Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wil I have normal life after sleeve?

I am two weeks before a surgery and scared to death about my quality of life after a surgery. Sleevers with some experience, please share your experience: All my questions are about the steady-state phase, not the first few weeks:

1) when you eat and get full, is it the same feelling as today, just without the big food quantities? Or is it a different feeling?

2) are you handicapped for life? Like the need to avoid certain foods and certain drinks.

3) can u ever drink a whole cup of Water, or will you need to sip slowly for life (sounds lile a torture).

4) just tell me about ur day to day life. I dont know if u had the same feeling, but I sometimes think to myself that I might be crazy to be cutting an organ that functions 100% right.

Would love to get your input.

Well I am 23 days post sleeve. No it's not the same. You get a pang to let you know, not one more bite. For me, I miss a lot of foods. Especially bread

You have to remind yourself to eat. And that can be hard. ESP for me as I like to drink all day. Having to stop drinking 30 mins before food is hard. And then once eating is done, waiting another 30 mins seems like forever

Do I regret it, no. The outcome is greater then the food problems. I never once vomited after surgery, a lot do....I am eating everything now and learning quickly what works and what doesn't

My advice, find someone you know (I have two) that have had surgery. They are my "gastric sidekicks" and are just a call or text away

This site is great, however having a honest talk and lectures work best for me

Maybe one day, bread and I will get along

It's easy to get dehydrated so drink drink drink!!!

Hope this helps!

I am two weeks before a surgery and scared to death about my quality of life after a surgery. Sleevers with some experience, please share your experience: All my questions are about the steady-state phase, not the first few weeks:

1) when you eat and get full, is it the same feelling as today, just without the big food quantities? Or is it a different feeling?

2) are you handicapped for life? Like the need to avoid certain foods and certain drinks.

3) can u ever drink a whole cup of Water, or will you need to sip slowly for life (sounds lile a torture).

4) just tell me about ur day to day life. I dont know if u had the same feeling, but I sometimes think to myself that I might be crazy to be cutting an organ that functions 100% right.

Would love to get your input.

1. Yes! I feel full, like I ate a house, after just a few bites (depending on what I eat, of course). The further out I am, the more bites I can eat before I feel full, but full feels the same. STUFFED, ATE TOO MUCH is uncomfortable. I try to avoid that feeling.

2. Handicapped... not at all. I mean, this is a Your Mileage May Vary thing.. some of us become lactose intolerant. Some of us can't digest bread or breading or anything wheat based. Some of us have a hard time with dry meats, like chicken breast. One of my friends can no longer eat any form of potato, sweet or otherwise. Strange, since she had zero issues before now and she is over 2 yrs out. Then there are people like me who have zero issues, sleeve wise. I watch my carbs and sugar because I am pre-diabetic, just like before surgery. I have no food or drink issues. I drink coffee and soda, some sweets on occasion, though my taste for them has completely changed! I have loved discovering the nuances of my sleeve. It's like a whole new being with a personality all it's own, so much so that I named mine. Her name is Jelly and Jelly is the boss of me! ;D

3. I can drink a glass of water... it takes some time. I have never been much of a Water drinker. In the beginning you want to sip because your sleeve is swollen and you don't know your capacity. Too much and you'll be very uncomfortable. As time passes, our capacity grows. You probably won't be able to chug down a bottle/glass of water any time soon. But a glass of water should be no problem, months out. Though, I normally have to wait 30 mins to an hour to drink anything after eating.

4. Awhile back, I was thinking about my surgery and what type of mind I had to be in to think that this would be the answer for me. I concluded that I was absolutely positively NUTS. I went to Mexico and had a surgeon stab me five times and amputate an organ. And you know what? I'd do it again 100 times. Quality of life? BETTER THAN NORMAL. Life isn't perfect-- weight loss doesn't solve all of our problems, of course-- but I LOVE seeing the changes my body has made. I love wearing sizes I have NEVER worn before... I went from kid sizes to plus sizes in the blink of an eye. I did my 2nd 5K yesterday and it was no big thing. I have fitness goals and I STILL LOVE FOOD... I just get to be really choosy about what I eat now.

