Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How The Heck Do You Guys Do It?!

How do you remain motivated to work out? I can't seem to stay motivated. I'll exercise a day or two and it seems life gets in the way. LOL I allow it to get in the way and use it as an excuse. I realize I would lose more, yet can't seem to keep my butt motivated. Any tricks out there? I admit, I am moving around far more than I did before surgery. I am not consistent. How you guys stay motivated?

How do you remain motivated to work out? I can't seem to stay motivated. I'll exercise a day or two and it seems life gets in the way. LOL I allow it to get in the way and use it as an excuse. I realize I would lose more, yet can't seem to keep my butt motivated. Any tricks out there? I admit, I am moving around far more than I did before surgery. I am not consistent. How you guys stay motivated?

A couple things: first, you have a limited window (1 to 1.5 years) to work with where you need to get off all the weight you can because outside of that window it could be as difficult to lose weight as it was presurgery. This fact alone should make it a priority in your life. Two, you need to find an activity (ideally activities) that you enjoy. I discovered running. I have friends who bicycle and that would bore me to death. Running bores them lol! Third, I found that setting goals kept me motivated to continue. For me it was being able to run continuously for as long as possible without walking. This was too vague of a goal so I started losing interest. Someone mentioned doing a 5k (which I had never done) and I started training for it. I finally worked up the ability to run 3 miles without walking. The first time I did it I was on the treadmill in the middle of the gym crying lol! The next goal was to be able to do 10k without walking. Accomplished that! Now I am into week 4 of working on a half-marathon training plan. I'd like to do it without walking but the first one will be all about finishing (and getting one of those silly 13.1 stickers to put on my car (and possibly a tattoo of the same!). A frequent question at this point is whether I will ever do a full marathon. I refuse to consider that until I've done a half marathon or two (don't want to get discouraged by overreaching). Lastly, it's said that it takes 21 days for an activity to become a habit. Find your activity and keep doing it until it's something you do as a necessity without thinking (like brushing your teeth or putting on deodorant ever day). It could take you less than 21 days or maybe more, either way keep at it.

Weight-loss surgery gave us a second chance - it's up to us to squeeze everything we can out of it.

For me my motivation comes from how I feel when I'm done with the workout and finding a workout I like.

I do 3 days cardio and 3 days weights --Chalene Johnson's Chalene Extreme. It is tough and the first week I hurt, but now - I look forward to it. I feel guilty if I can't for some reason. I also play tennis a couple times a week.

Find something you really like - that way it doesn't feel like a workout - it 's more fun than it should be.

first of all you need to find something you love and do it!

then you need to schedule it into your week. block off the time to do it. dont just "hope" it happens. third, rehearse in your minds eye going to work out several times a day. see yourself getting ready to workout, see yourself doing it and then see yourself feeling happy and satisfied afterwards. and remember it takes 6-8 weeks to form a new habit. sometimes more.

Group fitness! I found a weight based group fitness class that I really enjoy. We all help to motivate each other during and out of class. Accountability partners are also very important. I know that if I don't show up that I will not only be letting myself down but my partner and group. It has worked for me, just find what works for you.

You have to find something you like. I believe that is the key. Try a bunch of different stuff, even things you would ordinarily never try. I now do gentle and slow flow yoga (big surprise for me) and I walk a lot. Sometimes I'll do stationary bike. I hate working out. If you don't like doing something, you will soon dread it.

I think the reason a lot of us gain weight is because we put ourselves last on our own to do list. We have spouses/kids/pets and not to mention full time jobs...Do don't let "life" be your excuse to fall to the back of your list. After all, how can you take care of your spouse/kids/pets and do your job if you let your own well being fall by the wayside. I'm done letting Andrea be at the bottom of the list. I gotta look out for me because I cannot assume anyone else is going to!

Having said that, I go to a gym because I will not work out at home. I will sit my butt on the couch and watch reruns of Kitchen Crashers. So I know if I'm spending the money to join a gym I will go. And then I make sure to check in on Facebook so people know I go.

I agree with posters above, finding something you enjoy is key. Before my surgery I thought I hated exercise. I was worried that exercise would be the hardest part of this for me. I looked on Amazon local and there were all kinds of deals for zumba, yoga, crossfit sessions, etc. I bought a 10 class package of Zumba classes and started pre-surgery. Zumba is it for me! I love going! When I think about it now, dancing was something I really enjoyed as a teenager so it makes sense that I've "re-discovered" it. Think of what you liked doing as a child/young adult and maybe that is a place to start!

Believe it or not, fun workout clothes are also inspiring.

Make it part of your routine daily (or every other day or whatever). Make it not optional. I also set goals and that motivates me. I love to run (after I complete a run...lol) so I will sign up for an upcoming 5k or similar race and it motivates me to train for that. I am very goal-oriented so that works for me. As you do more, you will find that you love the way it makes you feel and you will fall into an ease of routine.

I pre-paid for my trainer to come to my house. Hard to flake out after handing over a bunch of money and then having them knock on your door in the morning.

I actually really enjoy working out. I worked out at least 4 times a week pre surgery. It became addicting to where I "needed" to work out. Whenever I get in a rut though I buy new workout clothes. Sounds cheesy, but they make workout clothes so cute these days that I just can't wait to wear them (while doing physical activity of course). Even buying a new pair of running shoes makes me want to hit the gym.

I work out with other people that will give me a hard time if I try to bail! I walk three mornings a week with a few friends and I work out with a trainer two mornings a week. I run with my daughter on Sundays. All of those people have permission to harass me if I try to cancel, and they do!

That worked to get me started. Now I look forward to it and feel icky on the days I skip my workout.