Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs are not evil

There are 'good' carbs and 'bad' carbs (or 'evil' as you say). Bad carbs include sugar and simple carbs and have almost no nutritional value. They contribute to obesity, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes. Eating simple carbs result in sluggishness and weight gain with very little benefit. Simple carbs are basically anything made w/white flour, white rice/rice flour, or enriched wheat flour (if something needs to be 'enriched' it's because they processed the hell out of it, stripping away any nutrients it might have had). Good carbs are complex carbs. They are recommended and desirable. They have soluble and insoluble Fiber, Protein, nutrients, and are more slowly digested resulting in a more steady energy supply and other health benefits. Good sources are whole grain breads, crackers, and cereals; brown rice; quinoa; Beans and legumes, etc.

A bariatric patient's dietary requirements for good health is Protein first, vegetables second, and complex carbs last. It works. :-)

@cgj- low carb most definitely affects positive mood (for me). It must disrupt the dopamine receptor binding process. It might also be that I am naturally a moody person and eating "good" carbs corrects that to about a level spot (not in a positive mood nor in a negative mood). I have found that eating carbs will keep me fairly normal (I would rather be more positive all the time though), but exercise boosts my mood 1000% where I feel anything can get done and my anxious / depressed mental track shuts up, at least for the afterglow period of 1-2 hours. It is a bit of complex process and definitely points to an intrinsic imbalance in my hormones that control mood. Not saying carbs should be used to regulate that, but it helps a little. Again, nothing beats a good workout for getting into that ideal version of yourself (e.g. seen limitless?) where the world is your oyster.

I need carbs and exercise to maintain my sunny outlook on life. I do stick to healthy carbs with treats of unhealthy carbs since I'm at goal. I added carbs back in once I could eat enough to get my Protein in without shakes and still have a little room left over. Of course, I only eat 65 grams of Protein a day, so it's a lot easier for me than Fiddle! Fortunately for me, healthy carbs are not trigger foods for me. Unlike Sees candy, Cheetos, and Cake. Those can't come home with me.

Lynda

I've loosened up on carbs, just a smidge, and I've seen an increase in energy, improvement in my desire to exercise, and consistent drop in weight. I'm not sure what's done it. I'm now eating 900-100 with at least 60 of Protein. Some days I'm under 50 carbs and other days I'm closer to 70. I feel better and have so much more energy. Then again, it might be the exercise that's driving it. I try to stay under 50 carbs at least 4 days a week. I've lost 75 and have 85 to go so I'm no expert. It's nice to know some can live in maintenance with some carbs. But I agree, most women of a certain age or body type, can't metabolize normal carb intake. Things like pizza are a slippery slope for me and would induce cravings.

oh AMEN (carbs are not evil)!!!!!

as a nurse i'll tell you that carbs are essential for brain function, organ function, metabolic cycle, and more. we need SOME.

the diet that i ate once upon a time, 1/2 a pizza, or a whole box of mac and cheese, or 3 sandwiches, well that's not SOME. that's a HUGE OVERDOSE!

i agree whole heartedly with others. my nut/surgeon actually have built a long standing and successful program and encourage small amounts of healthy carb (whole grain, high Fiber pasta) at the soft stage in limited amounts.

i appreciate this thread!

I agree that not all carbs are evil. I think it all depends on the person too. I am sensitive to carbs (unless they are veggies) and tend to not lose weight or I will gain weight if I eat them. I was successful on a low carb diet prior to surgery but it was very hard to stick to. Once I started eating my "bad" carbs again I couldn't stop. My preop diet was low carb, low fat, and low calorie though.

--Tina :-)

I have a low carb regiment and I want to stick to it and have been successful with it. I do not eat bread, Pasta, rice, cakes, Cookies or potato or drink milk. My carbs come from my my Protein Shakes, my cheese, yogurt, and some fruits and veggies. Carbs for me are bad and best to be out of my life for good. For energy I get from my Vitamins and my Protein and also from he stored fat in my body. I just want my fat to melt away. Even if you put bread in front of me, I won't touch it. And I am so glad I have a stamina and self control to keep myself away from it.

<p>Then there are the in betweeners and I think this is where it gets sticky. Whole grain bread is good for you... healthy carbs except for some of us that type of food triggers cravings and hunger and over eating. Simply having bread (even whole grain, high fiber) in the house is a challenge for me - one that is going to rear it's head again when my son moves back home as he needs all that kind of food.</p> <p> </p> <p>I don't count carbs, but i focus on Protein, veggies and berries and selected fruits. I do sometimes have Protein Bars, a glass of wine etc so I don't want to sound like i am really strict because I am not - but on a daily basis, I try to focus on basic food and limit most types of carbs.</p> <p> </p> <p>The reality of the situation is that post menopausal women such as me just don't get to eat much to maintain a normal BMI. This is why most are overweight at this age. It is also a reality that some of us are more sensitive to carbs than others. I don't think I could have gotten to goal without carb restriction frankly so while I agree with your basic premise (carbs are not evil) I do think that not all of us have the same experience either.</p> <p> </p> <p>I do not get brain fog but I am starting to speculate on the possible impact on mood issues... that eating low carb can make you more prone to feeling kinda down. I am doing research....</p>

I really think if you don't feel deprived of anything you will have long term success. I had this surgery to get control of my life not to stop enjoying it.

Been maintaining since Feb 2013...and still going strong. I am not deprived, I don't even care about bread etc but when I keep it in the house it can be a trigger. So for me I enjoy it at restaurants but don't keep it in the house generally. My son is home now and we do have bread and cold Cereal in the house for him... and I just have to give myself boundaries around it. So far, so good.

Yup I totally agree! If it's in the house it like the devil! Haha....

Been maintaining since Feb 2013...and still going strong. I am not deprived, I don't even care about bread etc but when I keep it in the house it can be a trigger. So for me I enjoy it at restaurants but don't keep it in the house generally. My son is home now and we do have bread and cold cereal in the house for him... and I just have to give myself boundaries around it. So far, so good.

Olive garden, right? Those bread sticks...

Seriously, I think bread before the main course is definitely a way to fill up fast. I just say no to bread before main course, but do like my fiber one and steel oats daily before working out.

Haven't done the Olive Garden yet! I LOVE the Olive Garden ! I just made BBQ filet, roasted parmesan asparagus, baked potato with all the trimmings, and garlic bread for my family! Boy my brain still thinks I can eat like I used to! Then four bites of steak and I'm full! How long did it take you for your mind to catch up? That seems to be my biggest problem!

I am not an olive garden fan but I love a good hummus and pita or clams with French bread!