Life is fantastic post surgery. Look forward to the New You, your New Normal... it's BETTER THAN NORMAL.

I'm 6 weeks out & It has been difficult to get in all my liquids. I have moved to regular food like I made rids for dinner tonight & only could eat 2 bite & I was full. It's kinda annoying but it's definitely a miserable thing to over eat. Idk how I could over eat it would hurt so bad. If I take one extra sip of Water it hurts so bad. I don't regret the surgery & seeing real results. I can finally fit into some jeans I haven't worn I years.

If you haven't already, why don't you check out the Gastric Sleeve Veteran's Forum! There is feedback from some people that have had their sleeve 3 and 4 years out.

I am 6 months post op today and I feel fantastic! There isn't anything (so far) that I can't eat. I get the same "full" feeling as I use to but just with MUCH smaller quantity. Today I ate lunch at Chili's and ordered the same meal that I use to, the Triple Dipper appetizer. In the past, I could have eaten the whole thing at one sitting. Today I ate one half southwest egg roll, one boneless buffalo wing (basically the size of a chicken nugget) and half a chicken strip. I took the rest home & can make 2 more meals out of it.

I work out 4-5 times a week but I certainly don't feel handicapped by my sleeve. I ate half a cupcake for my niece's birthday, I go out & socialize with my friends, I've enjoyed an adult fruity beverage. I can't say, for me, life after the sleeve is much different....

Other than I've lost 123 pounds!!

I am 8 months out this coming Tuesday. In the first couple of months, full did not feel normal - it felt more like a tightness in my chest. I would say at about 3 months out, full feels like it feels pre-surgery.

I can drink fluids the same as pre-surgery now, but those first 1-2 months, you do have to take it slow. It can hurt if you take too big a drink, especially in the first few weeks. Remember to give yourself a break in those first few weeks, as most people do not hit their Fluid goals. Or Protein goals.

I can tolerate any food. Really, nothing bothers my sleeve. I've never vomited. I just get full on far less food.

I would encourage you to manage your expectations on weight loss. I am a very slow loser, especially as I get further out. I posted a gain in month 6 and no loss in month 7. Month 8 has been better, but I've really ramped up my movement in an effort to break the stall.

It's no magic bullet, not for me anyway. The good news is that I am down 60 pounds, off blood pressure meds, and I fit better in airplane and movie seats. I don't sweat all the time. And I can jog.....a little. I'm wearing normal size clothes. This surgery has not handicapped me. Not at all.

Lastly, I think it's absolutely normal to question the sanity of the procedure. For me, I came to terms with the fact that I was losing the battle. I was tired of fighting the battle and I needed a boost. It's still work, but somehow it seems more manageable now. I think because I'm not deprived and I'm certainly not always hungry. It's hard to explain, but my relationship with food is different. And by that, I mean, I'm not always thinking about it.

Good luck on your journey! This forum is a great place to educate yourself, ask questions and share concerns.

I am 6 months post op today and I feel fantastic! There isn't anything (so far) that I can't eat. I get the same "full" feeling as I use to but just with MUCH smaller quantity. Today I ate lunch at Chili's and ordered the same meal that I use to, the Triple Dipper appetizer. In the past, I could have eaten the whole thing at one sitting. Today I ate one half southwest egg roll, one boneless buffalo wing (basically the size of a chicken nugget) and half a chicken strip. I took the rest home & can make 2 more meals out of it.

I work out 4-5 times a week but I certainly don't feel handicapped by my sleeve. I ate half a cupcake for my niece's birthday, I go out & socialize with my friends, I've enjoyed an adult fruity beverage. I can't say, for me, life after the sleeve is much different....

Other than I've lost 123 pounds!!

Thanks so much. Your post has given me so much hope that my weight will be in control for a change!

I am 8 months out this coming Tuesday. In the first couple of months, full did not feel normal - it felt more like a tightness in my chest. I would say at about 3 months out, full feels like it feels pre-surgery.

I can drink fluids the same as pre-surgery now, but those first 1-2 months, you do have to take it slow. It can hurt if you take too big a drink, especially in the first few weeks. Remember to give yourself a break in those first few weeks, as most people do not hit their Fluid goals. Or Protein goals.

