Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

round one of test results are back

Okay, I am doing pretty good, but have had some issues in recent months that warranted follow up. My PCP did some basic screening tests which just came back. The only thing that is "off" is hemocratic is high which is a sign my B levels might be low. I take the sublingual drops but they told me that often people post WLS just can't absorb properly so I may need to switch to injections.

Good news is that no signs of problems in thyroid, other blood work etc.

Next round is the results of the Micronutrient testing via Spectracell Laboratories. This takes 3 weeks to come back as it is a different kind of test. We won't make any supplement decisions until those results are in.

I think most of my issues are really behavior induced. I got kinda down which triggered a loss of appetite. Not eating makes you not feel good. Not sleeping makes you feel even worse. I am still very active lifestyle, but I am no longer working out and just feel weaker and weaker. Well, maybe I feel mentally weaker since I still move hay, clean out horse stalls, ride all day long etc so it isn't like I am a weakling... I just FEEL less robust. So, it is kind of weird that everybody tells me i look so fabulous when in truth I don't feel as vigorous as I did say a year ago. I am lighter (yeah!) but not necessarily healthier.

Anyway I am forcing myself to eat more consistently, and in general my appetite is better. I am managing my sleep assertively (which interferes with my social life - ha!). Once I get the nutritional analysis I will adjust supplements as needed and then I am committed to getting back to working out and getting back my old energetic self.

I do want to share something I have been trying that some of you may want to consider. I did not stay on a PPI past the first few months post sleeve. When I lost my appetite, one of the theories was tummy troubles so I went back on my PPI for 14 days. I seemed to feel better, but I had never really felt acid reflux and since I don't really know the problem it is hard to say if the PPI helped. Anyway, my doc likes natural remedies and suggested DGL Ultra which is a chocolate flavored digestive relief product.... and it seems to really work! I am not saying it is right for everyone, but if you are wanting to wean off a ppi, it is something to consider.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/enzymatic-therapy-dgl-ultra-german-chocolate-90-chewable-tablets/et-1742?psource=SHIPNOW&sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=40-60&keyword=ET-1742&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-40-60-_-ET-1742&cvosrc=cse.google.et-1742&cvo_cid=38296708549&gclid=CjgKEAjw2dqcBRC2q-LXjpfxjnQSJAAeYF5LztttN98cih354QrvYFjdUE_o3S2ZPUdOj5HqZ3r3ivD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#.U5cfzCgn-Uk

Thanks Cowgirl for catching us up. I don't like to pry so I wait and see what happens. I'm glad you said something.

Thanks also for sharing that. I do better with natural stuff too.

When you said "hemocratic" were you talking about hematocrit or the MCV? MCV would indicate a B12 deficiency. I want to make sure I'm not missing any thing.

I have just had, three years post-op, to start taking B12 injections, cos my levels suddenly went wayyyyy down. Which they said is not unusual. Apart from the injections being minorly painful (not the needles, but the compound itself is a bit burn-y going in. Haven't noticed any difference from doing them, but they said I need them and I'm a compliant patient... ;-)

Thanks for the update and info about DGL. I'm gonna check it out.

Low B12 levels could have triggered a mild depression and certainly will affect your energy level and sense of well being. If I remember correctly you had plastic surgery and although very happy with your result the enforced inactivity of the healing period caused you to feel a bit down. Could it all be a part of your body's response to the surgery? I'm glad you are following thru, taking good care of yourself and keeping us informed. Hugs!

If your B12 levels are low you might consider getting genetic testing done to see if you have a MTHFR mutation. I got mine through 23&me. They no longer give you a report on your genetics but you can run one through Livewello. I have 2 MTHFR mutations so I switched to Methyl B12 and Methyl Folate. I felt so much better after I switched. My body doesn't use the other forms of these supplements correctly.

I am interested in your results from your macronutrient testing...please keep us posted on what you learn!

I will share and they should be here any day now.

I do think a nutrients issue could definitely trigger a mild depression but I think the truth is a lifetime of anxiety has been stuffed down with food and is now coming home to roost so to speak. I am doing great at the moment and learning (i hope) to retrain my brain how to react.

Yesterday was my kiddos college graduation so I spent the whole ceremony plus a dinner party after with my ex husband his girlfriend his mother and other relatives PLUS my ex boyfriend of 15 years who is the kids step dad PLUS other relatives. I wondered how stressed I would feel with all the ex's etc. but I felt great, no anxiety and a huge appetite. It was a wonderful day as it should be -very proud of my boy.

A huge and well-deserved shout-out to you, CGJ! All that in one day would put ANYONE in big-time stress mode!!! Congrats on that great milestone for you and your son. . .

I got the results...good news is my blood work remains outstanding good. My PCP says she wishes hers were so good. To me the only clue was my glucose....79 and I was not fasting. One random reading means nothing but that is pretty low for non fasting.

I've been reading that reactive hypoglycemia is pretty common for WLS patients that are 18+ months out. I've been having episodes of it and finding that I need to eat more frequent meals and a snack before bed. I have it when I'm sleeping and wake up with horrible night sweats.

Mine have gone at that point and were thought normal but once the food is decreased, my glucose levels drop the same also.

night sweats are caused by low blood sugar? I get them sometimes too... but could not figure out why... I am not hot when it happens (that i notice)

night sweats are caused by low blood sugar? I get them sometimes too... but could not figure out why... I am not hot when it happens (that i notice)

They can be caused by reactive hypoglycemia, which I have found is common in WLS patients that are 18+ months out. Mine are not menopause (hysterectomy 5 yrs ago) and the docs did a bunch of tests to rule out cancer. I final started tweaking my diet and have figured out how to get rid if them.