictures so real foods are hard still for me.

I am like Kindle...six months out but lots of restriction and not able to meet my Protein goals without supplementation. I do a 25-30g Protein Shake a day, usually for Breakfast. Then I am usually able to get the rest in but if I am low in the evening (I do track) I will have another one in the evening.

6 months out today. I have one large Protein Drink everyday (24-32 oz, 30-40g protein) and drink 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the PM. I don't measure or track anything else, so I know I've got a good start on fluids and Protein with just this one thing. At this point I'm eating every 3 hours but my restriction is so good I can't eat enough real food to meet Protein goals. (I know I said I don't track, but I've tallied my totals for a "typical day" and see my protein isn't even close without the supplement). Besides, I love my yummy shakes and have no intention of giving them up!

what shakes do you love? I'm on pre-op shakes and I just chug them just to get them down-yuck...

I keep a variety of drinks and flavors around all the time. I have to dilute the RTD shakes with milk because they are too thick and sweet for me. I also add more Water than recommended to any of the powders to dilute them. Another trick is to add a bit if real juice to the fruity flavored drinks so it masks that artificial sweetener taste. Early on I also added unjury unflavored Protein powder to everything...soups, broths, mashed potatoes, yogurt, etc. for a savory alternative to all the sweet shakes.< /p>

Here are some of my currently favorite concoctions....

Premier chocolate with skim milk and banana

Syntrax matrix or Premier vanilla with skim milk and PB2

Muscle milk cake batter with gingerbread Torani Syrup

Muscle milk cake batter with pumpkin pie Torani syrup

Syntrax nectar apple ecstasy with a splash of cranberry juice

Garden of Life Raw Protein vanilla stirred into plain Greek yogurt (OK, so this is more like pudding than a drink)

Muscle milk cake batter with fresh blueberries

Syntrax Nectar cherry with a splash of OJ

Premier Protein chocolate and caramel or hazelnut Torani syrup in my morning coffee

Syntrax matrix vanilla with OJ ....frozen for a dreamsicle treat.

I use Epiq Isolate from GNC. I've only tried the vanilla flavor. When I make it, I put cinnamon in it. It tastes exactly like rice pudding and/or horchata! It's delish

Edited by Ariellestarr

Before my surgery, I tried out different companies & their Protein shakes so I would know what I liked before my guts were rearranged. I found that I like this peach-mango Protein drink the best, followed by the chocolate Protein drink.

http://www.bariatricchoice.com/bari-wise-bariatric-health-fruit-drinks-peachmango.html

I like the chocolate one as it also aspartame free.

http://www.bariatricchoice.com/wonderslim-aspartame-free-pudding-shakes-meal-replacement-chocolatecream.html

I usually mix up one or the other in the mornings & put them in the fridge so there is always something ready to go when I get hungry.