I can tolerate any food. Really, nothing bothers my sleeve. I've never vomited. I just get full on far less food.< /p>

I would encourage you to manage your expectations on weight loss. I am a very slow loser, especially as I get further out. I posted a gain in month 6 and no loss in month 7. Month 8 has been better, but I've really ramped up my movement in an effort to break the stall.

It's no magic bullet, not for me anyway. The good news is that I am down 60 pounds, off blood pressure meds, and I fit better in airplane and movie seats. I don't sweat all the time. And I can jog.....a little. I'm wearing normal size clothes. This surgery has not handicapped me. Not at all.

Lastly, I think it's absolutely normal to question the sanity of the procedure. For me, I came to terms with the fact that I was losing the battle. I was tired of fighting the battle and I needed a boost. It's still work, but somehow it seems more manageable now. I think because I'm not deprived and I'm certainly not always hungry. It's hard to explain, but my relationship with food is different. And by that, I mean, I'm not always thinking about it.

Good luck on your journey! This forum is a great place to educate yourself, ask questions and share concerns.

I really identify with being tired of fighting the battle and that it's more manageable-- good to hear!

I'm 7 months post-op....

Full feels different than before surgery. If I eat to the point of really full, I'm in pain. I have eat slowly and chew each bite 20-25 times. food doesn't have the same draw as it did before surgery, so it's completely different - I eat until I'm satisfied, then I stop.

I have a sleeve of steel - I have not found a food my stomach doesn't like. I do avoid drinks with a lot of sugar, because I don't feel good after. Same way with certain foods I loved before surgery - Pasta and bread were a big part of my pre-op life...not any more. Quite frankly, I don't miss them, which surprises me. Bread doesn't make me feel good.
"Handicapped"? Not at all...I just eat the foods that fuel my body and make me food good.

I still sip at 7 months. I cannot gulp, although I have heard that some people can. If I take more than 3 drinks in a very short period of time, I feel a pain in my stomach.

I know how you feel - I still have fleeting thoughts about "What the hell did I do?" My life is totally normal except for the fact that I eat 4-6 times a day. I eat a Breakfast (usually a scrambled egg and turkey sausage patty). lunch might be a pizza (a carb balance tortilla with pepperoni and mozzarella). I have a shake almost every afternoon. dinner might be some steak and broccoli. I usually have a Protein bar or maybe some deli meat and cheese as a snack if I'm hungry.

I can tell you - I do not regret having the surgery. I'm down 70 pounds from my high weight and I am happier and healthier than I have been in 18 years or so. This is a life changer.

i just want to say, my surgeon believes the stomach of an obese person doesn't function correctly. he believes it makes to much grhelin and not enough leptin. maybe this is just his way of justifying the surgery he does, but he doesnt seem to be that kind to guy to me.

your full feeling is different because your stomach only takes up a fraction of the space inside your body that it used to. you will never have that "totally stuffed" feeling again. you will need to find other ways of coping with life rather than stuffing yourself.

i do not in the least bit feel handicapped by not eating certain foods. sometimes i miss stuffing myself with Pasta or rice, but its not really the food i miss, its the stuffing myself. and the farther i get from surgery... the less i miss it. its not a handicap... its very freeing! i can now CHOOSE to eat something or not. its my choice. i dont feel compelled anymore to eat and eat and eat.

i can drink 8 ounces of liquid if my stomach is empty. but this didnt happen until i was 5 months post op. is this typical? no idea.

i'm not sure what you mean by normal.... i have the same life i had pre op, except i spend way less time eating and thinking about food and more time moving around and exercising. i walk way more (i live in the city), have more energy and do yoga (did that pre op), dance, weight lift, swim, and hike. i dont eat out much, but didnt pre op. my H is gluten free and we didnt eat fast food or junk foods before anyway. one other thing that changed for me... i used to watch the food network all the time. i broke up with the food network. i have been reading more, less TV.... and when i watch... not food TV... is my life normal? i guess. is it the same as it used to be. nope. and that is just fine with me. my quality of life is much improved over what it what. thats why i had this surgery!

do you not think that losing weight is going to IMPROVE your quality of life? what is it you really want? to get healthy or keeping eating like you have been? you should decide now, this surgery isnt reversible!

