Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changed my mind

Have been working towards a sleeve since February and finally was given a date for Sept 2nd but surg suggested bypass. I feel a little unprepared because all my research has been for the sleeve. What has been your experience for recovery? How many days in the hospital?

Originally I was going to get the sleeve but after doing a lot of research and soul searching switched to bypass which I am having 6/24. The hospital time is the same but you will need to be more careful with diet after to avoid dumping. I believe the recovery time is the same since both are done with a scope. Hope this helps.

Thank you appreciate the help. It makes sense that the r

You have a long time still to research the RNY. Why did your surgeon suggest that? That would be a great place to start. I did my research too and picked RNY and my surgeon concurred so it was a no brainer for me. He/She must have had reasons for why. It is great that you are changing your life soon for your health. Congratulations!

Edited by Sparklingbeauty53

Sorry didn't finish my thought but it does make sense that the recovery time is the same. Good luck with your surgery I will look for posts to see how it goes.

I had my lapband removed and rny bypass done at the same time and I went home the very next morning. I felt awesome and have continued to feel that way. I'm 3 weeks out.

<p>You have a long time still to research the RNY. Why did your surgeon suggest that? That would be a great place to start. I did my research too and picked RNY and my surgeon concurred so it was a no brainer for me. He/She must have had reasons for why. It is great that you are changing your life soon for your health. Congratulations!</p>

He suggested it because I am insulin dependent and RNY has a higher rate of getting off of insulin. You are correct I have a while to start my research again snd wanted to start with personal experience and went right here. Thank you for the encouragement.

Wow that is fantastic! Makes me feel a little easier. I must admit I can't help but smile all the time, even though it is a ways off reading everyone's posts it seems to go fast.

I got the book The Big Book on Gastric Bypass and found it very helpful. It has information on every aspect of the surgery such as pre op preparation,post op diet and the surgery itself, I read the entire book but as my date gets closer find I myself looking back frequently. Just a suggestion.

Thank you so much I will get the book this weekend.

4 and a half months out. so far, so good ! I was in the hospital for 24 hours, and back at work, two weeks to the day. good luck!

Wow only 24 hours and back to work in 2 weeks. I am beginning to feel better about this. Thank you

@@joy59

When I went in a year ago, I had the mindset of having the band removed and over to sleeve. My surgeon also suggested the bypass from the lap band. His main reason was that I would get the acid reflux like many do with the sleeve and I wouldn't get that with the bypass. On Tuesday of this week, I had the band completely removed and had the bypass. Feel pretty good. I plan to be back to work in two weeks.

Glad to hear you are doing well right after surgery. You are starting the journey over and I give you a lot of credit and wishing the very best for you.

I wanted to get the sleeve as well. I have diabetes and GERD and was bluntly told no to the sleeve from the doctor. Sure my feelings were hurt but now i am having the RNY in a 11 days and I am very satisfied with my decision. I read Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies and The Big Book on Gastric Bypass. Both are good reads.