Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym (lifting) frustrations

I'm a year out now and I've been exercising since the beginning. Walking at first, then jogging/running. I attend yoga classes, BodyFlow classes (think: yoga, Pilates), CxWorx (core exercise classes), and workout at home (30 lb weight & body weight exercises). I'm just so happy with my 112 lb weight loss!

Here's my frustration:

When I was 170 -180 lbs (nearly a decade ago), I used to lift heavier weights (bench press 75 lbs, leg press +900). So, nowhere near bodybuilder, but somewhat strong for a girl under 5'. I then gained weight/ stopped exercising/ stopped lifting... Then came wls... My current weight is 128 lbs.

I figured I wouldn't be able to lift what I used to, but I didn't realize I'd be this weak. The BAR feels heavy. No really, just the bar. And leg press? 126 lbs. I feel so weak. I hate it.

Yeah, yeah, Rome wasn't built in a day. Lol

I'm trying to look at it this way: GREAT, I HAVE NEW GOALS TO WORK ON.

But inside, I'm like, damn, what did you do to yourself???

Anyway, maybe this was more of a rant? Sorry.

But any advice from those of you who enjoy weights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

????

@@Mrs.RRn, have you tried the BodyPump class? It is based more on low weight / high rep so if your looking for bulk then it may not be for you. I enjoyed the class just to gain muscle in the right areas for form so I didn't hurt myself starting off lifting.

Try the 5X5 method. Google it and you will see. Basically adding 5 lbs to everything each week over 12 weeks. Doing squats 3 times a week and big leg days 2 times a week. Low rep high weight will get you back up there. Might put on a lot of muscle with it but that's ok!

Thanks. My gym offers that, and it's really fun. But I was looking more for heavier weights, lower reps.

Try the 5X5 method. Google it and you will see. Basically adding 5 lbs to everything each week over 12 weeks. Doing squats 3 times a week and big leg days 2 times a week. Low rep high weight will get you back up there. Might put on a lot of muscle with it but that's ok!

Thanks!

2nd for 5x5! The "StrongLifts 5x5" is a great app!

I just started the Stronglifts 5x5 this week to change things up. I was finding that I struggled trying to lift anywhere near what I was. I had been doing squats previous on and off so incorporating them into Stronglifts wasn't a big shock other then I'm lifting much heavier (225), and the low reps. My body is pretty sore, but that's a good thing! :)

+1 for the Stronglifts 5x5...I'm hoping to see results in upper body strength! My legs are a machine now that I'm into running all the time!

I'll def be trying 5x5. Sounds like what I need.

Thanks y'all!!

5x5 looks really promising and I think it will be my next exercise program after finishing current 3 month workout plan. I also need time to research and find funds to set up a home rack to do 5x5. I am sure Craig's list will have some deals on quality racks and Olympic bars/plates. I really like the simple premise of it and the focus on just heavy compound lifts. If it becomes too pricy for a home setup, I would either need to go back to cross fit (they live on this stuff) or find a local gym that has a good setup. I would rather do it at home though for flexibility.

Mrs.......I am dealing with the same thing......presurgery...years ago.....big time body builder.....heavy weight ...but post surgery, all the strength is gone......remember a few things....carb loading.....we don't do that anymore....ever...it's just not part of our diet.....I'd say that accounts for 25-30 % of strength.....secondly! our age.....we are probably mzny years removed from those heyday weights....and also! it's a mass thing.....even back then! I was still 30 or more lbs heavier than my current weight.......so don't stress about the numbers...just know that any weight you lift is better than no weight.....and sldo that without the carb loading that our diets used to have, we will be comparatively weaker than we were......just keep doing what you do?..you've done well for yourself since ether weight Loss......

I'm a year out now and I've been exercising since the beginning. Walking at first, then jogging/running. I attend yoga classes, BodyFlow classes (think: yoga, Pilates), CxWorx (core exercise classes), and workout at home (30 lb weight & body weight exercises). I'm just so happy with my 112 lb weight loss!

Here's my frustration:

When I was 170 -180 lbs (nearly a decade ago), I used to lift heavier weights (bench press 75 lbs, leg press +900). So, nowhere near bodybuilder, but somewhat strong for a girl under 5'. I then gained weight/ stopped exercising/ stopped lifting... Then came wls... My current weight is 128 lbs.

I figured I wouldn't be able to lift what I used to, but I didn't realize I'd be this weak. The BAR feels heavy. No really, just the bar. And leg press? 126 lbs. I feel so weak. I hate it.

Yeah, yeah, Rome wasn't built in a day. Lol

I'm trying to look at it this way: GREAT, I HAVE NEW GOALS TO WORK ON.

But inside, I'm like, damn, what did you do to yourself???

Anyway, maybe this was more of a rant? Sorry.

But any advice from those of you who enjoy weights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking you have to consider % of body weight. If you used to bench 100 and that was say 1/2 your body weight, if you're 150 now half your weight is 75 pounds. I know it's probably something you've thought of but it's valid.

I'm only 4 days out from surgery but I had started lifting about 10 weeks just before surgery and I'm looking forward to getting back into it. Over that 10 weeks I gained 10 pounds of muscle and dropped 4% body fat. Not too shabby! lol

This is an interesting web site for those interested in strength training please take it with a grain of salt as it's run by a bunch of meat heads. There is some good information to be had.

http://www.t-nation.com/

Here's one more and another of my favorite sites.

http://bretcontreras.com/

Fiddle, you can get a decent rack for $300 ish new. Maybe not a rogue or triton but not sure you need that. Bumpers are cheap at dicks sports. The bar however..... You pay for quality.

Fiddle, you can get a decent rack for $300 ish new. Maybe not a rogue or triton but not sure you need that. Bumpers are cheap at dicks sports. The bar however..... You pay for quality.

I like this rogue rack because it contains a lot of the desired functions and is high quality:

http://www.roguefitness.com/rm-6-monster-rack

$2800+...ouch!

Where could I find something of similar functionality but not such a sticker shock?

Well ya, that rack is sweet. Lol... I will see if I can find it again but I found one with muscle up rings, dead lift rack, squat rack, pull up bar, bench and bar with 235# of bumpers for $599