Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ontario support!

Hey Ontario :) I'm super early in the entire process (just saw my Dr. last week for a referral), but I'm curious about some realistic waiting periods and such. I'm getting referred to the centre in Hamilton, so now I'm not-so-patiently waiting to hear from them. Can anyone share some info as to how long their process took from here on out until actual surgery? I'm wanting the sleeve :)

Thanks!

Edited by kel_05

Hi, I'm from Ontario (Kingston) but I am going the private route. My bmi is not high enough for OHIP to cover it. My surgery is June 30. Took me about 3 months from the time I started talking to the company to my date of surgery.

Between my horrible BMI, and sleep apnea at my age...I'm lucky enough (if you want to call it that ha!) to qualify for coverage. 3 months isn't as bad as I thought though :) So you haven't had to start the lovely liquid diet then? End of the month is coming soon! I'm sure you're excited

I have been on a 2 week high Protein, low car pre op diet. I start week #1 (of 2) liquids on Monday. 2 weeks and 5 days to go for surgery!

Hi kel...I am 2 months post-op having the sleeve done in Hamilton. My wait time from referral going in to surgery was just under a year. From what I have learned talking with people in the clinic, I am a rare case of getting through the process quickly. The word now is people who had their orientation in April will expect to get their first appointment by Dec 2014. Good news is once you have your first appointment with the nurse and dietitian things move quick. I will give you a bit of advice, once you get your orientation letter get all the test your Dr needs to book done quick and your blood work. If you can take all the cancellation appointments that come available and if it looks like surgery might be around a holiday take it. Most people will pass over those because they don't want to be on the restricted diet over a holiday. I took mine over Easter because no a lot of others didn't want to because of short notice.

Trust me the time will got by quicker then you think but keep your head up and your eye on the future. Oh yeah you will get to voice your opinion as to which surgery you want but the surgeon is the one who makes the decision on which one is the best for you. I was suppose to have the by-pass but once Dr got in he decided he couldn't safely do the by-pass. I am happy with the sleeve, but weight loss is slower then the by-pass. hope this helps

Took me nearly two years...but I had a cancer diagnosis midway through that kinda put the brakes on the process.

They weren't going to approve me for surgery, but my oncologist was in my corner and fighting for me, so he talked to the WL surgeon and told him it's necessary for my survival at this point. Then things moved along pretty darn quickly.

It will take time luv...but keep your eyes on the prize and use the time to research and to prepare yourself.

*hugs*

Hi, I'm from Ontario (Kingston) but I am going the private route. My bmi is not high enough for OHIP to cover it. My surgery is June 30. Took me about 3 months from the time I started talking to the company to my date of surgery.

Hi. Would you mind sharing which clinic you used and how it went. I'm considering the private route as well.

Hey Ontario :) I'm super early in the entire process (just saw my Dr. last week for a referral), but I'm curious about some realistic waiting periods and such. I'm getting referred to the centre in Hamilton, so now I'm not-so-patiently waiting to hear from them. Can anyone share some info as to how long their process took from here on out until actual surgery? I'm wanting the sleeve :)

Thanks!

Hey @kel_05. I'm exactly where you were in 2014. how did your process go, was it a long wait?