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

scared to death about my quality of life after a surgery.

RogerSmith1970

hey dude,

welcome to the neighborhood

always great to see another handsome face (i mean you silly head :lol: )

your feelings/emotions - being scared, excited, nervous et al are common to some/many/most (me)waiting for surgery

"A day in the life"..of a very proudgrammy

My "normal" day pre WLS, hmmmmmmmmm

7 years ago at the age of 53 years OLD do to many physical limitations/problem i had to take early retirement :angry:

I would wake up in the morning, and turn over and go back to sleep til whenever

no motivation or reason to get up :wacko:

only went downhill from there

writing the above is pathetic :( so i'm going to give you a pleasent update

as my sig says - i am now 60 years YOUNG!! :) (instead of 57 years OLD)

i am 2.5 years PO and maintaining at goal this past 1.5 + years

my doc told me to "throw" out my diabetes meds/insulin - high blood pressure meds and CPAP!!

every morning i get up with anticipation of what the new day will bring :)

i am so healthy, feel wonderful mentally

just want to get out of the house and do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING

i want to and DO/must keep moving

love my volunteer job/work (i would never have PUT myself out in public before)

can't say enough how my life has changed for the better

my good/but now great 23 year marriage has improved do to feeling better about myself :)

my happiness overflowing to my hubby

last but not least, as they say "I eat to live" no longer "live to eat"

this is MY new normal :)

wishing you a wonderful new normal healthier, happier, longer, life

good luck with surgery :)

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I agree with all of the others. My new normal is wayyyyy better than my old normal. It's all about who is in control of what goes in my mouth. Before surgery, it was anything and everything, and I never got full. My stomach was never even close to functioning as it was meant to. It was stretched and bloated and talked back to me every day with reflux and nausea.

Now, I can choose healthy foods not made in a factory, eat smaller more reasonable amounts, and I feel better when I am done. My body is responding happily to eating more nutritious food. Yeah, my hunger head had a tantrum for a while, but the further out I get, the more control I have.

The foods that I avoid are the ones that were not doing me any favors anyway. I sip Water all day long, but 4 ounces in any fifteen minute period is my comfort level. Actually, I drink much more fluids than I did before, just not the same time with food. However.......if I eat something spicy, I will take a sip to rinse around my mouth. No harm has been done. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck and good health.

I'm 8 months post-op and 85 pounds down... I have lost... an Olsen Twin.

It's different. I feel fullness less in my stomach and more in my chest\throat now.

Since about month 4, I've been able to eat whatever I like in small quantities. Rice was the last hold out, but I can do that now too as long as I take it slow. I drink alcohol on occasion, (even a beer sometimes!) but not nearly like used to. I do not drink even diet soda. Just a choice. I don't really want it anymore and the carbonation is supposed to be bad for my sleeve.

I can't gulp, but I can drink normal mouthfuls of Water. Took a few months to get there, but feels perfectly normal now.

I'm up at 4:30 am and on the exercise bike for an hour every work day. I burn 500-600 calories per the heart rate monitor. I look forward to it now as I get to feed my NetFlix addiction for an hour a day, I've developed a good habit and it allows me to eat pretty much what I like in small quantities and still lose weight. I take a handful of Vitamins and I have 1 egg with a slice of cheese for Breakfast. I Am. Full. I have a scoop of Protein powder in my coffee, (bonus 20g). I work. Have a handful of almonds about 9am. Some of them have thick dark chocolate! High Protein lunch followed by a high protein dinner, (typically 3 oz of some kind of meat each meal) and I've hit my 80g of protein for the day and stayed under 1000 calories. If I want an afternoon snack or something I have it. If I'm busy, probably won't bother. Afternoons\evenings\weekends are motorcycle riding, dating, yard work, dog walking, festivals, movies, TV, shopping for smaller clothes. I wear a 4 or a 6 now after having been an 18. I finish the day with another Multivitamin and 1 Omeprazole, (stomach acid reducer) the only prescription I take after giving up 3 BP meds, cholesterol meds, several asthma meds, etc. Life. Is. GOOD!

Edited by bikrchk