Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to pack to bring to the hospital for your stay during surgery

Ashlee,

My surgery is this Wednesday June 25!! I am flippin out!

I wrote down all you suggested and will ask my Dr about gas-X.

I was also planning on writing myself a letter....so when you mentioned doing so, it really hit home for me.

I have such a wonderful, amazing, loving family and I want to be healthy and live life to its fullest...instead of not being able to do almost anything at all as is right now.....

Please keep my in your prayers this week... I may have to have the open RNY instead of laparoscopically as I am having a lap band removed that just did nothing but cause major problems/more health issues.

I am scared. Scared to the core of my soul. yet NOt having this surgery makes me even more scared.

Being morbidly obese is nothing until I hit 50... OMG my body cannot do this at all any more---at all,

My Dear Nancy,

You will remain in my thoughts and prayers this week and always. You are very brave and I am proud of you for making this decision to better your health. Make a list of all of the wonderful blessings in your life so you can think on those things. I keep thinking how much more I'll be able to do for my loved ones and for myself when I'm a healthier me. My life is so richly blessed now, but this is only the beginning for you and for me! Stay positive, trust God and do your best! Oh, and keep us posted on your recovery. You're going to do great- I just know it!

Love & prayers,

Ashlee

@oweemytoe I think it kind of depends on where your bra hits... I had a front closure bra with just one hook and it was significantly above the highest cut which was right below the sternum. So, try to find something that doesn't go lower than your sternum bone and you should be fine. They won't make an incision over that bone. If that makes sense. I couldn't imagine trying to pull a sports bra on and off. And, it needs to be hooked in the back, I'm sure a nurse will help you do that. You're right, you wouldn't want to be hooking in the front and spinning around to the back.

Best wishes!

Honestly I wasn't plan on packing anything to bring apart from my purse. This is probably because I can see my apartment from the hospital but every other time I'm been inpatient I haven't needed anything. I don't need many creature comforts and if I do hubby can dash to get it. So a purse with my phone and a kindle should be fine.

Hospital gown technology has changed a lot. I went for my upper GI and the gown covered everything from neck to ankle quite well. Side my house robe covers barely anything anymore.

Edited by Natasha Estrada

I'm certain that I'm probably over-prepared, but I would never use the word "minimalist" to describe me. Lol. Best of luck in your road to better health! :)

bra shma. I'm looking forward to the bracation! WHOO HOO!

Glad you mentioned a robe. I don't have one. Wish Walmart had some nice ones and not the old lady kind. Good, something that will take my mind off of surgery- ROBE SHOPPING!!!! :D

The longest I've stayed in a hospital was after my twins were born via emergency C-section at 33 wks and that was almost 11 yrs ago. It was sudden so I hadn't even packed my hospital bag yet. I do remember my mom letting me wear her old lady robe. Sure came in handy and at that point I didn't care what it looked like anyway!

My husband and I are having our surgeries the same day. I will have to remember to pack a bike horn so I can put it on my IV pole. When we are out on our 'run' around the halls I will honk at him to get outta my way. ;) ( we will be in our own rooms so I am looking forward to playing with the nurses and telling them that the old guy in the other room keeps coming over and sexually harassing me. Or is snoring too loud. Hmmmm.... what else...........) ;) This could be fun........ except if we have Nurse Ratchet.

You are so funny!!!! Best wishes to your husband and to you!! Can't wait to hear all about your experience and journey! :)

Edited by AshleePage

I'm on day and am thrilled that I brought my own from-scratch chicken broth. Also, baby wipes helped me freshen up so I could get out of the gown and into pjs

@@latido Great tips! Thank you for sharing! :)

Just got home. Owwee

That was fast!!! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Awesome, thank you!

Love love love the video!!! Will say the letter idea....FANTASTIC! !! (Carmex is also my fav!) And the guys in a dress....PLEASE SEND PICS!! LMBOOOO we could all use a good laugh!! Hahahaha

Great job tho!! Gave me alot to think about. :)

Thank you, Misty! I'm looking forward to sharing my journey....laughter & tears! Mostly tears of joy. :)

Keep it very simple because you will have IVs on top of your hands, those sticky pads to monitor different parts hey said that they keep the temp lowered to keep germs down.

You will be made to walk as much as you can.

Just be sure to listen to the nurses.