Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't stop thinking about food O_o

For the first time in my now 2 plus years post op after kicking 140 lbs, I can't seem to shake food, the thought of it, cravings, and the need for it. There was a time when I could eat like I was on the two week pre op diet, even the month post op, and be more than fine and then there's now where every thought revolves around what I could eat.

It's kind of scaring me. I got down to being 20 lbs away from my goal weight to climbing back up to 30 lbs away. Anybody have this issue, and how does it pass??

Just a side note because someone is bound to come to the conclusion. I am not expecting.

Does it ever pass? lol

I'm having this issue as well. I think the best thing I could suggest is distraction and don't have anything available to snack on! (Or just do healthy snacks)

Congrats! and Good luck!

It does pass every so often yes, I feel like since I've been busier I've been giving myself excuses to eat out and more often. If I had more time at home I'd be in a better place. Thanks much!

You and I have very close statistics, except for the dates we were banded. As stated by @@ErinMarie, does it ever pass? I sure hope so, and I sure hope this is just a short time where you are becoming obsessed by food. I think I will always have THE FEAR of going back to my old ways of eating and of not exercising. I try to use that fear as a daily motivator to keep exercising and to keep logging food intake. No words of wisdom, just good wishes coming your way!

Maybe you have too much time on your hands? Idle minds and all you know? My work and my workouts consume most of my thoughts. So I think of food but only about how I can make meals more tasty using healthier ingredients.

I think about food ALOT. However, in my defense, I love anything food related, not just eatin it. I love grocery shopping, The Food Network,( Pioneer Woman, Unwrapped, Down Home with the Neelys, Paula Deen etc ) collecting historical cookbooks, and because of a remodeled kitchen last year, im finally taking an interest in cooking. ( Diabetic hubby is very happy ! ) So, maybe , hopefully, this is why you're so interested in food ? Alot of interests dont make you gain weight, (knitting, reading , hiking etc) but my interest does if im not careful. Maybe make healthy cooking your new "hobby?" Then at least you have a reason to have it on your mind ! Good luck!

I'm coming up on 4 years soon, and every now and then the same will happen to me...,however, for me, the band itself will hold me in check and make it impossible to over indulge...so the feelings pass, and over time become less and less...sort of behavior modification....

But I am one of the few who depends upon my band to do the work I could never do through my own determination and will power....tried it many times in the past, failed every single time....so my PCP finally referred me to this surgery, which is the only thing that has ever truly worked......

I know many people here are afraid of slipping back to their old ways, and speaking for myself only, I still cannot understand that could happen to myself, unless something happened where I would need to get my band un-filled...

I read many stories like that here....where people have gotten off track, and it always appears to e that somewhere in their story they had the Fluid removed, for whatever reason....

I cook a lot for others, enjoy production cooking, etc. So I do think about food a lot but without eating much. Also I like growing food. At this time of year gardening energy is very consuming and then we will be making sauces etc., for the freezer, big salads for get-togethers, etc. I think it's good to love food but of course just in small amounts at appropriate intervals. I have found that if I tell myself it's okay, I'll be eating again in 4-5 hours, that helps me shake off an occasional panic of wanting to eat more but can't, shouldn't, etc. It's okay, I can have some more later. This is very different from my years of highly-restrictive behavior where I'd always be thinking it was now or never because surely there would only be hunger and starvation later. Don't have to tell you where that got me!

I'm three and a half years post op and unfortunately I still think of food all the time. I am active but it constantly plagues me. Fortunately, my band is doing its job of not allowing me to overindulge with eating. I simply cannot overeat and believe me if I do, I will throw it all back up. That happened to me just the other day for the first time in a couple years. Just because we have this band around our bellies doesn't mean its going to control what we think and feel.

I have been banded nearly 18 months and have given away 90 plus pounds. I find I think of food more now than in the beginning. The pink cloud period is over. We have done what we wanted to do and the weight is gone. Now, what do we do? I make sure I don't watch cooking shows, shopping net work, etc. Then when I do go shopping i go down the outside aisles around the store and stay out of the inside aisles where all my old foods are located, candy, popcorn, sugar, etc. Protein and and veggies and some frozen veggies and sugar free popsicles and cat food (God forbid I forget the cat food) and home I go. " I need to enjoy my food because I am eating today the way I will eat for the rest of my life."

Edited by LeeB1946

Sounds like you’re describing my life! Honestly this is what I think……

If we’ve gotten to the point of needing WLS, we have issues LOL. Well an addiction. I completely believe food is like a drug and is addictive. Like alcoholics for example, just because they quit drinking doesn’t mean they don’t crave a drink still! They have their goods days and their bad days, just like us. Sometimes we all relapse and for some people it’s more extreme than for others. I’ve been relapsing for the last 2 yrs and put 30lbs back on. Yuck! I think the only way it passes for us bandsters is when we’ve had enough of backsliding. I have finally had enough and have gotten 5 of the 30lbs I gained off. I’m trying to remember that consistency is key. There is no end to this new lifestyle like there is with a diet. You got this, just remind yourself that you’re worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)